O-Line Shuffling / Pruitt on Niehaus

The whole culture of our O-line needs to change. Block the guy in front of you, then get down field and look for someone else to hit to help your running backs. Go look for someone to hit.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
If we had coaches who had the least bit of creativity, they'd be dialing up lots of slants, screens, and hitches to compensate for the lack of pass blocking. This staff is not even trying to put us in the best position to win tough games. Maybe once we get past Bama they'll open it up some but for now I think they are content with run-run-pass-punt.

If we had coaches who had the least bit of creativity, they'd be dialing up lots of slants, screens, and hitches to compensate for the lack of pass blocking. This staff is not even trying to put us in the best position to win tough games. Maybe once we get past Bama they'll open it up some but for now I think they are content with run-run-pass-punt.
that's still the question isn't it? why so vanilla?

by design because of the personnel and you just don't want to make a bad situation worse?

or the coaches really aren't that good on the offensive side of the ball and can't compensate for the issues?

don't know that we'll be able to start answering those questions anytime soon. maybe we'll see some hints in November.

by design because of the personnel and you just don't want to make a bad situation worse?

or the coaches really aren't that good on the offensive side of the ball and can't compensate for the issues?

don't know that we'll be able to start answering those questions anytime soon. maybe we'll see some hints in November.
I was probably harsh in my words. I really do wonder if they're just trying to survive the gauntlet with a serviceable roster so they can try to get after it in games that should be much more competitive. If we're doing this same stuff without success against SC and Vandy, I will be very disappointed.

Reactions: Behr and jakez4ut
I was probably harsh in my words. I really do wonder if they're just trying to survive the gauntlet with a serviceable roster so they can try to get after it in games that should be much more competitive. If we're doing this same stuff without success against SC and Vandy, I will be very disappointed.
i think most will be.

my gut says they're playing the long game.

at least i hope that's what my gut is saying.......cause we go 5-7 or worse this year, and win 8 or 9 next year, i think i could probably find myself not feeling bad about 2018 for long.

but thats a long time to wait and see. hell it's already been a long time to wait and see.
giphy.gif

the only other thing i'd add is this....
understand of course, there's no indication right now that programs like aTm, GA, Bama...and probably USCe, LSU and FL too....are going to go away, or not also be on a positive trajectory.

we're in a race to just get even with some of those programs, so we have a chance to pass some of those programs....some of the time.

we missed the window of where we could have probably stood up and run the east for a few years. now, it's just an arms race. and we're behind.

OL is weak. I cannot for the life of me understand how our OL has sucked so bad for this many years. It really drives me insane when teams with way less star talent seem to manage to put together good OL's. The last OL I remember that could beat you down and run down hill on you was the Kiffin line with two walk ons. Dooley had a couple years where we could pass protect. Butch's lines were terrible the time. Dobb's was the only reason our run game looked competent.

All new coaches and to the coaches all new players. A roster full of underdeveloped players, recruited for a different system, and some older players not having "bought in" to the new coaches and system. What could go wrong with that?

Give them some time, some of the players will develop, many won't. It will take at least two recruiting cycles to see a significant difference. It will take 3 and possbily four recruiting cycles to see the full effect of the Pruitt, good or bad. I believe it will be good, very good. But I thought that about some other coaches too.

All new coaches and to the coaches all new players. A roster full of underdeveloped players, recruited for a different system, and some older players not having "bought in" to the new coaches and system. What could go wrong with that?

Give them some time, some of the players will develop, many won't. It will take at least two recruiting cycles to see a significant difference. It will take 3 and possbily four recruiting cycles to see the full effect of the Pruitt, good or bad. I believe it will be good, very good. But I thought that about some other coaches too.
i don't know if it will take 3 or 4 full cycles to do that, hell butch had us "there" with just 2 full cycles. by 2015, we were in a position to win 9 or 10 regular season games. by year 4 we were definitely in a position to win 10+.

i think by the end of 2020, we'll have a good idea where this thing is really going. hopefully sooner...but i wouldn't bet on it. though i do think next year will be a lot better than this year.

Chip Kelly’s 0-5. 😎

All we have done is run slants and hitches. Screens I’ll give you, I’d like to see more.

VN Store

Back