Nyles Gaddy Article

Sub required but I’ll highlight two main quotes that really caught my eye.

I felt like in a lot of instances, there was no competition. It was really hard. I’m not just speaking for me personally. This is me personally, but I know I’ve got a voice for a lot of folks on this, too. A lot of folks who worked hard for what they were supposed to be getting. Guys were out there grinding, and you could probably interview a lot of dudes on the team and they’d say the same thing. A lot of people were out there grinding every day and they had their chance taken away from them.

This was when asked about leadership

Coaches can’t do anything about that. We can have all the coaching in the world, but if we don’t step up and take over that ourselves, it’s on us.

But it’s on the coaches, too, because the coaches have to put the right people in leadership roles. Folks can take over leadership roles, but in a lot of cases, UT is set up to where like, the coaches have who they want in leadership roles already. They try and make leaders when the team, we can feel the fake vibes, the fake love. We can feel all of that. We’re going to naturally be behind who we know are our leaders. It can be whoever they want as the leaders, but we say, “These are our leaders.” If this guy says this, then we’re going to do that. We’re gonna get right.

Sub required but I’ll highlight two main quotes that really caught my eye.

This was when asked about leadership

I’d say the seniors. Like last year, when the coaching went bad, when everything went bad, when we didn’t have the record we were looking for, it caught us all off guard. We were thinking the same thing the fans were thinking. We’re thinking we were fixing to go in there, we’ve been grinding all these months for this. It’s the seniors’ time now. They gotta get our head right.
Last year, the seniors stepped up. Darrell Taylor, Daniel Bituli, Nigel Warrior, all those guys stepped up and put the team on their back and they became playmakers. They took the game into their own hands.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I know y’all don’t want to hear this.... but the leadership aspect still falls back on Butch. It means the seniors aren’t stepping up and pressuring the newcomers like Jennings did last year.

JG, Palmer, Chandler, Trey Smith, etc, should be the players holding everyone accountable and they’re not. These are all still Butch’s guys.

I know y’all don’t want to hear this.... but the leadership aspect still falls back on Butch. It means the seniors aren’t stepping up and pressuring the newcomers like Jennings did last year.

JG, Palmer, Chandler, Trey Smith, etc, should be the players holding everyone accountable and they’re not. These are all still Butch’s guys.

But the seniors last year were Butch guys. I think what Gaddy was saying is the coaching staff is going to the wrong guys for leadership. Now who might that be? Who knows.

Pruitts most successful season came with with Butch's players, he's regressing with his own. What does that say?

But it was "butch's guys" that tool over last year right?

Stop with the Butch's players excuse! They're all Pruitt's guys!

So full of s--t you are. You and Pulaski have pretty simple responses to every ill. blame it on JG and/or Butch.

I don't think there's any leaders on the Offensive side of the ball and I think the coaches are trying to shove Trey Smith and JG down everyones throats
TOTALLY AGREE - I see some leadership qualities in Bailey and Eric Gray, but am dumbfounded by the lack of in any Junior or Senior players.
Even the transfer Mays doesn't seem to step up and lead, but if this article is true then that may be due to not being allowed to overstep Trey.
I'll get bashed for saying it, but at this point I think Trey just came back to try and improve his draft stock by showing the scouts he can play a full season.

I said it in the USCe and the Mizzou games, this team is going to need some internal leaders to keep winning...

Trey Smith strikes me as a wallflower. JG is just oblivious, a "fake it till you make" who got caught before he "made it".
You can be in a "leadership position," (e.g., by virtue of the importance/visibility of your job, your tenure relative to your peers, etc.), but it's hard to be a leader if you stink at your job. That goes for any job, not just sports. You can be one of the most tenured people at your company, be in an important or visible position, and even be a nice guy, but if you just aren't good at what you do then you won't have followers or command any kind of professional respect.

JG mans the single most important position on the field and is a 5th-year senior. That's a very stereotypical leadership position, but it is hard to get people to listen and follow you if you simply aren't any good. Harsh, but true.

As for Trey, he might not be the most vocal person. Good leaders don't have to be vocal, but they must lead by example (otherwise they are just hypocrites). Trey seems like he's a great lead by example guy, and if other guys are too dumb to see than then that's their problem.

There may be some merit to this person's statements, but he left a P5 school to go to Jackson State. Seems to me that there also could be some sour grapes somewhere.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I don't think there's any leaders on the Offensive side of the ball and I think the coaches are trying to shove Trey Smith and JG down everyones throats

The QB is the main leader on offense, especially when he’s a 5th year senior.

But, perhaps everybody sees what we’re seeing, and they don’t think he’s earned the right to start. If that is the case, the players won’t follow.

Pruitt really has this program screwed up.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back