Now That the Dust Has Settled

The players they use is just head scratching. Why use London on a toss sweep? Why run Chandler mostly up the middle and hardly ever outside? Why was DMA not the TE on the play action pass on 4th down where Pope looked like he had concrete in his shoes? I don't understand some of their personal decisions on some plays. Also, why are corners returning kicks?

I am certain we will play much better against Georgia just so we can hear all of the "If we had played like that, we would have been Florida" mess. Big underdog. No pressure to win. Nothing to lose. Guarantee good play that will frustrate everyone!

A blind man could see the difference Saturday night.
One game is not any indication of how teams have been coached over the course of seasons. If it is Bill Belichek’s patriots have clearly been receiving bad coaching the last few years, Baffling how they have won so many Superbowls

Been a rabid Vols fan since the 60's, and I can't remember any game where I was more frustrated, angry and disgusted than I was last Saturday. This is a retrospective, logical, unemotional look at the game. If I'd written this after the game Saturday, there would be no way to look at it without emotion and it probably wouldn't make much sense.

I know this is easy to say, but IF you take away the turnovers (including the touch back fumble through the end zone), and IF the play calling had been more creative, it could have, would have, should have been a much different game. Not saying the Vols would have won, but the game would have been much closer. And yes, I know, that IF a frog had wings . . . . . yada, yada, yada . . . . .

A couple of the turnovers were, IMO, related directly to lack of play on the offensive line AND play calling combined. Related to the offensive line, they appeared to NOT know who they were supposed to block on several plays, which, in turn got JG killed. This is true not only for the offensive line but for the running backs and fullbacks. Related to the play calling, especially on screen passes, it was like the Gators were in the huddle with them and the Gators were jumping the routes, and that caused one of the turnovers. Play calling was WAY too conservative IMO. They've GOT to open the playbook some more, let the guys learn, and take their licks until they get it. But if play calling is this conservative all year, the outcomes will be dismal.

But the bottom line is, no matter what plays are called, no matter who the Vols are playing, there won't be many happy Saturdays this year unless the offensive line figures out, and fixes, their woes. In watching the highlights (or in this case, the low lights), even when it looked like they DID know who to block, they got manhandled on several key plays. The worst one I noticed was on the safety. The entire left side of their line got pushed two or three yards back into the end zone, thus, safety. I don't get it. I mean for YEARS, every time we get a new strength and conditioning coach, all we hear is how good he is and how our players, especially the linemen, are going to be able to compete, or even push the other teams around. This hasn't happened, as we well know. The offensive line is dotted with 4 and 5 star players, who, had they gone to another school, would be kicking butt. At UT, not so. Why? This reminds me of when the Dooley dude was there, and from week to week, they could not snap the ball to the QB consistently in the shotgun. I kept thinking to myself . . . . well I'm sure they will address that in practice this week and next game these snap errors won't be an issue. But, guess what, as we all know, that went on for several weeks. Same thing seems to be going on with the offensive line right now.

We're not that bad. Broad statement? Yes. But as the old saying goes, "you're never as good as you look on your best day, and never as bad as you look on your worse day". I think that's true of this team. That being said, we're NOT going to beat anyone in the next three games, UGA, Auburn, Bama. As a matter of fact, if they haven't improved immensely on the offensive line, they will be lucky to hold UGA under 50. Same goes for Bama. Not sure about Auburn. As for down the stretch, USC Jr, KY, Vandy, IF JP can keep the team, and IF they can gel, we might be able to compete and maybe even win a couple, but it won't be easy.

I’m with you man. I turned the game off and blocked it out. It’s just a young team, young coach going thru some growing pains. As a Vol fan I’ve seen it too much in the last decade to even let rumors and gossip on the internet bother me. They lost bad to a rival and the locker room was in turmoil. I mean whoopity s*** guys! You all have stayed loyal knowing this team was going to have to struggle to win. 0.500 team don’t look like National Champions. Don’t jump in the water if you don’t expect to get wet.

Reactions: Volatility
The OL is just bad. There is no push from the line. Look at the safety for a good example as there was not a single OL past the goal line. Every single player got pushed backward. If our line cannot drive players off the ball, then there is little that will improve this season. Our OL is getting manhandled by each opponent.
I think UT has really only one offensive lineman who would start at another SEC school. Some of them, I doubt could even get a scholarship to another SEC school.

Reactions: VolsFan-TX
Saturday was too hard to watch, the one point I wanted to illuminate, most of the issues were mental errors. I don't care who is calling the Offensive Plays, mental errors at that level = a very bad day. So, what I am asking, do we feel that Pruitt has this team prepared to play SEC Football? Sorry, but I don't see it. The issues with the OL, the same with the DL, mental errors, not protecting the ball etc. etc. This game was absolutely embarrassing to watch. I am not confident at this point that this coaching staff is as good as it is on paper..............jmo. These kids didn't just forget how to play football, come'on someone better have some crucial conversations with Friend and Rocker..........I don't see any improvement.

Been a rabid Vols fan since the 60's, and I can't remember any game where I was more frustrated, angry and disgusted than I was last Saturday. This is a retrospective, logical, unemotional look at the game. If I'd written this after the game Saturday, there would be no way to look at it without emotion and it probably wouldn't make much sense.

I know this is easy to say, but IF you take away the turnovers (including the touch back fumble through the end zone), and IF the play calling had been more creative, it could have, would have, should have been a much different game. Not saying the Vols would have won, but the game would have been much closer. And yes, I know, that IF a frog had wings . . . . . yada, yada, yada . . . . .

A couple of the turnovers were, IMO, related directly to lack of play on the offensive line AND play calling combined. Related to the offensive line, they appeared to NOT know who they were supposed to block on several plays, which, in turn got JG killed. This is true not only for the offensive line but for the running backs and fullbacks. Related to the play calling, especially on screen passes, it was like the Gators were in the huddle with them and the Gators were jumping the routes, and that caused one of the turnovers. Play calling was WAY too conservative IMO. They've GOT to open the playbook some more, let the guys learn, and take their licks until they get it. But if play calling is this conservative all year, the outcomes will be dismal.

But the bottom line is, no matter what plays are called, no matter who the Vols are playing, there won't be many happy Saturdays this year unless the offensive line figures out, and fixes, their woes. In watching the highlights (or in this case, the low lights), even when it looked like they DID know who to block, they got manhandled on several key plays. The worst one I noticed was on the safety. The entire left side of their line got pushed two or three yards back into the end zone, thus, safety. I don't get it. I mean for YEARS, every time we get a new strength and conditioning coach, all we hear is how good he is and how our players, especially the linemen, are going to be able to compete, or even push the other teams around. This hasn't happened, as we well know. The offensive line is dotted with 4 and 5 star players, who, had they gone to another school, would be kicking butt. At UT, not so. Why? This reminds me of when the Dooley dude was there, and from week to week, they could not snap the ball to the QB consistently in the shotgun. I kept thinking to myself . . . . well I'm sure they will address that in practice this week and next game these snap errors won't be an issue. But, guess what, as we all know, that went on for several weeks. Same thing seems to be going on with the offensive line right now.

We're not that bad. Broad statement? Yes. But as the old saying goes, "you're never as good as you look on your best day, and never as bad as you look on your worse day". I think that's true of this team. That being said, we're NOT going to beat anyone in the next three games, UGA, Auburn, Bama. As a matter of fact, if they haven't improved immensely on the offensive line, they will be lucky to hold UGA under 50. Same goes for Bama. Not sure about Auburn. As for down the stretch, USC Jr, KY, Vandy, IF JP can keep the team, and IF they can gel, we might be able to compete and maybe even win a couple, but it won't be easy.
Can somebody give me a tl;dr for this?

Saturday was too hard to watch, the one point I wanted to illuminate, most of the issues were mental errors. I don't care who is calling the Offensive Plays, mental errors at that level = a very bad day. So, what I am asking, do we feel that Pruitt has this team prepared to play SEC Football? Sorry, but I don't see it. The issues with the OL, the same with the DL, mental errors, not protecting the ball etc. etc. This game was absolutely embarrassing to watch. I am not confident at this point that this coaching staff is as good as it is on paper..............jmo. These kids didn't just forget how to play football, come'on someone better have some crucial conversations with Friend and Rocker..........I don't see any improvement.
I have to agree with you. I am concerned CJP is not getting these guys prepared for whatever reason. I hope it is not because he will be a bust as a coach. And i hope it improves once whatever the cause is corrected.

Less talent.
Started 2 walk ons and we had a serviceable OL.
Walk on’s or 5 Stars doesn’t mean squat! ! If the line was serviceable with 2 walk ons then I would say they were better than this mess we’ve had for four years.
Remember JJ watt was a walk on but I guess all the 4-5 stars in the same class were better??

Biggest problem is what did the coaches tell them at halftime? Did they mention ball security? The very 1st time we touched the ball in the 2nd half we fumbled yet again. If we can’t hold onto the ball stop returning kicks and punts. Better to burn clock and punt to lessen the score than give opposing teams the ball on our own 30-20 yd line.

When we did that I don’t think this staff has worked much during the week on ball security at all, despite what Pruitt said in his monday presser. How can you be coaching them up on ball security, and have 6 turnovers? I just don’t see it.

Dear SunshinePumper Mike,
Based on first four weeks of season, we are not winning an SEC game.
Yours truly, HW

I would expect, not having any inside knowledge, unless things change, Helton's gone at the end of the season. If the money isn't there, he's assigned another job and someone on staff moves in. JMO, I really have no idea.
Helton should never have been hired in the first place. Pruitt first mistake was hiring an unproven OC. Should have hired someone that has been successful calling plays instead of someone that nobody really knows if he called any plays or not ( at USC)

Walk on’s or 5 Stars doesn’t mean squat! ! If the line was serviceable with 2 walk ons then I would say they were better than this mess we’ve had for four years.
Remember JJ watt was a walk on but I guess all the 4-5 stars in the same class were better??

I don’t think that’s what he means. The sullins brothers where both undersized walk ons ,and Kiffin used them to cobble together a pretty good oline. You’d think we could make an average o line with the players we have, but I fear that butch Jones simply didn’t recruit the type of lineman that are needed to play in the trenches of the sec(exception being Trey Smith).

Helton should never have been hired in the first place. Pruitt first mistake was hiring an unproven OC. Should have hired someone that has been successful calling plays instead of someone that nobody really knows if he called any plays or not ( at USC)

It doesn’t matter who is calling the plays when your offensive line struggles to block anyone.

It doesn’t matter who is calling the plays when your offensive line struggles to block anyone.
Agree our line is pathetic, however, you can scheme up some play calls to help them out. Running up the middle 50% of the time when your line sucks is a recipe for disaster. How about opening up the run game by using short passes, rolling out your QB, etc..?

VN Store

Back