Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Newdog should consider that a dislike for Geno and Connecticut wasn’t the only reason many of us were rooting for Baylor. I root for Baylor in games like this primarily because Kim Mulkey loved Pat Summitt and always gave her the respect she deserved. She doesn’t resort to childish mindgames in victory or defeat.
Yes, Kim loved Pat and still speaks of her in glowing terms. She admires the program that Coach built at Tennessee and what she meant to the game.

Yes, Kim loved Pat and still speaks of her in glowing terms. She admires the program that Coach built at Tennessee and what she meant to the game.
And Kim is probably the female WCBB coach who is the closest to Pat in terms of coaching greatness. I am not implying that Kellie can not reach this level but for the present, Kim is the next best after Pat.

Right here! reading all your victory statements. WE didn't have an answer for Baylor in the 4th period. and got whipped. Not the first time. But going into this year I was worried about this game and the SC game (@SCspur can attest to that) I figured we would lose 3 games for the year (Baylor, SC, and Oregon). With this team I am just hoping to keep the string of final 4 appearances going. Geno and CD have both said, and I quote, " I know what a top rated team looks like, this is not that team." So this is going to be a great year of WBB. But with the commitments we have in the 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes, it won't be too long before UConn is 'bad for women's basketball again.

Geno def has some recruits coming in that can help! The thing is we have seen it before where he has so many good recruits that some left and then the classes after them suffered so nothing is a guarantee anymore. I do believe Geno still has more left in the tank for sure and he is still a really good b-ball coach.

Also with increasing age and probable health issues that he has had who knows how long he will be around so that could wreak havoc on some of the commitments and recruits. I wish him LOTS of health! While I bleed orange I don’t wish ill will on anyone !

Geno def has some recruits coming in that can help! The thing is we have seen it before where he has so many good recruits that some left and then the classes after them suffered so nothing is a guarantee anymore. I do believe Geno still has more left in the tank for sure and he is still a really good b-ball coach.

Also with increasing age and probable health issues that he has had who knows how long he will be around so that could wreak havoc on some of the commitments and recruits. I wish him LOTS of health! While I bleed orange I don’t wish ill will on anyone !
It typically takes about 3 years for recruits to commit to a program. Geno had a couple of whiffs when he lost a lot of recruiting time when he spent 8 years with USA WBB. He's back recruiting stronger than ever and the new recruiting coordinator Jaz Lister is doing a bang up job. Geno was back at practice after 3 days and he says he is good for about another 10 years. So we are not worried. A few years ago we had 3 players transfer; one would not get in shape to play UConn ball, one was blocked for playing time, and one was asked to leave for off court issues. Since then we haven't had anyone transfer.

Yeah this is a down year for us. It looks like we'll get about 3 loses to top 5 programs. We've got a shot at another final 4 but maybe not 12 in a row is pretty incredible.

It typically takes about 3 years for recruits to commit to a program. Geno had a couple of whiffs when he lost a lot of recruiting time when he spent 8 years with USA WBB. He's back recruiting stronger than ever and the new recruiting coordinator Jaz Lister is doing a bang up job. Geno was back at practice after 3 days and he says he is good for about another 10 years. So we are not worried. A few years ago we had 3 players transfer; one would not get in shape to play UConn ball, one was blocked for playing time, and one was asked to leave for off court issues. Since then we haven't had anyone transfer.

Yeah this is a down year for us. It looks like we'll get about 3 loses to top 5 programs. We've got a shot at another final 4 but maybe not 12 in a row is pretty incredible.

haha even you know Geno doesn’t want to show a chink in the armor even if he was going to retire the same season😂 He is going to do it his way. I wouldn’t be worried either if he has made it this long I am sure he is too stubborn to let something that allowed him back three days later to take him out 😂

12 final fours in a row is definitely incredible for sure. The Big East will provide more competition for UConn but I bet the Blue Bloods wish it was like the Big East of old ... i loved big East basketball.

Last thing I will say about Geno is I know he lost time recruiting while he was the USAB coach but let’s be serious having that feather in his cap definitely helped him some as well 😃

Regardless that’s enough UConn y’all for me I am starting to get itchy LOL ... Have a good season (just not too good 😂)

Reactions: mcannon1 and Will83
They are obviously vulnerable this year which is why all the sour grapes about Westbrook not being allowed to play. But I think they will be much stronger next year. Beuckers is a star.

We weren’t worried about Pat either and then look what happened. Just appreciate him while you have him. Nothing is promised.

According to ESPN former North Carolina women's basketball head coach Silvia Hatchell has been charged in a pedestrian accident that killed an elderly woman

Former ETSU player Erica Haynes-Overton transfers to Kansas. She will have one year of eligibility left starting in the spring semester of 2021.

Folks keep talking about how good Oregon is... but they haven't beaten a ranked team yet this year, lost to Louisville, and now to an unranked Arizona State.

I think it tells you how important Maite Cazorla was. She made the right play almost every time and she knew just when to call her own number.

And what did Baylor have? I didn't see much quality there.

Baylor 28 minutes, 7 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
UConn 28 minutes, 3 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal

Baylor didn't win because their bench was better.

Just stop. UConn doesn't even have a deep starting 5. They have 4 great players, that's it. And when one of them craps their pants, like ONO did in this one, Geno has no one available to pick up the slack. As a result you have 3 players doing 95% of the scoring, and a 16 point loss...

Lady Bears beat Drake with a last second 3 by Sydney Manning!

A heavyweight fight throughout the entire game between the 2 favorites of the MVC.

Lady Bears were down 7 with 2 minutes to go and clawed their way back to win 69-67.

Win keeps alive top 16 seed chances and moves MO State to #1 in the RPI.

Lady Bears beat Drake with a last second 3 by Sydney Manning!

A heavyweight fight throughout the entire game between the 2 favorites of the MVC.

Lady Bears were down 7 with 2 minutes to go and clawed their way back to win 69-67.

Win keeps alive top 16 seed chances and moves MO State to #1 in the RPI.

Is it safe to say Kellie left that program better than how she found it? I am not discrediting the new coach at all... just curious as to if you can see some of the remainders of Harper’s teams?

Reactions: lvocd
Just stop. UConn doesn't even have a deep starting 5. They have 4 great players, that's it. And when one of them craps their pants, like ONO did in this one, Geno has no one available to pick up the slack. As a result you have 3 players doing 95% of the scoring, and a 16 point loss...

Baylor had thre players do 85% of their scoring.

I never said UConn was deep. Just that Baylor didn’t go deep in this game either.

Is it safe to say Kellie left that program better than how she found it? I am not discrediting the new coach at all... just curious as to if you can see some of the remainders of Harper’s teams?

Hard to answer really. If HCKH was still here do I think we'd be 13-2 and #18/19 in the country? No, I don't.

But I think we would've been MVC preseason favorites and preseason top 25 and had players chosen for All-MVC Preseason. I think we'd be looking good for years to come.

We are a different team under Coach Mox. We will obviously know more in 2-3 years but a lot has to be said for picking up where Harper left off.

VN Store

Back