Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Cardosa is an agile bully.
Not sure that this is meant as a compliment or not, but last night it didn't matter how badly the SC wings shot the ball. They were practically assists to Cardoso for easy layups. One thing I noticed with her is that when she gets the ball...either off a pass or a rebound...she generally does a good job of keeping the ball up high to protect it. She's got really good fundamentals there.

Cardoso, Amihere and Boston on the court together is hard to contain. Even when they miss Cardoso is getting pushbacks. Smart lineup for Dawn to overwhelm UCLA with size.
That is the lineup that swung the momentum to SC. Amihere is so athletic at 6’3”, she can even guard a PG and bring the ball up court as a PG herself, really good handles and she plays up at rim level most of the game. Cardoso is just underrated by most, her production per minutes played is really good.

In that lineup, UCLA was still doubling on Boston, allowing SC to free up 6’7” Cardoso down low and dominate the Bruins defensively. It’s a tough lineup to outscore because Boston is still gonna get her numbers as well. Amihere is so athletic, the Bruins had to keep fouling her because she is so hard to guard and her elevation is elite. That defensive lineup includes Bree Hall at the 2 spot.

SC is still lacking a knockdown three shooter to replace Henderson, no question, but there are players like Hall capable of filling that role soon. Cardoso is going to play more and more as season goes along against the better teams, she is really hard to defend.

Last edited:
That is the lineup that swung the momentum to SC. Amihere is so athletic at 6’3”, she can even guard a PG and bring the ball up court as a PG herself, really good handles and she plays up at rim level most of the game. Cardoso is just underrated by most, her production per minutes played is really good.

In that lineup, UCLA was still doubling on Boston, allowing SC to free up Cardoso down low and dominate the Bruins defensively. It’s a tough lineup to outscore because Boston is still gonna get her numbers as well. Amihere is so athletic, the Bruins had to keep fouling her because she is so hard to guard and her elevation is elite. That defensive lineup includes Bree Hall at the 2 spot.

I agree that lineup was the difference in the game UCLA was playing players in the paint. Also Fletcher, Johnson, Beal need to start knocking down shots so teams can`t pack the paint with players.

I agree that lineup was the difference in the game UCLA was playing players in the paint. Also Fletcher, Johnson, Beal need to start knocking down shots so teams can`t pack the paint with players.
I think Fletcher will start hitting 3’s soon, she is just now getting into playing form after a year off due to injury. She only started practicing full go with SC about 10 days before the season began, she is shaking off rust, same for Johnson. Hall at the 2 spot is elite defense and she can drain 3’s as well.

I think Fletcher will start hitting 3’s soon, she is just now getting into playing form after a year off due to injury. She only started practicing full go with SC about 10 days before the season began, she is shaking off rust, same for Johnson. Hall at the 2 spot is elite defense and she can drain 3’s as well.

True

Seemed that the game turned when Fletcher started taking 1-2 steps inside the arc and made like 4-5 18 foot jumpers in a row. They had to come out and guard her. Playing Cardoso and Boston together also forced UCLA to pick their poison. They couldn't guard both at the same time.

Seemed that the game turned when Fletcher started taking 1-2 steps inside the arc and made like 4-5 18 foot jumpers in a row. They had to come out and guard her. Playing Cardoso and Boston together also forced UCLA to pick their poison. They couldn't guard both at the same time.
Amb, they picked their poison and decided to stay with a double on Boston all night. Staley will keep starting Saxton in a ceremonial type gesture and give her 15 minutes per game, but this team really picks up when Amihere comes in for Saxton and Cardoso plays alongside her and Boston.

Then you have Amihere bring the ball upcourt with Cooke at the 2 spot and Hall coming in for Beal at the 3 spot. That’s their best lineup right now in crunch minutes. Same lineup as in the 4th against Stanford and last night in 4th against UCLA. Those teams were both overwhelmed defensively against that lineup and their numbers show it.

Last edited:
I saw what I needed to see. Now it’s time to put the pedal to the metal.. give the floor general #15 TN PG the reign to run the offense(for these uneducated/educated grammer police folks) and build around two superstars at the forward positions in Top 5 projected WNBA picks Rickea Jackson and Jordan Horston. With Tamari Key in the middle it’s time to stand on business! Franklin and Hollingshead coming. Behind A. Boston there’s not a more athletic 4/5 in the SEC than Jillian Hollingshead!
Stand on business!

OSU is real….B10 has several great teams this year. If Berger from IU wasn’t hurt, I think they would take down UNC, not sure without her, but she should be back soon. B10 is playing some great ball.

In 2020 when the tourney was cancelled and SC was #1 from the start, they had only one loss, to IU…..early in season but IU won that game. SC would have won another NC that year likely, but IU was only team to step up that season and beat the best.

VN Store

Back