Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Kellie left the program at a high note and stocked with seasoned underclassmen, pretty much only losing senior Danielle Gitzen. Understandable that Mox (or anyone) would take a job promotion, but Mo State fans should be especially grateful to Kellie for the foundation she laid.

And especially frustrated with Coach Mox IMO. She rested on her laurels with all Kellie’s players and did not do any significant recruiting to replace those girls. MO State is likely headed downward unless they can find a dynamite coach.

Some of the parents and former players talked crap about Kellie when she left and were all excited about Coach Mox. Kellie left them in a great position though and Coach Mox has done the exact opposite.

I don’t see anyone looking at that this season and really wanting that challenge except a young up and comer.

Maybe time for Stiles to try being a head coach?

They don't need that 4 seniors already at the door

From Charlie Creme;
One year after having to transition to a new coaching staff, the Bears are going to have to adjust to a new roster. Bickle and Ja'Mee Asberry are both coming back to use their extra year of eligibility, and Sarah Andrews is just a sophomore, but three starters -- Smith, Queen Egbo and Jordan Lewis -- will be gone. That means replacing three of the top four scorers and the two leading rebounders.

Aside from our game with Belmont, I’m very intrigued for the UCF/UCONN matchup. I really think UCF’s defensive style could really cause some issues for UCONN. I hope I’m right, it’d be amazing to see UCF best UCONN!
UCF defense is physical. Game could depend on the way refs call the game. The Iowa game was way physical.

Aside from our game with Belmont, I’m very intrigued for the UCF/UCONN matchup. I really think UCF’s defensive style could really cause some issues for UCONN. I hope I’m right, it’d be amazing to see UCF best UCONN!
UCF's extreme physicality has always given UConn trouble but never had enough offense to win. I haven't seen them this year but i've read the offense is much better than the last time they played.

UCF's extreme physicality has always given UConn trouble but never had enough offense to win. I haven't seen them this year but i've read the offense is much better than the last time they played.

Not that it matters, but we played them earlier this year, and we only squeaked out the win with 49 points. They were stifling on defense. They’ve only lost 3 games, so it’s possibly they could pull off an upset, especially with so many teams doing so this year. Nothing is impossible. I just am hoping our Lady Vols come prepared, focused and in tune tonight for Belmont.

Bad hire by Virginia IMO. Far as I’m concerned she is still totally unproven as a head coach. She took over a Sweet 16 team and returned all the players for 2-3 seasons. They got progressively worse each season, especially on the defensive end.

Have a feeling it’ll be 3 and out at UVA for her.
She'll do a lot better at UVA than Tina did. She (Coach Mox) is from Virginia and Went to high school not to far from where a lot of the top talent is right now coming out of the DMV (DC, Maryland, and Virginia). She will be able to get in on some of the players at Sidwell, McNamara, Paul VI as well as Team Durant and Team Takeover (two of the well recognized AAU programs in the area) not to Mention the young ladies playing for Boo Williams. Imo she left at the right time and in a better recruiting area for what she is probably looking to do. Only time will tell!

From Charlie Creme;
One year after having to transition to a new coaching staff, the Bears are going to have to adjust to a new roster. Bickle and Ja'Mee Asberry are both coming back to use their extra year of eligibility, and Sarah Andrews is just a sophomore, but three starters -- Smith, Queen Egbo and Jordan Lewis -- will be gone. That means replacing three of the top four scorers and the two leading rebounders.
Queen should consider doing a covid year unless she's going to grad transfer elsewhere, because I don't see her being drafted, But with this being a weaker class for post players compared to next, I could see why she would consider leaving this year.

Is it fair to say this soon that this is the most exciting tournament ever? To actually be sitting here feeling so completely uncertain when predicting outcomes of any games now is just crazy fun. It's one of those "I didn't know how much I needed this until I had it" moments in life.

It feels like some kind of karmic portal has opened up and is funneling all the basketball gods toward the games featuring the long-suffering mid-majors to help them, and sending the big, bad P5 favorites home. What a weekend! :eek:
refs not as bias for higher rank team is helping!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When the Lady Vols played them early on that defense was very sticky and they do have a couple players that can score the ball, but that game was ugly and very defensive-oriented. Brooklyn Miles made a name for herself that night on the defensive end.

I thought the exact same thing. Kellie's recruits are all seniors and Mox has not recruited well at all. This Virginia job will show if she is a strong head coach or not very quickly.

I agree, I was watching her recruiting closely to see how she would fair after Harper’s players were gone. She did not attract any decent recruits that I could see.

Got very lucky with the COVID year or they would have gotten their butts beat this season and she would not have looked quite so attractive as a coach. She got a lot of hype but I felt it was misdirected as she inherited a cherry situation from Harper.

Queen should consider doing a covid year unless she's going to grad transfer elsewhere, because I don't see her being drafted, But with this being a weaker class for post players compared to next, I could see why she would consider leaving this year.

I think she ought to get while the getting is good. Don’t see her improving with a COVID year and her chances of making a roster are better this season. Queen has been about the same player her entire career. If anyone could make her an elite post player it was Mulkey and she was hit or miss then. Don’t see Collen getting her to the next level, will just be more of the same but with more losses.

When the Lady Vols played them early on that defense was very sticky and they do have a couple players that can score the ball, but that game was ugly and very defensive-oriented. Brooklyn Miles made a name for herself that night on the defensive end.
They have always been a pain to play against. My daughter lives in Orlando so I would arrange a visit when UConn would be playing UCF. UConn typically dominated the game but it was always just slogging along. Our seniors have already played them 4 or 5 times so it won't be a surprise to them.

Gosh, today's slate of games is amazing. Since I'm a big fan of Coach Moren and Indiana, I'm obviously looking forward to the Princeton at Indiana game after our game is over. Should be fun!

The more I think about it, the more I believe the entire day's slate is really, really exciting. I am thoroughly enjoying this tournament.

VN Store

Back