'20 NV ILB Vai Kaho (San Diego State commit)

I remember someone said TN had the biggest and most state of the art research facility for identifying players - and I think the largest budget.
It was reported a few months ago that UT spent way more than other schools on recruiting. We are 2nd only to UGA on the national scene. I can't recall if that is specifically football only or includes other sports. There are supposedly seven airplanes of varying passenger loads at McGhee Tyson for UT's use only.
PS After reading 3 reports seems as though Bama may be spending a few thousand more than us making our spending 3rd in the nation.

Last edited:
I remember someone said TN had the biggest and most state of the art research facility for identifying players - and I think the largest budget.
I've noticed whenever we offer an unknown prospect; other coaches jump on board and offer right after we do. That's not a bad program if your recruiting budget is kinda small. Let the big dogs do the work and just follow their lead. On the other hand, wo do have a few hundred offers out so some of it might be a smoke screen :)

The coaches at all major programs have access to a million times more game film than 247 or rivals. They can see every play from almost every game with all 22 angles and tape tailored to specific players. They can see guys who's highlights may not jump out but they have positive impact on every game. Tennessee spends hundreds of millions of dollars for access to these things. There was an article last year in the Athletic I think that detailed the services Tennessee pays for. It was an impressive amount of info they have access to. 247 and rivals probably don't see much more than we have access to.
That's why the fan focused recruiting sites will so often rank players higher if certain coaches pursue them. If Pruitt is successful in finding talent... they'll start ranking his recruits higher.

If two guys look about the same and Saban, Coach O, Smart, etc are chasing one but not the other... the guy they like will get the stars.

I've noticed whenever we offer an unknown prospect; other coaches jump on board and offer right after we do. That's not a bad program if your recruiting budget is kinda small. Let the big dogs do the work and just follow their lead. On the other hand, wo do have a few hundred offers out so some of it might be a smoke screen :)

I have often wondered if coaches will make offers to guys in other states that might not be at the top of the board to pressure the home state school into giving attention. Also speculate that when they have some hidden gems they don't make offers till just before signing day to cut down on the competitions time to create relationships and faint hreearted fans immediately scream REACH. Especially after the deal with the receiver that dropped us for FSU.... We got K Garland out of the deal and he gets a new coach this year.....

That's why the fan focused recruiting sites will so often rank players higher if certain coaches pursue them. If Pruitt is successful in finding talent... they'll start ranking his recruits higher.

If two guys look about the same and Saban, Coach O, Smart, etc are chasing one but not the other... the guy they like will get the stars.

Pruitt's been successfully finding and recruiting talent for about 12 years at the elite collegiate level... What's the predetermined successful-in-finding-talent length before the services start "trusting the coaches"?

Pruitt's been successfully finding and recruiting talent for about 12 years at the elite collegiate level... What's the predetermined successful-in-finding-talent length before the services start "trusting the coaches"?
IMO, they have to assign him credit. That usually goes to the HC.

Just something I've noticed over time. You can believe it or not. If you pay attention though I suspect you'll notice the same thing.

Noodle arm. Don’t want.

But seriously, that’s the fastest “4.9” I’ve ever seen.
I get the measurables argument. I love elite numbers just like the next guy. And I’m not film expert but I see a kid who plays fast and makes tackles. How often in our poorer defense years did we see our players get there fast and miss.i enjoy seeing a kid who has a nose for the ball and doesn’t hesitate.

Reactions: FĂŻreBall
I get the measurables argument. I love elite numbers just like the next guy. And I’m not film expert but I see a kid who plays fast and makes tackles. How often in our poorer defense years did we see our players get there fast and miss.i enjoy seeing a kid who has a nose for the ball and doesn’t hesitate.

You make a good point. Around the line of scrimmage, a player who recognizes and starts pursuing a tenth of a second faster makes up for a couple of tenths in 40 time foot speed.

Looks like he very quickly diagnoses a play and moves with speed to the point of attack. I am pumped.

no expert but film looks solid. doesnt dance around. has good instincts and heads to ball quickly.....may even be edge rusher. wde?????

Reactions: Specks
His film looks good to me. Great anticipation and seems to be a sure tackler. Sign him up.

It was reported a few months ago that UT spent way more than other schools on recruiting. We are 2nd only to UGA on the national scene. I can't recall if that is specifically football only or includes other sports. There are supposedly seven airplanes of varying passenger loads at McGhee Tyson for UT's use only.
PS After reading 3 reports seems as though Bama may be spending a few thousand more than us making our spending 3rd in the nation.

1. Georgia — $2,626,622

2. Alabama — $2,344,057

3. Tennessee — $2,002,871

4. Texas — $1,823,307

5. Clemson — $1,790,976

I couldn't find the article itself, but I think it was in the Athletic this past summer detailing the recruiting services Tennessee pays for. I found a post I made about it back then.
1. XOS ThunderCloud Scout
Price:
$75,000 annually
Tennessee can access film from every college game and every pro game and lots of film of high school prospects with no download times via a phone, tablet, laptop or desktop.

XOS ThunderCloud Distribution Service
Price:
$25,000 annually

2. The Underclassmen Report by 3Step Sports
Price:
$12,600 annually
With a subscription, coaches get access to a national database of profiles for more than 3,000 sophomores, more than 3,000 juniors, more than 500 high school freshmen and more than 50 international prospects.

3. Tracking Football
Price:
$14,955 annually
In short, the company gives a simplified score of current and possible future players based on data from track and field results, as well as access to raw, verified data from track and field events. Over 60 percent of NFL Draft picks since 2008 competed in high school track and field, so the collection of prospects who are included is vast.

4. Agile Sports Technologies: Football National Video (Also known as Hudl.co)
Price:
$35,000
But within the database, coaches can get access to full, 11-on-11, all-22 game film for about 99 percent of high school games around the country. A highlight tape is one thing, but watching an entire game is another. If a player loafs or takes plays off, it will show up on game tape. If a player has a relentless motor for every snap, that will show up, too.
Those are some of the services and costs that are discussed. One of the biggest things I think was the paid version of hudl provides full game film with all 11 and all 22 camera angles so coaches aren't just watching hudl highlights to make decisions. Article goes way more in depth with all they provide though. Really interesting stuff. You can probably Google the company names for more info on what they provide. It is far more than what 247 and Rivals has access to. Also, apparently Chaney, conservatively, spends 16 hours a day watching game film. Hahaha

Last edited:

VN Store

Back