'20 NV TE Darnell Washington (UGA commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure that is not the case. We are recruiting him just as you guys are - a TE that can flex out based on certain match-ups similar to OJ Howard and Irv Smith.
OJ is a good comparison.

They’ve just been telling me that I can come and change the program,” Gilbert told GoVols247’s Ryan Callahan after the visit. “They told me that they would play me as a receiver.”

But, it’s working...
“If I could play receiver, I would want to,” Gilbert said last month. “There are a lot of schools saying they would split me out, but I would still be a tight end. And there are some schools that say receiver strictly.”

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Haha, good point, maybe not then if he stays up north.
Don’t you think that’s the way the TE postion is going... more of a flex postion than a “true TE” I think Gronk kinda made people forget how hard it actually is and even he was a liability in run blocking.

Reactions: secking
Don’t you think that’s the way the TE postion is going... more of a flex postion than a “true TE” I think Gronk kinda made people forget how hard it actually is and even he was a liability in run blocking.
With the spread offenses, absolutely. Still think pro style like a group of in-line blocking TE that can catch but every pro team normally has a mix of both. I like the Falcons TE as well.

With the spread offenses, absolutely. Still think pro style like a group of in-line blocking TE that can catch but every pro team normally has a mix of both. I like the Falcons TE as well.
Agreed I have always thought that postion would go the way of the RB simply because of the mental demand of being a “both” guy... makes it easier to “role it out” to a couple of guys... just have to be careful about tendency.

Reactions: secking
Also no one between the three teams was more underutilized than OJ Howard... heck the buccaneers are doing the same thing now... super talented guy.
He was, think Bama did well with Smith last year but imho the best (by far) TE in the SEC last year was Albert O from Mizzou, dude was crazy good. How many TE’s do you get double teamed and he still made plays.

Reactions: DefenseWins
He was, think Bama did well with Smith last year but imho the best (by far) TE in the SEC last year was Albert O from Mizzou, dude was crazy good. How many TE’s do you get double teamed and he still made plays.
Dude was nasty.. First series of the game I said “who is THAT!?!” Lol. Dude should make some 💰 soon.

"They’ve just been telling me that I can come and change the program,” Gilbert told GoVols247’s Ryan Callahan after the visit. “They told me that they would play me as a receiver.”

I stand corrected. After his visit for the paintball he was talking TE and split out when needed. Either works for me!

Gronk’s always been considered a devastating blocker.

Reactions: walkenvol
Gronk’s always been considered a devastating blocker.
The patriots were forced to keep him in at times because everyone knew whenever he went out it was a run or if it was a a two TE set then it was going to the other TE side unless there was slot that would crack down... he got better the last two years to where he was serviceable but it definitely wasn’t his strong suit.

The patriots were forced to keep him in at times because everyone knew whenever he went out it was a run or if it was a a two TE set then it was going to the other TE side unless there was slot that would crack down... he got better the last two years to where he was serviceable but it definitely wasn’t his strong suit.

There is a Alex (can’t remember his last name) report on the patriots offense that proves the comments above, so the patriots worked with him and he did improve but nothing in those highlights shows anything other than serviceable... I’m not an expert so maybe I’m wrong. However, looking at the highlights of his “best blocks” and put the video on mute there isn’t anything amazing on there... it’s dramatizwd because of how good Gronk is with the other factors of his game.. make no mistake Gronk is a great TE, Hall Of Fame TE just don’t buy the great blocker side of it.

I read a scouting report that differs with you and so do I. I watched the games. He was such a weapon that his blocking got shortchanged in comparison. He could standup DE’s and obliterated anything smaller.

There is a Alex (can’t remember his last name) report on the patriots offense that proves the comments above, so the patriots worked with him and he did improve but nothing in those highlights shows anything other than serviceable... I’m not an expert so maybe I’m wrong. However, looking at the highlights of his “best blocks” and put the video on mute there isn’t anything amazing on there... it’s dramatizwd because of how good Gronk is with the other factors of his game.. make no mistake Gronk is a great TE, Hall Of Fame TE just don’t buy the great blocker side of it.
You’re biased. Understandable...bunch of us hate the Pats.

I read a scouting report that differs with you and so do I. I watched the games. He was such a weapon that his blocking got shortchanged in comparison. He could standup DE’s and obliterated anything smaller.
There is definitely a chance im wrong, either way talking about his blocking is being nit picky because of how great a TE he was.

Hunter broke out with Enos
I think it was more of a Kirby problem, UGA failed to get guys like Mecole & Riley involved more. Chaney's track record, including here, he's never had a problem getting his playmakers involved in the passing game. He was a actually a bit to pass happy tbh. Watch how Wood-Anderson explode this season.

I think it was more of a Kirby problem, UGA failed to get guys like Mecole & Riley involved more. Chaney's track record, including here, he's never had a problem getting his playmakers involved in the passing game. He was a actually a bit to pass happy tbh. Watch how Wood-Anderson explode this season.
It’s really difficult to draw any conclusions on why the TE’s weren’t used more at UGA. Kirby set the offensive philosophy, then Chaney drew up the game plan. Kirby’s had no other OC’s than Chaney, so we can’t see how he is without him. Chaney put up his best numbers with smart statistically in terms of scoring offense and offensive production, so I guess that’s a good sign. As for mecole, he spent half his time at receiver with a true freshmen qb and 2 first round talents at RB and still had enough production in his second year at receiver to be a second round pick, so I don’t fault Chaney there. Imo it’s the OC who is ultimately responsible for getting playmakers the ball, especially when the head coach is a defense guy.

Generally respect your takes. You’re way off on Chaney and TE’s.
And that’s ok, not going to agree on everything, good debate. I do agree with 901, he sometimes forgets what he has and gets pass happy, so much so that Chubb and Michel had to request a meeting with him on getting them the ball.

I also understand the OC is the most criticized position coach, sometimes more than the HC. For instance, a lot of blame went towards UT’s OC last year but one of the reasons I have UT winning a minimum of 8 games, is I think the defense takes a major step forward this year. The defense did not play well last year except a few games. UT gave up 29.9 ppg last year against P5 teams. I think this year the D doesn’t have to think as much and can be more aggressive, JMHO.

As for Chaney and TE’s, here he is admitting that he didn’t use the TE’s as he could have. I will concede we don’t know how much of that is on Smart, but if the spring game is indicative, the TE’s were targeted more the WR’s.

Why Georgia featured the tight ends more late in the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back