Now That the Dust Has Settled

Agree our line is pathetic, however, you can scheme up some play calls to help them out. Running up the middle 50% of the time when your line sucks is a recipe for disaster. How about opening up the run game by using short passes, rolling out your QB, etc..?
I agree on rolling the qb out, seems like it would buy Guarantano a little time.

Should take the OL from whomever is running it and give it to someone else. No matter what kind of play you run the way they are playing means lack of execution and failure on almost any play called.

It’s a rumor. There’s confusion over whether or not this is Helton’s offense. Some say it’s Friend’s offense with Helton calling the plays. So why pay Helton all that money?
First it's fact, then it's an insider, then it's rumor. True to form there JB.

I am certain we will play much better against Georgia just so we can hear all of the "If we had played like that, we would have been Florida" mess. Big underdog. No pressure to win. Nothing to lose. Guarantee good play that will frustrate everyone!
You my friend are an optimist. UGA is the number two team in the country for good reason. This game will never be close.

Reactions: Weezer
I was at the UTC game and was only getting scores and I was thinking, Man, Florida is steamrolling us. Yesterday I had the chance to watch the reply and I was surprised. Our wounds were mainly self inflicted and most of their points coming off turnovers. That first half could have been completely different if players had executed. I don't know that I have ever seen a half with so many mistakes and missed assignments (onside kick). I know this sounds strange, but I felt better after watching the reply. We are a better team than the score indicated. We had more first downs and the total yards was almost dead even. We were 8 of 18 on third down conversions and had more sacks. That being said, I don't see many wins out there this year but I have hope for the future.

Reactions: MikeTheVol
I don’t think that’s what he means. The sullins brothers where both undersized walk ons ,and Kiffin used them to cobble together a pretty good oline. You’d think we could make an average o line with the players we have, but I fear that butch Jones simply didn’t recruit the type of lineman that are needed to play in the trenches of the sec(exception being Trey Smith).
That’s what he was implying, that Kiffen had less and done more with it.
I disagree, and agree wit you, it’s a fact Jones didn’t recruit the type of OL that’s needed for SEC play.
There are exceptions like smith. That’s why Jones recruiting was way overrated, going just. By star rankings it was good but half of them didn’t fit his system and were usually some of his best recruits.
Just like at QB one recruit would be pure pocket pro style and the other dual threat and we know only one fit.

I was at the UTC game and was only getting scores and I was thinking, Man, Florida is steamrolling us. Yesterday I had the chance to watch the reply and I was surprised. Our wounds were mainly self inflicted and most of their points coming off turnovers. That first half could have been completely different if players had executed. I don't know that I have ever seen a half with so many mistakes and missed assignments (onside kick). I know this sounds strange, but I felt better after watching the reply. We are a better team than the score indicated. We had more first downs and the total yards was almost dead even. We were 8 of 18 on third down conversions and had more sacks. That being said, I don't see many wins out there this year but I have hope for the future.

I guess I'm an eternal optimist, but I felt the same way after watching the replay. Even a that though, there is NO way we will hang with UGA. They will lay 55 to 60 on the Vols because the Vols' offense will keep having to punt it back to UGA due to not being able to get first downs. Vols' defense will eventually get tired and start giving up big plays.

All I'm saying is that was a perfect storm of mistakes, and there is no way that happens again. We will probably still end up with a losing record, but we are going to improve dramatically because of the embarrassment. I still predict at least one upset in the coming weeks.

While I agree that we are better than the score indicated, I also think that Florida is a lot worse than you think. Georgia is probably 4 touchdowns better than Florida.

The OL is just bad. There is no push from the line. Look at the safety for a good example as there was not a single OL past the goal line. Every single player got pushed backward. If our line cannot drive players off the ball, then there is little that will improve this season. Our OL is getting manhandled by each opponent.
Even the plays where the Oline got push the running back would go wide. One play with Jordan stood out. Oline got initial burst and he bumped wide left and was chased down for a loss.

Would have had a guaranteed short gain if he’d gone straight. May have wiggles for more. I’m assuming at that point he had no trust in the line.

Rumor has it that after the game CJP asked Shrout if he would like to redshirt and this was his reaction...shrout.gif

Doesn't Will Friend coach the offensive line? Seems everyone states that is the main problem.
I'm no offensive line coach or technique guru, but from here it looks like Friend is working with a group individuals lacking in both strength and coordination.

You dont just "figure out" OL play. If the OL play is bad, it's gonna stay bad because we dont have the horses for the race. This is gonna be a road-kill year for UT.

VN Store

Back