Not Likely, But...

Honestly, I don't think we recruit recruits for their ability to recruit others.

I've heard he's a pretty good high school player. Like one of the best in the nation. Famous last name or not, that might be worth something to a football coach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got Nico, and I appreciate Nico's recruiting efforts on the team's behalf. But that's not why we recruited him. Or any other player.

Arch would be a massively positive addition to the 2023 class. Let's don't pretend he wouldn't be, just because we're not in the competition for him.
Agree with you often but it is ALWAYS a factor if a recruit can help pull great players with him. If Hurd and a few others weren't such absolute homers as recruits then Jones wouldn't have pulled together those two great classes. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if Nico's willingness to commit early and then peer recruit wasn't a factor in making him the priority target.

No knock on Arch because I do believe he will end up being a good qb. But Nico fits best for what hype wants on offense, and nico will be dynamic and will make us forget about the notion of having arch anyway
This ^. I trust Heupel on choice of quarterback (notwithstanding the nagging little voice in the back of my mind whispering „remember Milton 😬

This ^. I trust Heupel on choice of quarterback (notwithstanding the nagging little voice in the back of my mind whispering „remember Milton 😬
Milton had all of the tools to be successful. Two different staffs at major programs fell for his potential. We’re just lucky we quickly moved on from him. How many times before last year did we have JG as our only option?

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Milton had all of the tools to be successful. Two different staffs at major programs fell for his potential. We’re just lucky we quickly moved on from him. How many times before last year did we have JG as our only option?
I just hope the same thing doesn’t happen with Nico. Has all the tools on the HS field. Hope he steps seamlessly onto the turf at Shields Watkins with those tools still in possession 😃

It would be a hoot if QBs under Heupel end up having outstanding seasons, end winning or nearly winning the Heisman, and the result being Arch Manning decides to come to Tennessee. Not likely, but it'd be a hoot if did happen.

View attachment 461581have happened. But personally, I think the reality is he will end with (gagging) Kiffin, Mike Leach, or Riley.
Arch who?

I just hope the same thing doesn’t happen with Nico. Has all the tools on the HS field. Hope he steps seamlessly onto the turf at Shields Watkins with those tools still in possession 😃
Milton doesn’t have the mental makeup to be successful or hasn’t to this point. He just rushes mentally, idk that the game has ever slowed down for him at this level. Nico maybe a total bust but he just seems very comfortable in any situation. Seems to be super comfortable in his own skin.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Milton doesn’t have the mental makeup to be successful or hasn’t to this point. He just rushes mentally, idk that the game has ever slowed down for him at this level. Nico maybe a total bust but he just seems very comfortable in any situation. Seems to be super comfortable in his own skin.
That is indeed my hope

Brother, you speak as if Arch is going to spend years (plural) watching us before deciding. You talk about QBs (plural) having success as Vols, and seasons (plural) as well as Heisman campaigns (plural) passing.

Arch will make his college decision by the end of this coming season. He's going to watch Hendon Hooker play his senior year for the Vols. And then decide. There's no more time than that to impress him with Heup's QB whispering skill.

And yes, I agree with you, he's likely not coming to Tennessee. Anyway, we already have our future QB, Nico, in that class.
Actually I think he's committing this summer and enrolling in January. He's in the same class as Nico.

How come?
Just because he has Manning behind his name...
Sorry very much not silly and at the moment he sure isn't helping any teams get out in front for recruiting for '23

He isn't coming so this entire conversation is pointless as stated previously, but.....

"Just because he has Manning behind his name......"

Well, yes. Emphatically.

The Manning name is SEC royalty, and brings much more than on field success. Furthermore, one of those Manning's is probably the most beloved Vol ever. On top of......which Manning was a bust?

3 Manning's = 3 All-SEC's, 3 All-America's, 3 NFL starters, 2 (probably) Hall of Famers, 4 Super Bowl rings, 3 Super Bowl MVP trophies, 5 regular season MVP trophies, multiple NFL passing records, and now also NFL royalty. The list is endless.

Ummm, whatever that is, I'll take more of it if given the chance.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Actually I think he's committing this summer and enrolling in January. He's in the same class as Nico.
Yes, he is the same class as Nico.

But early enrollment hasn't become standard, has it? I mean, it is definitely common. Perhaps as common as not. But Arch could certainly wait until December (or even a bit later) to commit, sign by February, and come to campus in May or June. You know, the old-fashioned way. Heh. :)

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Arch isn't really a great fit for Heupel style of offense IMHO.
He'd be great actually he just didn't have much interest. Nico did, and they are very comparable. Six in the one hand, half a dozen in the other. We did good, but Arch is good too, and has wheels more like Archie did than either of his QB kids (Peyton and Eli).

Yes, he is the same class as Nico.

But early enrollment hasn't become standard, has it? I mean, it is definitely common. Perhaps as common as not. But Arch could certainly wait until December (or even a bit later) to commit, sign by February, and come to campus in May or June. You know, the old-fashioned way. Heh. :)
I think he plans to early enroll and to commit this summer so he can concentrate on his senior high school season.

As long as Milton remains on the roster and was Heupel's #1 pick to be a starting QB, I'll reserve my long term judgement as to his ability to be a QB whisperer. He lucked out with Hooker who he had benched early for Milton and not recruited and saved his season last year.
What part of Arkansas do you live?

Better you think? Probably about the same from what I've seen. We'll know in a few years.

Yeah, I think he's significantly better, actually.
Right now.

With that said...this is a Manning.
And he's athletic...and has pedigree in his blood and just around him all the time.

Nico has Heupel.

I think in 4 years, we're still going to be debating as each one vies for #1 or #2 overall pick in the NFL draft.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Yeah, I think he's significantly better, actually.
Right now.

With that said...this is a Manning.
And he's athletic...and has pedigree in his blood and just around him all the time.

Nico has Heupel.

I think in 4 years, we're still going to be debating as each one vies for #1 or #2 overall pick in the NFL draft.
Yeah, we're fine. I'm not worried, I just think Arch looks comparable.

Why would you even want arch at this point? We got a top 5 overall prospect in nico. And consider this…he’s garnered all the attention he has with no famous family connection. It’s highly possible that he ends up better than arch. And he’s out there working hard to bring other great prospects to Tennessee. Not that it’s a requirement but arch being slow on the trail means whatever team he ends up at won’t have had him helping the class for long. We are a loyal fan base. And if an elite qb is going to go all in with us we need to go all in with him. And for the most part I think that’s what we’re doing.

I don't get a good read on Arch Manning's personality, but I feel Nico is a good frontman for Vol Football.
If he is the face of our football program in 2023, or if he is playing behind Joe Milton (quite possible if Milton does actually improve) and is the face of the program in 2024, we are set.

VN Store

Back