O-Line Shuffling / Pruitt on Niehaus

DiderotsGhost

247 article up on O-line changes in practice this week:

Pruitt explains why Vols have shuffled their O-line this week

Pruitt seems optimistic about RS-Sophomore Nathan Niehaus developing a larger role as well:

"Nathan, he's a guy that he's smart and he has a big body," Pruitt said. "He can bend. He probably needs to develop a little more power, and he will the older he gets, but if he gets an opportunity, which he's played pretty well in the opportunities that he's had. He's a guy that we believe in and think has a chance to contribute for us."

I've been a fan of Niehaus since his recruitment. He needs to add more muscle and get a little bigger, but he is one of the most ferocious guys you'll ever see on the field. Happy to see him work his way into more playing time, whether or not he ends up starting this week. I definitely think he'll work his way more into the rotation in 2019 and 2020.

Last edited:

Pruitt seems optimistic about RS-Sophomore Nathan Niehaus developing a larger role as well:

I've been a fan of Niehaus since his recruitment. He needs to add more muscle and get a little bigger, but he is one of the most ferocious guys you'll ever see on the field. Happy to see him work his way into more playing time, whether or not he ends up starting this week. I definitely think he'll work his way more into the rotation in 2019 and 2020.
The link doesn't work

I notice it seems a recurring theme that the newer they are, the more potential/hope Pruitt has for them to be real contributors down the road. I get the feeling he is realizing that most those with more than 1 year in Butch's system are largely write-offs that he is not going to be able to coach up to where they need to be. I think that is his largest source of frustration. Anybody else get that?

Two olinen lost to injury. Both knee injuries which makes me think those braces are a waste.

I notice it seems a recurring theme that the newer they are, the more potential/hope Pruitt has for them to be real contributors down the road. I get the feeling he is realizing that most those with more than 1 year in Butch's system are largely write-offs that he is not going to be able to coach up to where they need to be. I think that is his largest source of frustration. Anybody else get that?

I think you are correct, and it is why we are not any better right now!

Like being sold a Race Horse and it turns out to be a sway back mule!!

Reactions: shotgun83

Man we will have to two lightest guards in the entire conference...both have lots of fight but both are severely limited in the ass department.

Reactions: LittleVol and 08Vol
Man we will have to two lightest guards in the entire conference...both have lots of fight but both are severely limited in the ass department.

Unfortunately, it's true.

Niehaus will get there IMO. He's got potential to be a bigger contributor in 2019 and 2020 if he bulks up a bit more, but he's more ideal as a backup LT right now. Which is why the coaches had him there, but it's tough not to test him out at other spots when he's looked like one of the better players on the OL. He's 6'6" with good wingspan and a streak of mean in him, so I think he'll find a role. But he's undoubtedly undersized for a starting SEC O-lineman at the moment.

I'm not an O-line coach or expert or anything like that, so I'd be curious to hear the perspective of some more knowledgeable people, but seems like if he bulks up a bit more, adds some muscle, he could be a prototypical LT or RT. I'm kinda curious if the coaches have considered moving Trey Smith to Guard and seeing if Niehaus could handle starting LT. On the other hand, they might still be concerned about his power in the run game. (Of course, that's been a problem all season anyway.)

Feels like overall, we're slowing getting better at pass protection, but we get overpowered in the run game regardless of what we do.

Last edited:
Carving was not ready right out of HS. It rarely works there are not many trey Smith who physically are ready to play

Kiffin ran off Coleman and our starting free safety. So running off the previous coaches players is not uncommon nor is a new coach not playing the former coaches players

Unless a guy is a total beast coming out of high school, very big, strong and has good fundamentals it's normal for them to be a project their first 2 to 3 years as a O lineman, that's just normal in most cases.

Year 1...Redshirt to get bigger, stronger, learn thhe playbook and work on fundamentals.

Year 2...Redshirt freshman to keep getting bigger, stronger, better at fundamentals and start getting a little play time.

Year 3...Redshiirt Soph, same as year 2 but getting in the playing rotation more.

Years 4 and 5 as redshirt Juniors and Seniors...Expected to start, being a Leader, helping to teach the younger guys, being tough, strong and mentally prepared to make very few mistakes and solid consistantly.

That's how things go normally when you have good depth and a normal rotation and a slid recruiting rotation as well.

VFL...GBO!!!

Unfortunately, it's true.

Niehaus will get there IMO. He's got potential to be a bigger contributor in 2019 and 2020 if he bulks up a bit more, but he's more ideal as a backup LT right now. Which is why the coaches had him there, but it's tough not to test him out at other spots when he's looked like one of the better players on the OL. He's 6'6" with good wingspan and a streak of mean in him, so I think he'll find a role. But he's undoubtedly undersized for a starting SEC O-lineman at the moment.

I'm not an O-line coach or expert or anything like that, so I'd be curious to hear the perspective of some more knowledgeable people, but seems like if he bulks up a bit more, adds some muscle, he could be a prototypical LT or RT. I'm kinda curious if the coaches have considered moving Trey Smith to Guard and seeing if Niehaus could handle starting LT. On the other hand, they might still be concerned about his power in the run game. (Of course, that's been a problem all season anyway.)

Feels like overall, we're slowing getting better at pass protection, but we get overpowered in the run game regardless of what we do.
I hear Niehaus is up to 296 or 297. He looks lean, but he’s added good muscle weight. He’s a hair shy (1/2 inch to 1/4 inch) from 6’7” and has a good wingspan. He’s tough, plays mean and just turned 20 in August, so he’s still quite young and has great potential. I too, would like to see what he and Trey could do on the left side with NN at LT and Trey at LG.

I hear Niehaus is up to 296 or 297. He looks lean, but he’s added good muscle weight. He’s a hair shy (1/2 inch to 1/4 inch) from 6’7” and has a good wingspan. He’s tough, plays mean and just turned 20 in August, so he’s still quite young and has great potential. I too, would like to see what he and Trey could do on the left side with NN at LT and Trey at LG.

Does anyone know if NN has practiced at OT at all? All I read is that he's practicing at OG. If he's really 6'7"... that's almost too tall for an OG, IMO. Now OT... That's another story. If he's got some nasty in him, the obvious thing to do is to give NN a shot at OT and move Smith to OG.

Reactions: DancingVol
He has practiced almost exclusively at Tackle. He played TE and Tackle in high school so guard is brand new O line position for him. I’m anxious to see how he does.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
sure can't say Coach Pruitt doesn't keep trying...GOD bless him...and,

GO VOLS...BEAT TIGERS!

Does anyone know if NN has practiced at OT at all? All I read is that he's practicing at OG. If he's really 6'7"... that's almost too tall for an OG, IMO. Now OT... That's another story. If he's got some nasty in him, the obvious thing to do is to give NN a shot at OT and move Smith to OG.
He has practiced almost exclusively at OT. He played TE and OT in high school. OG is a completely new OL position for him. I’m anxious to see how he performs. Would still rather see him at LT and Trey at LG for a few plays to see what they could do.

If this guy really could work out beside Trey, our o-line would then be like a truck with flat tires on one side trying to run down the road.

VN Store

Back