Not a good day to bring this up...but it is VERY IMPORTANT

Heupel needs a contract extension and raise now!! Kentucky just gave Stoops.an extension through 2030 and raise to a guaranteed $9 Million per year and an increased buyout!! Now is the time to dispassionately think long term, Tennessee cannot afford to risk another coaching change!! Heupel is an incredible talent and must stay!! We will go 10-2 and to a major bowl this year, beaten top 10 teams and in the running for the national championship...astounding by any objective measure
Oh. And we will NOT be in a NY6 bowl this year.

Citrus most likely as we will be the 4th highest ranked SEC team (UGA, LSU, AL, then us).

Reactions: UTFanHades
Now is the time to dispassionately think long term, Tennessee cannot afford to risk another coaching change!! Heupel is an incredible talent and must stay!! We will go 10-2 and to a major bowl this year, beaten top 10 teams and in the running for the national championship...astounding by any objective measure.
Seems I remember this type of argument with Butch as well.

How about this…..don’t lose to unranked teams.

Or how about this…are we expecting another school to come after him after this embarrassing loss?

Why do we need to give him a raise? I think a lot of shine is off that diamond now.

Need to see how next year shakes out and make sure this year wasn’t a fluke. Could be back to 7-5 next year. We will lose a lot of players and see what he can do next year with key pieces to this years success gone.

If he gets an extension after this lost, it will end poorly for us. Make him earn that contract extension.
How long would you stay at a job where your evaluation goes something like this:

You exceeded the expectations we had for you at the beginning year, rather spectacularly really.

You accomplished a goal we'd not managed to meet for 15 years and didn't expect at the beginning of the year to even have a chance of meeting.

You lifted us so that we were judged the top in our field (which had not happened in decades) for a brief time.

But, you had a bad week...... so no raise for you.

Nope.
Prove to me you can win on the road.
Then we will talk.

Did that at LSU/Pitt. You really going to hold the GA loss against him in the same measure as the SC loss?

Heupel's salary ranks 11th in the SEC. Probably will finish 10-2 in contrast to just three wins in Pruitt's final 2020 season.
In P5 football, that gets rewarded and you don't substitute fan-think for business decisions.

Did that at LSU/Pitt. You really going to hold the GA loss against him in the same measure as the SC loss?

Heupel's salary ranks 11th in the SEC. Probably will finish 10-2 in contrast to just three wins in Pruitt's final 2020 season.
In P5 football, that gets rewarded and you don't substitute fan-think for business decisions.

Maybe they should listen to the fans about this matter. You don't want the Jimbo situation or worse, another Pruitt situation at UT. Make him earn the contract extension.

Reactions: tbones0711

LSU at 11:00 am is not a road game. Fans were still asleep and not a hostile environment.

Pitt ended up being a mediocre-to-low ACC team that actually took us to overtime before we could win.

Next year, we will face UF, AL, KY and Mizzou on the road. Those environments will be true Road environments. I want to see his ability to win in those situations before I finance my future.

We have been too loose with extensions and raised in the past for any signs of improvement. This has led to us having huge buyouts because we jumped too fast. I do not think any teams are going to come pull him away from us after that turd left in SC.

How long would you stay at a job where your evaluation goes something like this:

You exceeded the expectations we had for you at the beginning year, rather spectacularly really.

You accomplished a goal we'd not managed to meet for 15 years and didn't expect at the beginning of the year to even have a chance of meeting.

You lifted us so that we were judged the top in our field (which had not happened in decades) for a brief time.

But, you had a bad week...... so no raise for you.
Give him the Jimbo contract and go with all male cheerleaders so we can complete the transition to Texas A&M east

LSU at 11:00 am is not a road game. Fans were still asleep and not a hostile environment.

Pitt ended up being a mediocre-to-low ACC team that actually took us to overtime before we could win.

Next year, we will face UF, AL, KY and Mizzou on the road. Those environments will be true Road environments. I want to see his ability to win in those situations before I finance my future.

We have been too loose with extensions and raised in the past for any signs of improvement. This has led to us having huge buyouts because we jumped too fast. I do not think any teams are going to come pull him away from us after that turd left in SC.
The university couldn't even afford to buy Pruitt out when the time came to get rid of him.

Wrong. LSU will have 3 losses and one of those is a blowout to us.

Cotton if we beat VU
You are right. I forget that LSU will take one more L in the game vs UGA. So that will love us over LSU in the final standings.

As long as we can beat Vandy—which is not a gimme.

Maybe they should listen to the fans about this matter. You don't want the Jimbo situation or worse, another Pruitt situation at UT. Make him earn the contract extension.

Why jump to the J. Fisher extreme to argue the point? There's a lot of ground between his current salary (#11 in the SEC) and doing a Fisher deal.
He's earned it and sober fans are good with a bump for the guy.

I agree and we need to give him money to retain offensive staff and to acquire a new defensive coordinator and secondary coach
I will agree to give him money for assistants and to get a better defensive staff (after the early signing period)

Kliff Kingsbury has survived in NFL, so why couldnt Heupel. I am not saying pay the man 9 million but if NFL does come calling its something to think about and then where are we back where we was 2 years ago struggling to find a coach. Everybody says UT is a great job and I think so but why doesnt any big time HC want to come here food for thought

Because for almost 20 years, this job was plagued by politics and a sham excuse of administration. That clearly has changed.

Why jump to the J. Fisher extreme to argue the point? There's a lot of ground between his current salary (#11 in the SEC) and doing a Fisher deal.
He's earned it and sober fans are good with a bump for the guy.
You can see alot of people on here besides me are not ok with it. Really good way to sink your university into mediocrity for a long time. Playoffs was the goal last night and they failed miserably.

Oh. And we will NOT be in a NY6 bowl this year.

Citrus most likely as we will be the 4th highest ranked SEC team (UGA, LSU, AL, then us).

I kindly disagree. UGA beats LSU and gives them a 3rd loss . A 3 loss LSU team that we beat by 27 points in Baton Rouge will not finish above 10-2 UT.

We should be in the Sugar Bowl.

Any talk of a raises and/or extensions should wait until after the season is over. At that point all the data for the season including bowl game will be available for evaluation.

Reactions: NCFisher
Heupel, the offensive staff, and Garner need a substantial raise due to the overall upward trajectory of the program. Banks and Martinez deserve nothing except a spot on the hot seat or their outright release.

LSU and Pitt don't count....
Hell, for that matter let's dock him the AL and FL wins, too because AL almost required OT, and FL came back from 18 down in the final minutes and we REALLY wanted to wax them by 40.

You can't be serious.

This isn't past extensions/coaches, etc.; it's the present and we have a coach who pulled wins from the best coach you'll see in your lifetime we haven't beaten in 15 years, a FL program who's owned us even worse than AL, and one of the best at LSU. All of them stacked with more talent than TN barely removed from 3 wins and 30 portal transfers.

If Heupel gave any indication he'd move, there'd be a damned line at his door because college football is a business run on business decisions, not one shite showing. You bump his pay to show him appreciation in either event.

VN Store

Back