Offense Coordinator

It’s not Chaney, he’s the same guy that ran high powered offenses at Georgia and Tennessee previously. It’s the head coach not knowing what to do except control the plays so JG won’t fumble and he won’t be the laughing stock every game. It’s called cover you a$$ until you figure something out.

I don’t think Chaney is the issue. This is Pruitt’s offense.
Bingo! It just amazes me people cannot see this. Chaney's past history does not match what is going on. Further, our defense has not exactly been stellar either! Changing assistants is not going to fix the problem. I think it is to the point where the assistants are fed up with Pruitt's micromanagement and the players have definately quit on this program.

Reactions: hog88
I read an article talking about how we are near the bottom of the NCAA in using presnap motion and how it makes us predictable. Chaney has been in the game a long time and JG has been around a long time as well. I wonder why we don't try to use motion to help read the defense and cause confusion? It seems like a simple thing to add back into the offense considering we haven't been starting a true freshman or inexperienced QB. I guess I'm just baffled as to why we aren't even trying to be creative on offense considering we aren't loaded with studs that can overpower other teams.

Reactions: ReelfootVol
Long time no post.

Sorry but I have no idea what Chaney is doing but evidently our opposing Defense Coordinators do. I mean come on we are gashing for yards run after run and have momentum and then next play empty backfield pass play and lose any momentum we had. Also watch alot of OC attack one side of field to setup opposite big plays and we just seem to call random plays. Just at a loss!!!!

QB development in year 3 is unacceptable
I think Pruitt probably told him to run the damn ball, then told him to be aggressive. He's just doing what he's told. Everyone knows this is not a true Chaney offense

I read an article talking about how we are near the bottom of the NCAA in using presnap motion and how it makes us predictable. Chaney has been in the game a long time and JG has been around a long time as well. I wonder why we don't try to use motion to help read the defense and cause confusion? It seems like a simple thing to add back into the offense considering we haven't been starting a true freshman or inexperienced QB. I guess I'm just baffled as to why we aren't even trying to be creative on offense considering we aren't loaded with studs that can overpower other teams.
Too fancy for Pruitt😒

UT offense is 107th out of 123 FBS teams...

JG has a 68% “catchable pass” rating. That means 32%, or 1/3 of his passes are not catchable...

Run game seems okay, but we are one-dimensional.

Chaney? No.

Pruitt and JG. JG has to go, and Pruitt has to change...or go as well.

JMO.
Where did you find that catchable pass % and whete does JG rank??

I have to wonder about the game with Arkansas. It was almost like Chaney got tired of being chewed out for not running the ball more and he said O.K., here you go "cornbread" this is what it looks like when we only do one thing and the other team adjusts to it. They need to put in Bailey and start slinging the ball around like Chaney usually does and mix in a varied running game. Up the middle every single time will eventually be stopped. It sure seems like there is a disconnect somewhere. We have enough talent to at least look competent and compete. Right now they look like the couldn't beat a good Georgia high school team.

I understand why they wanted to run against Arkansas, they have one of the worst run Defense's in the country. They also are very opportunistic in the secondary with interception's. Obviously they didn't trust our starting QB to throw and tried to shorten the game by running Gray 19 times in the 1st half. There was numerous times we had Receiver's open vs Ark and JG was late recognizing it and then had to go with his check downs. How does a 5 yr senior with his experience still be so slow at recognizing and decision making?

How can Lon Chaney read the defenses when he can't see past his belly to see the field???

Totally agree here.
Chaney has been around awhile and seems unwilling to evolve his game.

Now a lot on here are going to argue that it's Pruitt micromanaging and cuffing Chaney. Yet others will say lack of talented QB to run his scheme.

Either way, let's say for the sake of discussion, Pruitt makes a change at OC.
Who's available?
Who do you like?
Doesn’t matter what chef you hire for your restaurant when the pantry is empty

I understand why they wanted to run against Arkansas, they have one of the worst run Defense's in the country. They also are very opportunistic in the secondary with interception's. Obviously they didn't trust our starting QB to throw and tried to shorten the game by running Gray 19 times in the 1st half. There was numerous times we had Receiver's open vs Ark and JG was late recognizing it and then had to go with his check downs. How does a 5 yr senior with his experience still be so slow at recognizing and decision making?
Because he's not a good QB. He has some skills, has heart, etc. but it takes more than that to be a QB.

Just look at it! LSU NEVER has had a passing offense like they had with Joe Burrow. Was it Joe Burrow? I don’t think so. If he was so good, how come he never got on the field at Ohio State?

You do know they had a guy named Dwayne Haskins he was competing with don't you...... They were running neck to neck when Joe broke his hand in practice and from there Haskins surged ahead.

Where did you find that catchable pass % and whete does JG rank??

It was a screen post during the UT - Arky game, and the announcers talked about it.

I'm just guessing here, but if 1/3 of your passes are deemed "uncatchable".....I'd say that ranks him at or near the bottom of the SEC, and likely the FBS.

I've said this before: Love his heart, but an SEC QB he is not. For the life of me I cannot fathom how Coach Pruitt decided to hitch his wagon to that horse. Jim Chaney has to be on anti-seizure meds just to get through game day.

This will be a significantly better football team once we have a legitimate passing threat at QB.

Go Vols.

Yes I do, so are you arguing that Haskins and Barrett would have had the same kind of season at LSU that Burrows did? With or Without Joe Brady? Not really sure what your arguing.

Yes I do, so are you arguing that Haskins and Barrett would have had the same kind of season at LSU that Burrows did? With or Without Joe Brady? Not really sure what your arguing.
Burrow didn’t have the same kind of season Burrow had at LSU...without Brady.

Reactions: ALLVOL 4LIFE
I don’t think Chaney is the issue. This is Pruitt’s offense.

Nah, it's Chaney. He became enamored with the tight formations during his time in the NFL in the mold of Shanahan. It is a potent offense but it puts a huge amount of pressure on the QB. For example, Matt Ryan had a very difficult time in his first yr in the system and that is an NFL veteran working full time.

The whole idea of Chaney's O is to have receivers that can force defenders out of the box due to their ability to break out and to outnumber the D in the box. The problem in the college game is everything happens very fast and most college QBs can't make the reads quickly enough and defenders are in position to blitz from any position at any level.

Chaney put up good numbers at UGA vs average teams because he literally had a kid that could hang with an NFL team at every position but as soon as he played a D with comparable talent, the O fell flat. Chaney tried to ram a round peg, Eason, into his square O at UGA and he's doing the same with JG. Put JG in the gun and let him throw down the field and he is pretty good. Put him under center and try to run a complex NFL scheme...

VN Store

Back