OC by end of week!

It's going to be Deboring around here till spring.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Reactions: 2 people
I hope it is Debord. The one piece this offense needs fixed is the Oline, I think that will get fixed for sure if he is the choice. Him and Azzani will be fine as Co OC and I think that is probably the best bet to keep the rest of the offensive staff intact. Azzani sticks around pads his resume and learns a bit, offensive staff stays intact. I know that's not the sizzle that people have hoped for but I do believe consistency is a strong, strong thing for us to be successful.

So two oline coaches and no QB coach... While we have 1 non freshman QB on scholly. Sounds brilliant.

Reactions: 1 person
No matter who it ends up being you all know good and well some people are going to hate the hire. I don't think it matters as much as some may think as long as they run Butch's offense, which is most certainly what they will do. What's more interesting is that some people are already complaining about a potential OC, but wishing for a position coach to take the reigns. To me that's way more of a risk. I'd say we just wait this one out, trust who he hires, and move along from there.

Reactions: 2 people
I just hope its not the Seahawks OC

Yeah man, too h e l l with some guy coming off back to back Superbowls.

If Lockette runs the route with a little pep in his step, like he should have we would be talking about a different outcome.

Don't worry about Bevell showing up in Knoxville, I doubt seriously that's happening

My thing is if the OL needs to be fixed and it does then why not just get rid of Mahoney and get a OL period. Why hire a OC/OL coach to give Mahoney help ? If your going to hire Debord as OC then hire him as a OC and go find a OL coach and get rid of Mahoney.
If BJ knows Mahoney is a weakness then why just hire help for him ? fire him period. If OL has the same struggles this year, its going to look like Mahoney and Debord are inept.

It helps to have two coaches with knowledge and experience coaching a position especially one as important as the line especially when the OLine is as young and inexperienced as the one we had last year. Also an OC with experience working with the Oline will also understand better strengths and weaknesses of that Oline and understand how to playcall to those strengths and hide those weaknesses. I think Jake really did not understand that.

I'm skeptical on Mahoney personally BUT I'll give the guy some slack. Just a significant talent void and lack of experience and depth there last year.

Amazing Butch has been able to keep it mum this long. If Dooley was in charge it would be on ESPN before the phone hit the cradle.

But that would have jeopordized our recruiting class.

No it wouldn't have. The idea of Jones purposely withholding the OC information in order to avoid de commitments is ridiculous and not at all based in reality. For one thing, recruiting is all about relationships and developing trust with players. Do you really think Coach Jones would attempt to violate that trust right off the bat like that?

Would like it to go down like this...

Debord takes Oline coach...Current Oline coach leaves. Sanford takes OC Coach and QB Coach and CZA stays as WR coach with some OC duties (helps him grow).

My wish.

So two oline coaches and no QB coach... While we have 1 non freshman QB on scholly. Sounds brilliant.

RB depth doesnt look great either -- i think they should work with Pig as a possible backup at RB

DeBord is not going to be a surprise. We have been told he's the front runner since his name came up. I'm wondering if CBJ has even talked to a different person. I dont care I just want the bar met next year of 8+ wins.

Do any of you people actually believe Butch is going to do something to hurt the program? Cmon guys.

We laughed at him, me included, when he said he was bringing in the best coaching staff in the country. That fact may be in the eye of the beholder, but you have to agree these guys can recruit 2 top 5 classes with a losing record. The next challenge is to win on the field and if you don't believe he has a plan for who is on his staff I don't know what to tell you.

Not to get off topic, but Bevell confirmed the play call was his. I think the decision to pass was Carroll's, but Bevell made the play call. He's highly overrated as an OC also. He runs a very simple scheme that is based entirely around Marshawn Lynch and their Zone Blocking Scheme (similar to early 2000's Denver Broncos). Russell Wilson hasn't developed at all under Bevell's tutelage, in fact he arguably had his worst season as passer this year. Luckily for Bevell, Wilson is extremely mobile and is accurate with those deep timing passes that they throw constantly. If their talent level was any lower we would be saying Bevell should be replaced.

So after watching and hearing all that was live streamed by the Vols coaching staff today, I've come to a few conclusions.

1. The coaching staff will morph, more than just a new OC being announced (I mean, Coach flat-out said this, no tea leaf reading required).

2. DeBord is likely part of the new mix, but whether he is OC / Co-OC / Mentor to OC along with other duties / pure position coach / other is far from evident.

3. Coach Z will gain a more prominent role on the Offensive side of the ball. Clear just by the way he filled in as unnamed "acting OC" at the celebration event. He may not be OC, may be Co-OC or OC-in-Training or something else creative, but his duties will expand significantly.

4. What's still left most murky of all is how they fix the need for a quality QB coach. DeBord doesn't solve that, nor does anyone currently on staff afaik. That, and not whether DeBord comes to Tennessee, is the true million $$ question, I think.

Not to get off topic, but Bevell confirmed the play call was his. I think the decision to pass was Carroll's, but Bevell made the play call. He's highly overrated as an OC also. He runs a very simple scheme that is based entirely around Marshawn Lynch and their Zone Blocking Scheme (similar to early 2000's Denver Broncos). Russell Wilson hasn't developed at all under Bevell's tutelage, in fact he arguably had his worst season as passer this year. Luckily for Bevell, Wilson is extremely mobile and is accurate with those deep timing passes that they throw constantly. If their talent level was any lower we would be saying Bevell should be replaced.

Wait, they won the Super Bowl last year and got back this year and their OC is overrated?

if it was Debord why wait til end of the week?

I was at a pre event event tonight with all the coaches. Debord and his wife were with them, right in the middle - and he was wearing an Orange T pin in his lapel. That answered any question I had on if he was going to be on the staff. Seems like a done deal and the delay is just someone's clever approach to we did an exhaustive search and he was the best candidate.

VN Store

Back