Number of available scholarships for the 2020 class remaining?

No. We are not short of the 85 total. The numbers were posted in a thread that Freak made a few weeks back. We will need to lose several people this spring to get down to 85 while taking a full class of 25.

His comment: Update 1/9/20: added Cade Mays, Velus Jones and Trey Smith (had assumed he wouldn't return). By my count that puts us at 69 scholarship players. We signed 21 during the early signing period, which makes 90.

Let's look at scholarship numbers
I realize we must do what we must do to field a great TN team, but with that said, it is very sad player(s) that have kept their noses clean, stayed out of trouble, worked hard for the VOLS would need to be cut from a scholarship. This becomes even more of a problem IF we reward anyone that has not. I'd like to see a NATY this year, but I would not want it so bad as to give a scholarship to a known trouble maker, it goes in the face of the young men that work hard both on and off the field to be better players and great young men.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
We have space for 2 more in the class. Might take 3 if the right 3 want in but would require counting one transfer in next year’s class of 25.

IDK how many have to leave after spring to get under the 85 total but it won’t be a problem. The guys on the verge are most likely well aware of their status. See Marcus Tatum’s exit interview for reference. That’s the reality of CFB these days if you truly expect to win and fire HCs when they don’t.

We have space for 2 more in the class. Might take 3 if the right 3 want in but would require counting one transfer in next year’s class of 25.

IDK how many have to leave after spring to get under the 85 total but it won’t be a problem. The guys on the verge are most likely well aware of their status. See Marcus Tatum’s exit interview for reference. That’s the reality of CFB these days if you truly expect to win and fire HCs when they don’t.

They'll make room...

I realize we must do what we must do to field a great TN team, but with that said, it is very sad player(s) that have kept their noses clean, stayed out of trouble, worked hard for the VOLS would need to be cut from a scholarship. This becomes even more of a problem IF we reward anyone that has not. I'd like to see a NATY this year, but I would not want it so bad as to give a scholarship to a known trouble maker, it goes in the face of the young men that work hard both on and off the field to be better players and great young men.

So you want to be the Colts. Have a decent team full of “good guys” but always fall short cause we don’t have any players that have that needed nasty side when the time is needed.

So you want to be the Colts. Have a decent team full of “good guys” but always fall short cause we don’t have any players that have that needed nasty side when the time is needed.
I reject your premise, we do not need a team full of thugs, that embarrass UT off the field in order to have a winning team. "When the time is needed", means on the field. Somewhere along the line, some have come to believe, if a player isn't a thug off the field, he can't play tough on the field. This is just wrong. Let's face it, far more players (NCAA and NFL) conduct themselves like men off the field, than those that do not.

Last edited:
Reactions: tnutater
I reject your premise, we do not need a team full of thugs, that embarrass UT off the field in order to have a team winning team. "When the time is needed", means on the field. Somewhere along the line, some have come to believe, if a player isn't a thug off the field, he can't play tough on the field. This is just wrong. Let's face it, far more players (NCAA and NFL) conduct themselves like men off the field, than those that do not.
The NFL is very image conscious. Problem players do not last long, as it should be. The NBA has made great strides also. Top level athletes must have total focus on improving their game. There is no room for thuggery, athletes are not rappers.

Reactions: I40flyer
But don't we have several seniors that are leaving. When the 2 OL left before the Bowl game, that gave us 60 scholarship players. I don't know how many graduated (or are leaving because eligibility is up) but we have some. We are bring in 25 that would make 85 before you take away those leaving. 62 was the number floated in the last game of the season before the the 2 OL left just before the bowl game.

No. We are not short of the 85 total. The numbers were posted in a thread that Freak made a few weeks back. We will need to lose several people this spring to get down to 85 while taking a full class of 25.

His comment: Update 1/9/20: added Cade Mays, Velus Jones and Trey Smith (had assumed he wouldn't return). By my count that puts us at 69 scholarship players. We signed 21 during the early signing period, which makes 90.

Let's look at scholarship numbers
My bad I was looking at the wrong number

VN Store

Back