Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I think USA basketball is a joke and I could care less if any of our coaches ever participate again.

I also do not care whether it had any impact on Brooks or Chastain. The new staff are already proving they can and will recruit better.

If those two want to be part of it, great, come on, if not, their loss.

Nyla would definitely be a nice player for CKC and I do hope she comes to UT. Very dynamic player.

So far Chastain looks really one dimensional. Very good shooter with great percentage from 3 but that’s about all there is to her game. Reminds me a little of Pissott. Chastain is going to need to add to her game or she’ll drop significantly in the 2027 rankings. Right now she’s a really good set shooter from 3 and an OK passer. Reminds me of King from Virginia Tech tbh.
Not sure I’d go so far as to say it’s a joke. But I agree they do need an overhaul. Reminds me of the men 10-15 years ago when they thought they could just send either older vets or younger flashy players over and roll the ball out. The world was sending fundamental players and started beating the US at their own game. The men have adapted. The women will need to soon or they will go through the same struggle.

Not sure I’d go so far as to say it’s a joke. But I agree they do need an overhaul. Reminds me of the men 10-15 years ago when they thought they could just send either older vets or younger flashy players over and roll the ball out. The world was sending fundamental players and started beating the US at their own game. The men have adapted. The women will need to soon or they will go through the same struggle.
Being a coach for the USA team does help in recruiting

Nyla Brooks would be a great fit for the system. I was told at session 1 by a college scout that she has the chance to be a longer Rickea Jackson if she works on her midrange. Her length would be great on the press.

But no top player will commit until they see a change in sub patterns. Club coaches are all leery of sending their top players to a school who has a coach that wants to sub players every 90-120 seconds. They are open with their concerns. They believe it can change but until CKC lands an elite player and proves she’ll leave them on the court it will be a tough sell. She doesn’t have that type of player yet and needs one in the worst way to prove the adjustment.

As far as Finley Chastain goes, her 20+ offers before committing were all as a point guard playing way up in age. Watched her play top 17u at Run4theRoses 2 summers ago as a 7th grader. She averaged over 6 assists a game for the tournament. Rarely even shot back then. As well as she’s shooting now her best quality is still her point guard play. Supposedly got her Tennessee offer as a smallish point guard starting opposite Madison Booker in a gym full of coaches watching Booker. Now she’s grown and filled out. Scout last weekend said she’s a 6’ Sue Bird. Heard that before. She starts at point for the top Adidas team with Keeley Parks as the shooting guard. Parks has UT in her top 15, too.

Not sure either Chastain or Parks are a great fit in the new system. They would fit better on the other side. Using their IQ and passing to pick the press apart like Va Tech did.

ESPN has posted about all 3 girls being among the best players in the Nike (Brooks) and Adidas (Parks and Chastain) circuits through 2 sessions. I know CKC has talked a lot with Brooks and she was posted at Adidas trying to watch Parks and Chastain.

Thank you for some concise info.

Nyla Brooks would be a great fit for the system. I was told at session 1 by a college scout that she has the chance to be a longer Rickea Jackson if she works on her midrange. Her length would be great on the press.

But no top player will commit until they see a change in sub patterns. Club coaches are all leery of sending their top players to a school who has a coach that wants to sub players every 90-120 seconds. They are open with their concerns. They believe it can change but until CKC lands an elite player and proves she’ll leave them on the court it will be a tough sell. She doesn’t have that type of player yet and needs one in the worst way to prove the adjustment.

As far as Finley Chastain goes, her 20+ offers before committing were all as a point guard playing way up in age. Watched her play top 17u at Run4theRoses 2 summers ago as a 7th grader. She averaged over 6 assists a game for the tournament. Rarely even shot back then. As well as she’s shooting now her best quality is still her point guard play. Supposedly got her Tennessee offer as a smallish point guard starting opposite Madison Booker in a gym full of coaches watching Booker. Now she’s grown and filled out. Scout last weekend said she’s a 6’ Sue Bird. Heard that before. She starts at point for the top Adidas team with Keeley Parks as the shooting guard. Parks has UT in her top 15, too.

Not sure either Chastain or Parks are a great fit in the new system. They would fit better on the other side. Using their IQ and passing to pick the press apart like Va Tech did.

ESPN has posted about all 3 girls being among the best players in the Nike (Brooks) and Adidas (Parks and Chastain) circuits through 2 sessions. I know CKC has talked a lot with Brooks and she was posted at Adidas trying to watch Parks and Chastain.
Let’s break this down…AAU coaches think they are more important than they truly are and for the most part is always giving bad advice. That is one of the reason there is 1.4K transfers every year.

2. FC is not a top level SEC or a Top 5 College team level player (SC, UConn, ans ND. Her team refuses to play anyone good in adidas circuit. If they do play a team with a top 100, that player isn’t playing which only happen once in the first session and she didn’t even play in the last session. So don’t let her first session fool you because No One of any talent was guarding her.

3. CKC and staff has an excited brand of basketball and top players are going to have fun, play hard, play together, and will buy in!!! They will put a strong product on the floor that will make Women’s basketball fun. The old days of 3 out to 2 in… walk the ball up and having players waste minutes by not playing hard but still taking up minutes.

4. This system will get the girls ready for the pro’s… (WNBA or Internationally) and the type of recruits they want I assume are the ones that want to play pro!

5. Lady Vols will once again be mentioned to the likes of UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and LSU. If and only if, they recruit top 40 kids… and stay away from fake news players we can get to that level again fast. Just because other low SEC coaches are offering doesn’t mean we have to offer. We are Tennessee and we need to be selective. For example, do you see UConn and South Carolina offering everyone. No!!! Leave that for Mississippi State and all those low level teams.

6. Now let’s get Dauda and Barker and let’s sit back and grab some 🍿 and watch our team have fun and put up a lot of points.

7. Ohhh and let’s throw a nice collective at A. Chavez and get her to Tennessee. She’s the next Caitlin Clark, Paige Bueckers, and JuJu Watkins. She is the next face of Women’s basketball and can we get a shooter that can shoot logo shots!!!

8. And finally let’s bring on CP next season (we have a spot on staff right) like LSU did with Seimone.

Tennessee is the only UT, especially since we were a University before Texas(UTjr) was a state. He'll that'd be in Mexico if it wasn't for the Volunteer state. You'll always be USCjr, no matter how many women's championships you win. Now if you win a men's championship in the Big 3 , then and only then will I call Southern Cal(UTjr). If you don't like that ; take you A$$ to the USCjr board and get off ourd.
What’s “ the Big 3?”

Tennessee is the only UT, especially since we were a University before Texas(UTjr) was a state. He'll that'd be in Mexico if it wasn't for the Volunteer state. You'll always be USCjr, no matter how many women's championships you win. Now if you win a men's championship in the Big 3 , then and only then will I call Southern Cal(UTjr). If you don't like that ; take you A$$ to the USCjr board and get off ourd.
Nice attitude to have on a WOMEN'S basketball board ( not to mention that SCar does have a "men's championship in the Big 3.")

But, I'm leaving your gourd alone.

Reactions: brittannica
Good Hire For LSU:
“It is an exciting day for the LSU Women’s Basketball program to bring Seimone Augustus back to join our staff,” Mulkey said. “As a player at LSU, Seimone helped transform the program as the best player in the nation. She brought LSU to national prominence. She will be a tremendous member on our staff as someone with great experience who has excelled at every level of the game from high school in Baton Rouge to college to the WNBA to the Olympics. Her expertise in the game will benefit our team and allow our players the opportunity to learn from a Hall of Famer who has exhibited great class throughout her entire career.”

Let’s break this down…AAU coaches think they are more important than they truly are and for the most part is always giving bad advice. That is one of the reason there is 1.4K transfers every year.

2. FC is not a top level SEC or a Top 5 College team level player (SC, UConn, ans ND. Her team refuses to play anyone good in adidas circuit. If they do play a team with a top 100, that player isn’t playing which only happen once in the first session and she didn’t even play in the last session. So don’t let her first session fool you because No One of any talent was guarding her.

3. CKC and staff has an excited brand of basketball and top players are going to have fun, play hard, play together, and will buy in!!! They will put a strong product on the floor that will make Women’s basketball fun. The old days of 3 out to 2 in… walk the ball up and having players waste minutes by not playing hard but still taking up minutes.

4. This system will get the girls ready for the pro’s… (WNBA or Internationally) and the type of recruits they want I assume are the ones that want to play pro!

5. Lady Vols will once again be mentioned to the likes of UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and LSU. If and only if, they recruit top 40 kids… and stay away from fake news players we can get to that level again fast. Just because other low SEC coaches are offering doesn’t mean we have to offer. We are Tennessee and we need to be selective. For example, do you see UConn and South Carolina offering everyone. No!!! Leave that for Mississippi State and all those low level teams.

6. Now let’s get Dauda and Barker and let’s sit back and grab some 🍿 and watch our team have fun and put up a lot of points.

7. Ohhh and let’s throw a nice collective at A. Chavez and get her to Tennessee. She’s the next Caitlin Clark, Paige Bueckers, and JuJu Watkins. She is the next face of Women’s basketball and can we get a shooter that can shoot logo shots!!!

8. And finally let’s bring on CP next season (we have a spot on staff right) like LSU did with Seimone.
No reason to debate ignorance, but why not try. The fact that you think Adidas teams get to choose who they play in the sessions tell me you have no clue how summer ball works. Adidas, similar to EYBL, breaks teams into pools. For Adidas they play everyone in their pool plus one game outside of their pool. The teams have NO CONTROL over who they play in a session. Again, since you don’t even know the setup I assume you don’t know the teams either. Their pool is ranked 2 out of 4 pools in the circuit through 2 sessions and have 3 teams that made the final 8 last year.

The rest is mostly opinion. You are entitled to yours, but we’ve seen and heard about coaches reinventing basketball before. Sometimes it works for a bit, but mostly it doesn’t. Georgia Amoore and Kenny Brooks aren’t likely worried about a press they torched and beat by 47 points last year. The players might be more athletic, but they will still have a roster of players who couldn’t excel at bottom feeder SEC programs and they won’t have a draft prospect anywhere on the roster.

As far as NB and FC, those quotes were from people who have been ranking players for 25+ years and have nearly every major college on their client list. I don’t know what FC will turn out to be and neither do you. But to act like it’s normal for a 8th grader to have 4-5 offers from teams ranked in the top 25 before high school is just ignorant. Out of those 4-5 offers she had Ohio St the year they went to the Elite 8 and LSU when they won the title. There aren’t too many kids walking around middle school with offers from 2 of the final 8 teams in the tourney when they cut off their recruitment before high school. Maybe she drops to 30 before she graduates. Do you not understand that every school not named SCar would celebrate a commitment from the 30th ranked player?

Prepare for the WNBA? Do you watch those games? I’m happy to loan you a Synergy account if you need it to see that the percentage of time pressing in the league is minimal and the amount of time remaining on the shot clock when the shot goes up is a very low number. The new style will be exciting. No doubt. But no one in the WNBA or NBA plays that way. Unless you’re saying that a young D2 coach with almost no D1 experience has thought of something the top minds at the pro level haven’t. 🙄

I agreed with you on Team USA and I agree 100% on AC. She is special! Very, very special! Neither FC nor NB are even in that conversation. But very few are. I’ve seen her develop for years and watching her at session 2 of EYBL made me appreciate her even more. But I know from several levels of personal knowledge that UT was a long shot before and has just above zero chance now. Let’s just say the style isn’t very enticing to the decision maker and leave it at that.

I actually enjoy the banter. Just not the few items that are factually incorrect. The rest will be fun to see how they play out. 🍿 indeed!

No reason to debate ignorance, but why not try. The fact that you think Adidas teams get to choose who they play in the sessions tell me you have no clue how summer ball works. Adidas, similar to EYBL, breaks teams into pools. For Adidas they play everyone in their pool plus one game outside of their pool. The teams have NO CONTROL over who they play in a session. Again, since you don’t even know the setup I assume you don’t know the teams either. Their pool is ranked 2 out of 4 pools in the circuit through 2 sessions and have 3 teams that made the final 8 last year.

The rest is mostly opinion. You are entitled to yours, but we’ve seen and heard about coaches reinventing basketball before. Sometimes it works for a bit, but mostly it doesn’t. Georgia Amoore and Kenny Brooks aren’t likely worried about a press they torched and beat by 47 points last year. The players might be more athletic, but they will still have a roster of players who couldn’t excel at bottom feeder SEC programs and they won’t have a draft prospect anywhere on the roster.

As far as NB and FC, those quotes were from people who have been ranking players for 25+ years and have nearly every major college on their client list. I don’t know what FC will turn out to be and neither do you. But to act like it’s normal for a 8th grader to have 4-5 offers from teams ranked in the top 25 before high school is just ignorant. Out of those 4-5 offers she had Ohio St the year they went to the Elite 8 and LSU when they won the title. There aren’t too many kids walking around middle school with offers from 2 of the final 8 teams in the tourney when they cut off their recruitment before high school. Maybe she drops to 30 before she graduates. Do you not understand that every school not named SCar would celebrate a commitment from the 30th ranked player?

Prepare for the WNBA? Do you watch those games? I’m happy to loan you a Synergy account if you need it to see that the percentage of time pressing in the league is minimal and the amount of time remaining on the shot clock when the shot goes up is a very low number. The new style will be exciting. No doubt. But no one in the WNBA or NBA plays that way. Unless you’re saying that a young D2 coach with almost no D1 experience has thought of something the top minds at the pro level haven’t. 🙄

I agreed with you on Team USA and I agree 100% on AC. She is special! Very, very special! Neither FC nor NB are even in that conversation. But very few are. I’ve seen her develop for years and watching her at session 2 of EYBL made me appreciate her even more. But I know from several levels of personal knowledge that UT was a long shot before and has just above zero chance now. Let’s just say the style isn’t very enticing to the decision maker and leave it at that.

I actually enjoy the banter. Just not the few items that are factually incorrect. The rest will be fun to see how they play out. 🍿 indeed!
What is your synergy account??

VN Store

Back