Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

Iowa State's point guard played a great game against Baylor - the team had a very poor last quarter and the score didn't show how well IS plate. I believe the PG is a senior?

Just say her name because we know you know it. You’re referencing Lady Vol transfer Alexa Middleton. There you go.

Depends on who Tennessee's coach is and if there are any player defections. The expected LV roster next season is absolutely good enough to beat UConn, assuming there's a competent coach at the helm. If Holly's there, then UConn will blast them off the court, and Tennessee will basically be UConn's replacement for whatever SEC creampuff they normally plan (Vandy, LSU, etc...). I also don't think they'll be losing an AAC game anytime soon. Even with the departures, they will still have a starting 5 with 2 #1, a #3 and a #4 HS rankings. They will be good, but not deep and without a consensus WBCA AA type player.

Looks to me like Holly will still be the coach unfortunately. Unless some sort of miracle happens. I’m not sure who else they have scheduled, but when they agreed to play us we were a projected top 10 team. Probably not going to be the case which hurts them.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Looks to me like Holly will still be the coach unfortunately. Unless some sort of miracle happens. I’m not sure who else they have scheduled, but when they agreed to play us we were a projected top 10 team. Probably not going to be the case which hurts them.

Not sure...they usually load up their OOC schedule, so I don't think Tennessee being a bad team will hurt them that much. Hell, Geno probably figured that would be the case when he scheduled the game, and was expecting Tennessee to fit one of the cupcake slots when he needs a breather from playing good teams in his OOC schedule.

Traditionally Tennessee has been ranked pretty high to start and I would guess that stays the same next year. UConn has typically played a couple late season OOC games but those have been w/ South Carolina & Louisville and on occasion I believe Maryland as well. If they play Tennessee pre-AAC (instead of in the middle of the season like SCar who I believe is still on the schedule next year along w/ Baylor and Louisville and Notre Dame among others) while Tennessee is presumably still ranked in the Top 25 it should be mutually beneficial.

Traditionally Tennessee has been ranked pretty high to start and I would guess that stays the same next year. UConn has typically played a couple late season OOC games but those have been w/ South Carolina & Louisville and on occasion I believe Maryland as well. If they play Tennessee pre-AAC (instead of in the middle of the season like SCar who I believe is still on the schedule next year along w/ Baylor and Louisville and Notre Dame among others) while Tennessee is presumably still ranked in the Top 25 it should be mutually beneficial.
It's not the ranking at the time of the game that matters. It's where the team finishes. Tennessee could be #1 in the rankings when they play UConn, and it won't help their SOS or RPI if they fall out of the rankings by season's end.

And seriously...any pollsters that have Tennessee in the rankings if Holly is still the coach needs to have their heads examined (assuming they don't make a huge run in the NCAAT).

It's not the ranking at the time of the game that matters. It's where the team finishes. Tennessee could be #1 in the rankings when they play UConn, and it won't help their SOS or RPI if they fall out of the rankings by season's end.

And seriously...any pollsters that have Tennessee in the rankings if Holly is still the coach needs to have their heads examined (assuming they don't make a huge run in the NCAAT).
I suppose you're right about the finish. I guess I didn't think about that. I would say it's still mutually beneficial if it helps Tennessee w/ their attendance numbers and it'll still be a bunch of talent on the floor so the game in theory will be competitive. I may attend that one depending on when it is. I am thinking they still get a ton of votes next year and will be ranked somewhere in the Top 25 to start simply based on Westbrook and Davis being upperclassmen and they still have all those other young talented players.

I suppose you're right about the finish. I guess I didn't think about that. I would say it's still mutually beneficial if it helps Tennessee w/ their attendance numbers and it'll still be a bunch of talent on the floor so the game in theory will be competitive. I may attend that one depending on when it is. I am thinking they still get a ton of votes next year and will be ranked somewhere in the Top 25 to start simply based on Westbrook and Davis being upperclassmen and they still have all those other young talented players.

We will have to wait a month or so on that last sentence in your post.

there are too many variables for a full season to be had like this last one.
The next step will be to see if we get invites from the WNIT
enuff !

We will have to wait a month or so on that last sentence in your post.
I don't think anyone leaves for 2 reasons:

1. They are all getting some playing time w/ the exception of Harris who doesn't seem bothered by not getting much time.
2. They players seem to be the ones with the reigns at this point. The demeanor I've seen on the court with this group in combination with the demeanor displayed in their social media seems to indicate they want to be the ones to help lift Warlick and staff up. They don't seem upset or angry or like they believe they've underachieved. Of course I'm sure they don't particularly like losing but the sports psychology displayed here doesn't seem to indicate mass defections are imminent.

It appears the exact opposite IMO. They seem largely externally motivated which is likely why they can turn on and off their effort & energy whenever they choose. I believe that is usually the case when you know you're the one in control and accountability isn't coming at you hard. Why leave? The advantages at Tennessee even while losing, greatly outweigh most other DI schools, and if you're in control most kids would take the control and some success mixed with some failure, over no control (Although most Top Tier WCBB teams do give a bit of control to the players by way of stellar & consistent performance as currency which then = more trust, more playing time, ect.).

there are too many variables for a full season to be had like this last one.
The next step will be to see if we get invites from the WNIT
enuff !

I am not sure what next year will look like. It could be quite similar where they likely start off with a bunch of wins and then taper through conference play. I'm not sure how good the SEC will be overall next year so they could do damage. I know Dawn has a monster class coming in but I don't know about Kentucky & Missouri or what Hail State has on the back burner. I think if they could start fixing some of the issues in those early season wins where they played poorly but got away with it and then never corrected it it would help them later on. When I say that I mean for staff and players both. They are more surviving than they are thriving and that's a tough spot to be in late in the season.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol

1. They are all getting some playing time w/ the exception of Harris who doesn't seem bothered by not getting much time.
2. They players seem to be the ones with the reigns at this point. The demeanor I've seen on the court with this group in combination with the demeanor displayed in their social media seems to indicate they want to be the ones to help lift Warlick and staff up. They don't seem upset or angry or like they believe they've underachieved. Of course I'm sure they don't particularly like losing but the sports psychology displayed here doesn't seem to indicate mass defections are imminent.

It appears the exact opposite IMO. They seem largely externally motivated which is likely why they can turn on and off their effort & energy whenever they choose. I believe that is usually the case when you know you're the one in control and accountability isn't coming at you hard. Why leave? The advantages at Tennessee even while losing, greatly outweigh most other DI schools, and if you're in control most kids would take the control and some success mixed with some failure, over no control (Although most Top Tier WCBB teams do give a bit of control to the players by way of stellar & consistent performance as currency which then = more trust, more playing time, ect.).

I am not sure what next year will look like. It could be quite similar where they likely start off with a bunch of wins and then taper through conference play. I'm not sure how good the SEC will be overall next year so they could do damage. I know Dawn has a monster class coming in but I don't know about Kentucky & Missouri or what Hail State has on the back burner. I think if they could start fixing some of the issues in those early season wins where they played poorly but got away with it and then never corrected it it would help them later on. When I say that I mean for staff and players both. They are more surviving than they are thriving and that's a tough spot to be in late in the season.

Next Year The lady Vols will have a rim protector and a young lady that can also get on the glass 6-6 Tamari Key

I think that assuming this leaked draw is correct, Tennessee gets bigly spanked by either UCLA or Maryland, and Holly keeps her job...then Rennia and Evina are gone. They would be complete idiots to stay. Well, that would be true for most of them, but especially these two plus Zaay Green, Collins and Kushkituah.

There's a real problem with this team because Holly has instilled a loser's mentality into the team. Moral victory! "We stayed with MSST for 2 1/2 quarters. Who cares that we lost by 28. It was really close for the first half!". "We shouldn't beat ND. Wow, we stayed with them for a quarter."

They are starting to believe that this is something to be proud of, and that's really scary.

I think that assuming this leaked draw is correct, Tennessee gets bigly spanked by either UCLA or Maryland, and Holly keeps her job...then Rennia and Evina are gone. They would be complete idiots to stay. Well, that would be true for most of them, but especially these two plus Zaay Green, Collins and Kushkituah.

There's a real problem with this team because Holly has instilled a loser's mentality into the team. Moral victory! "We stayed with MSST for 2 1/2 quarters. Who cares that we lost by 28. It was really close for the first half!". "We shouldn't beat ND. Wow, we stayed with them for a quarter."

They are starting to believe that this is something to be proud of, and that's really scary.
I would agree that there has certainly been a sharp turn in culture there. With this group being so young it's all they've known. So, to turn the ship around there would need to be someone on staff who recognizes that the culture has turned from "we expect to win" to "we're not suppose to win" and say that's not how we do things here. However that would have to start at the top for it to take root and if Holly is openly saying that stuff then I don't really expect that to change.

Next Year The lady Vols will have a rim protector and a young lady that can also get on the glass 6-6 Tamari Key

With Key coming in do you think they stick w/ trying to adapt to the motion offense or do they do the 2019-2020 version of just throw it to Russell? I hope they stick to the new offensive plan. It will better suit their best assets.

Reactions: mcannon1
I would agree that there has certainly been a sharp turn in culture there. With this group being so young it's all they've known. So, to turn the ship around there would need to be someone on staff who recognizes that the culture has turned from "we expect to win" to "we're not suppose to win" and say that's not how we do things here. However that would have to start at the top for it to take root and if Holly is openly saying that stuff then I don't really expect that to change.

With Key coming in do you think they stick w/ trying to adapt to the motion offense or do they do the 2019-2020 version of just throw it to Russell? I hope they stick to the new offensive plan. It will better suit their best assets.

No 2019-2020 version of just throw it to Russell none of that,

LSU is another team that turned down the WNIT. That makes five (along with Georgia, Georgia Tech, Purdue, and Utah). Usually there's only one or two. LSU women's basketball season is officially over. Administration and coaching staff mutually agreed not to accept a bid to the WNIT.

LSU is another team that turned down the WNIT. That makes five (along with Georgia, Georgia Tech, Purdue, and Utah). Usually there's only one or two. LSU women's basketball season is officially over. Administration and coaching staff mutually agreed not to accept a bid to the WNIT.
I admire their stance

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Wait, were we trying to adapt a motion offense this year? Was that a new offensive plan? What we saw this season was plenty offensive but who knew it was planned?

Years ago Pat was humble enough to seek out help to modernize her offense and include more motion but that's the last I ever heard of such a plan. Only offensive plan I've ever heard from Holly is defense, rebounding, and I don't know.

Wait, were we trying to adapt a motion offense this year? Was that a new offensive plan? What we saw this season was plenty offensive but who knew it was planned?
I believe it was the start of the 15-16 or maybe the 16-17 season that the staff announced they were installing a new offense if I recall correctly. My concern back then was that they recruited the right kids for a motion offense. In order for it to be successful you need kids with high BB IQ, quality willing passers, and proper knowledge of spacing. Their offense looks visibly better at times than it has in the past but statistically there hasn't been a ton of improvement. It's still super Jekyll & Hyde.

Years ago Pat was humble enough to seek out help to modernize her offense and include more motion but that's the last I ever heard of such a plan. Only offensive plan I've ever heard from Holly is defense, rebounding, and I don't know.
It was the spring of 2002 when CPS approached Perretta about moving to a motion offense. It never took root but defense and rebounding was a staple up until recently. So if this staffs claim to fame is having the 260th best defense then they have really gotten off track.

Mercer vs Iowa What a barn burner 51 - 48 Mercer end of the 3rd Note: 20 Iowa turnovers so far

#12 on Mercer will not even look at the basket Iowa is begging her to shoot and the announcers are not sure why she is out there pretty much.

Several good games already today! Marquette just barely knocked off Rice in OT. Rice did everything they needed to defensively and kept it a very low scoring game. Marquette had few transition opportunities. In the end Rice just couldn't put enough points on the board.

Rutgers also in close game to Buffalo.
Also, Congrats to the VOLS on moving on. That was a close one against Colgate.

Let’s go Drake!!
Wow, Mizzou got robbed with that play off the steal. Player got hit in the arm, head, and face on that layup with no foul called on Drake, then they call Sophie for her 4th foul trying to tie up. That was game right there.

Off to overtime. Each team with a pair of made threes. Been an entertaining game so far

VN Store

Back