Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+)

I actually saw where you said this recently, and I gotta be honest, I’m not with you on this one. Obi-Wan acted really strange when he said that, like he was hesitating/lying. I think that was planned.

I don’t believe that at all. The original draft was turned into a comic a few years back and Vader was a completely separated character from Anakin. In fact, ‘Darth’ wasn’t a title but an actual first name. There is even an original draft of ESB out there where Luke meets Anakin’s force ghost while training with Yoda. George changed his mind in a rewrite.

Which is fine. I accepted the metaphor. Just like I can accept Mustafar wasn’t the last time Obiwan and Vader met. The line “when last we met I was but a learner now I am the master” was shot when Anakin was shown to be a full blown Jedi Knight by RotS. He had been a general in the Army of the Republic. Hardly just “a learner”.

I don’t get hung up on Leia’s 15 sec message for not saying “hey remember me!” She was in a hurry and was sent by her father. Maybe if she had time to record a longer message who knows what she would have said.

Man i thought Vader was toying with Obi-Wan, he straight up treated Reva like a play thing. Makes you realize now how much he holds back versus Luke in TESB.

I always kinda thought that as time went on he was weakened by his injuries, like maybe the bacta tank just kept him going but never actually healed him at all. For some reason it seems like I read that somewhere- can't remember if it was Lucas in an interview or maybe it was mentioned in an expanded universe story.

Man i thought Vader was toying with Obi-Wan, he straight up treated Reva like a play thing. Makes you realize now how much he holds back versus Luke in TESB.
Not sure that ripping space ships in half entered lucas' mind.

Im a big fan but that was a tad much. That seems like something reserved for Palpatine or Yoda.

I always kinda thought that as time went on he was weakened by his injuries, like maybe the bacta tank just kept him going but never actually healed him at all. For some reason it seems like I read that somewhere- can't remember if it was Lucas in an interview or maybe it was mentioned in an expanded universe story.

Yeah what I don't understand about Vader and the bacta tank is, what purpose is it serving to him at this point? If the purpose of the bacta tank is to heal you, wouldn't Vader's wounds already be healed by now? As much as they can be anyway? It's 10 years after his and Obi Wan's first duel.

Im a big fan but that was a tad much. That seems like something reserved for Palpatine or Yoda.

Rey did it. :)

darth-rey.gif

You know when you push too much for a day and a shart comes out instead? Yeah that's what that gif is
The new trilogy sharted...

You know something has to be super special to make prequels pallatable.

Last edited:

Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, but Lucas himself has said he was hampered by the technology of the day and that changed for the prequels. And that's why you see a lot of "retconned" things in movies that happened before. Watching older Jedis and especially Yoda jump around and flip and be a badass makes the original Obi-Wan/Vader match make far less sense. And R2 suddenly can fly around and has all kind of tricks and all, but in the OT they are nowhere to be found which storywise makes no sense.

Now of course you can do mental gymnastics around it but the truth is, Lucas thought up things to "improve" his stories after the fact.

I don’t believe that at all. The original draft was turned into a comic a few years back and Vader was a completely separated character from Anakin. In fact, ‘Darth’ wasn’t a title but an actual first name. There is even an original draft of ESB out there where Luke meets Anakin’s force ghost while training with Yoda. George changed his mind in a rewrite.

Which is fine. I accepted the metaphor. Just like I can accept Mustafar wasn’t the last time Obiwan and Vader met. The line “when last we met I was but a learner now I am the master” was shot when Anakin was shown to be a full blown Jedi Knight by RotS. He had been a general in the Army of the Republic. Hardly just “a learner”.

I don’t get hung up on Leia’s 15 sec message for not saying “hey remember me!” She was in a hurry and was sent by her father. Maybe if she had time to record a longer message who knows what she would have said.

People give Lucas WAY too much credit for having the whole saga "planned out"; that's only partially true. He did have a rough draft type idea of the entire story but he didn't remotely have all the details. Star Wars wasn't even Episode 4 or subtitled "A New Hope" until well after. SW originally was clearly set up like a stand alone movie in case it was a bomb (which was a big fear).

Yeah what I don't understand about Vader and the bacta tank is, what purpose is it serving to him at this point? If the purpose of the bacta tank is to heal you, wouldn't Vader's wounds already be healed by now? As much as they can be anyway? It's 10 years after his and Obi Wan's first duel.

It was my understanding that his injuries were so severe it could not heal him but could slow his deteriotation.

That was how extremely burned he was. The bacta tank (barely) replenishes the extreme minimum it took to maintain life. Along with the bionics and the Force. That was just how powerful he’d become pre-Kenobi battle. This wasn’t a completed narrative from the very beginning of Lucas creation. It’s been fleshed out and I’m mostly satisfied AFTER the sequels and their botching.

Just watched the finale, and I just have mixed feelings.
the scene where vaders helmet is sliced and the ensuing exchanges between him and obi wan are awesome to see in live action, but it was a straight up rip off of what’s already happened. How many times can Vader get his helmet sliced partly off, revealing half of his face and basically say the same thing word for word with someone. We’ve now seen it with Ahsoka and obi wan and both are canon. It makes zero sense. Like I said, cool to see in live action but Disney keeps sh****** all over the timeline/canon.

Loved the finale minute. I was hoping that would happen. I also hate that they did exactly what I feared they would do with the second sister

Reactions: ENGRVOL
was hoping that maybe when Obi-wan was saying goodbye to Leia that he would use his Jedi power to share a memory with her of her mother to close the plot hole from RoJ that always bothered me when leia told Luke that she remembered her mother
Thought the finale was much better than the previous episodes. Made me hope for a second season as long as we get the Obi-wan from the last episode and not the one from the first 5 episodes.

I liked it. Only so much you can do when you already know the fate of the main characters. I'm watching ANH now and there is 1 minor ideological discrepancy, but I'll wait to go into detail.

I feel the last 2 episodes alone made the series worth it.

Overall I'd say there were 2 great episodes, a good one, and 3 average to maybe even meh ones. As with the prequels, McGregor nailed the role and unlike some actors *cough* Harrison Ford *cough* you can tell he likes playing Obi-Wan. I would have liked to have seen some more flashbacks with Anakin to give Christensen more screen time but he did well with what he was given.

Both have said they want to more and I'm all for it but they need to think outside the box more to give them both more to do. They can't have another series where they fight IMO and I don't think they can do just a Vader series because what would Christensen do, unless that has more flashbacks.

VN Store

Back