Nyles Gaddy Article

Saw him on Twitter whenever someone committed...otherwise would have never known he was on the team. Doesn’t smack what he’s saying...just sayin.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Biggest problem this team has is the lack of play makers! Last year, Jennings and Calloway made plays on 50-50 balls and made the offense look much better than it really was. This year the Vols have no playmakers at WR, two running backs that go down on contact and in the open field have an uncanny knack for finding tacklers, and no answer to the QB problem. On the defensive side, the DL has no pass rusher and no push, the OLBs are average at best, the only MLB is Too'too and the others (Banks & Crouch) are lost in space. There is no cover corner and all of the CBs have a hard time setting an edge, and the safeties are so deep they are as useless on passes over the middle as the LBs are.

Other than that, the Vols aren't that bad......other than an unimaginative offensive game plan and a defense that can't make an adjustment on a slant pass.

Sub required but I’ll highlight two main quotes that really caught my eye.

This was when asked about leadership

I think this could be the main reason for our failings. You can have all the talent you want, but if there isn’t the necessary leadership from the right people and if the players don’t feel like they matter, then you get an outcome like we did against KY and Arky.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
It's possible that Jenkins was a great leader but it's concerning that our best leader had been suspended from the team. There has been little consistent leadership

Jennings had passion and fire and wanted the ball with the game on the line. I think that few would question his desire to win. That’s leadership on a football team.

“I felt like in a lot of instances, there was no competition. It was really hard. I’m not just speaking for me personally. This is me personally, but I know I’ve got a voice for a lot of folks on this, too. A lot of folks who worked hard for what they were supposed to be getting. Guys were out there grinding, and you could probably interview a lot of dudes on the team and they’d say the same thing. A lot of people were out there grinding every day and they had their chance taken away from them.”

B-b-but Pruitt said JG earned it in practice every week.

I know y’all don’t want to hear this.... but the leadership aspect still falls back on Butch. It means the seniors aren’t stepping up and pressuring the newcomers like Jennings did last year.

JG, Palmer, Chandler, Trey Smith, etc, should be the players holding everyone accountable and they’re not. These are all still Butch’s guys.[/QUOTE]
They are all Pruitt Guys now! He’s had time to weed out the ones that needed to go.
Like on everything else he failed to do so.
Stop blaming Butch for CJP’s failures, he’s been long gone to Alabama

Leadership does feel like it's lacking. It wasn't last season. Even when we sucked at the beginning of the season, I felt like the leadership was good and a lot of that coming from guys like Jauan Jennings and Daniel Bituli. Does not feel like there are great leaders on the team right now.

Reactions: MaTaLa
Ain’t got no dawgs. A coach can’t make a leader out of someone. They either are or they aren’t. A leader doesn’t need a title to have people follow them.

Biggest problem this team has is the lack of play makers! Last year, Jennings and Calloway made plays on 50-50 balls and made the offense look much better than it really was. This year the Vols have no playmakers at WR, two running backs that go down on contact and in the open field have an uncanny knack for finding tacklers, and no answer to the QB problem. On the defensive side, the DL has no pass rusher and no push, the OLBs are average at best, the only MLB is Too'too and the others (Banks & Crouch) are lost in space. There is no cover corner and all of the CBs have a hard time setting an edge, and the safeties are so deep they are as useless on passes over the middle as the LBs are.

Other than that, the Vols aren't that bad......other than an unimaginative offensive game plan and a defense that can't make an adjustment on a slant pass.
You are pretty much spot on.
I was concerned about Henry T. when I heard about him losing weight in the off-season. But yes, he is the only playmaker on the defense. Johnson has shown flashes at times.
GBO!!

Your QB should be and usually is the leader... But when you trot a guy out there that cant play hes not gonna be looked at thru the players as a leader....Who fault is it? Pruitt for trotting him out there... Chaney is handicapped

Reactions: Big Al Orange
There may be some merit to this person's statements, but he left a P5 school to go to Jackson State. Seems to me that there also could be some sour grapes somewhere.
Dont think so the kid had a few offers since going in portal and went with what he thought best. His teammates have been congratulating him big time over 25 players so that should let you know something. The team respected him I see

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I have never seen a football program that can't develop consistent leaders for nearly two decades. Do our coaches take turns beating the #%*# out of each player until they have the confidence of an abused puppy?
I literally laughed out loud at the last question.

Eric Gray, Josh Palmer, Jalyn Hyatt. We’ve got some play makers, but when you hand the ball off 75% of the time it doesn’t lead to a lot of big plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back