Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Tennessee routinely had 5-6+ AAs was when Holly was mis-coaching them, and they were consistently losing to Alabama. The last time Tennessee had a real coach, they brought in back-to-back monster recruiting class with Bjorklund's class and Shekinna's class...and they had some transfers and probably would have had more if not for some unfortunate injuries.

In the years I've been watching WCBB, I have never seen a team as stacked as UConn and SC will be next season.
I think SC will be stacked next year in their junior and freshman classes. This year, they could be hard pressed to repeat last year. They lost 30% of their scoring and 43% of their assists and I don't see where they can make it up. They added Littleton and #43 Russell. The big key is the missing 43% assists because Boston needs someone to get her the ball and their 2 point guards barely average a 1-1 ato ratio. This year they'll be good but I think they will lose a few more games than last year.

Are you saying he scheduled softly on purpose to be able to get more wins than Pat?

I'll buy that their schedule had plenty of cream puffs in those years but really? He did it to be able to beat Pat?
The soft schedule in the mid 90's wasn't Geno's fault. None of the established teams would play UConn during those years. ESPN wanted to put on the first big women's basketball game in January 1995. They wanted an ACC team to play at UConn. No one in the ACC was willing to play. Not Duke, Not UNC, none of them. Finally they contacted Pat. Pat realized the big TV exposure was good for the game and always said she will play anyone anywhere. She stepped up and that game was a turning point for WBB. One thing most of us don't realize is that probably UConn wouldn't be UConn if it wasn't for Pat.

I think SC will be stacked next year in their junior and freshman classes. This year, they could be hard pressed to repeat last year. They lost 30% of their scoring and 43% of their assists and I don't see where they can make it up. They added Littleton and #43 Russell. The big key is the missing 43% assists because Boston needs someone to get her the ball and their 2 point guards barely average a 1-1 ato ratio. This year they'll be good but I think they will lose a few more games than last year.
Henderson and Cooke were both the #1 PG in their respective classes. Maybe not as good as Harris, but both are more explosive scorers and I'm sure that either will be fine as primary ball handler for the team. Henderson in particular is a good playmaker who last season racked up turnovers late in games during garbage minutes trying to set up the end of bench for Rudy points.

SC has holes, but they have fewer holes than the other teams. UConn doesn't even have an experienced PG on the roster, and still has a thin post game that is overly reliant on freshmen, Baylor lost major pieces, and Oregon had a complete overhaul. They are clearly #1 going into the season until proven otherwise. MSST is really the only team that can challenge them in the SEC (longshot), and I don't see them with more than 2 losses going into the NCAAT.

Reactions: djtee
Henderson and Cooke were both the #1 PG in their respective classes. Maybe not as good as Harris, but both are more explosive scorers and I'm sure that either will be fine as primary ball handler for the team. Henderson in particular is a good playmaker who last season racked up turnovers late in games during garbage minutes trying to set up the end of bench for Rudy points.

SC has holes, but they have fewer holes than the other teams. UConn doesn't even have an experienced PG on the roster, and still has a thin post game that is overly reliant on freshmen, Baylor lost major pieces, and Oregon had a complete overhaul. They are clearly #1 going into the season until proven otherwise. MSST is really the only team that can challenge them in the SEC (longshot), and I don't see them with more than 2 losses going into the NCAAT.
Henderson and Cooke combined for 152 assists to 117 turnovers. Harris was 183-67. I'm not at all saying SC is not going to be good. I fully expect them to win the SEC and be a final four team. But I don't think they are the juggernaut last years team was. UConn is reliant on freshmen, but not more than SC was last year. Besides two of the UConn freshmen have international experience beyond the normal. Aaliyah has been playing with Canadian National Women's team since she was 17. Nika Muhl is already being considered one of the best passers to come to UConn led the Croatian pro league with 8.5 assist per game. Uconn also does have some experience in a point guard who averaged 14.9 points, 5.25 assists, and 3.6 rebounds in the sec. But she's expected to play more on the wing.

Henderson and Cooke combined for 152 assists to 117 turnovers. Harris was 183-67. I'm not at all saying SC is not going to be good. I fully expect them to win the SEC and be a final four team. But I don't think they are the juggernaut last years team was. UConn is reliant on freshmen, but not more than SC was last year. Besides two of the UConn freshmen have international experience beyond the normal. Aaliyah has been playing with Canadian National Women's team since she was 17. Nika Muhl is already being considered one of the best passers to come to UConn led the Croatian pro league with 8.5 assist per game. Uconn also does have some experience in a point guard who averaged 14.9 points, 5.25 assists, and 3.6 rebounds in the sec. But she's expected to play more on the wing.

SC wasn’t heavily reliant on freshman last year it just so happen that our freshmen had more chemistry with our seniors so they started the games. SC had 3 starters on the bench last year that could start for just about any other program in the country hence why they had the best bench. How is UConn not reliant on freshman but have 6 coming in and 3 of which we keep hearing expected to play a lot? That sounds reliant to me. I hear a lot of talk about how the international players have a lot of experience and how they've played on national teams but wasn’t the same said for Murkarat ? I don’t think she would’ve made a head turn had she been playing in a power 5 conference last season. I think the two international UConn freshmen will be good but I seriously think everyone is stretching it on how good and how early. JMO

SC wasn’t heavily reliant on freshman last year it just so happen that our freshmen had more chemistry with our seniors so they started the games. SC had 3 starters on the bench last year that could start for just about any other program in the country hence why they had the best bench. How is UConn not reliant on freshman but have 6 coming in and 3 of which we keep hearing expected to play a lot? That sounds reliant to me. I hear a lot of talk about how the international players have a lot of experience and how they've played on national teams but wasn’t the same said for Murkarat ? I don’t think she would’ve made a head turn had she been playing in a power 5 conference last season. I think the two international UConn freshmen will be good but I seriously think everyone is stretching it on how good and how early. JMO
To the point of my comments. So you think SC will win the SEC? I already said I do think that. So you think SC will be a Final Four team? I already said I do too. All I am saying is that last year's team was a juggernaut and this years team will only be one of the best. You may argue this year's team will dominate like last year's team. It may, but looking at the roster, I don't think so. I think Harris and H-H were very important to the team. Specially Harris getting the ball to Boston. We will see. Regarding my comments about the UConn freshmen. About Makurat, she started slowly going '0 for America' and ended up at 41% on 57 makes the season. The closest number of makes by ANY SC player was Cooke at 40. You can only think seriously about the two international freshmen if you have investigated their capabilities. So please don't think I have maligned your team. I live in SC. I follow the team regularly. I happen to think I know much more about the SC team than you do about UConn. So, once again the negative I said about your team is that will be very good, but last year was better. Feel free to argue with that all you want.

To the point of my comments. So you think SC will win the SEC? I already said I do think that. So you think SC will be a Final Four team? I already said I do too. All I am saying is that last year's team was a juggernaut and this years team will only be one of the best. You may argue this year's team will dominate like last year's team. It may, but looking at the roster, I don't think so. I think Harris and H-H were very important to the team. Specially Harris getting the ball to Boston. We will see. Regarding my comments about the UConn freshmen. About Makurat, she started slowly going '0 for America' and ended up at 41% on 57 makes the season. The closest number of makes by ANY SC player was Cooke at 40. You can only think seriously about the two international freshmen if you have investigated their capabilities. So please don't think I have maligned your team. I live in SC. I follow the team regularly. I happen to think I know much more about the SC team than you do about UConn. So, once again the negative I said about your team is that will be very good, but last year was better. Feel free to argue with that all you want.

It wasn’t what you said but more so implied that neither Cooke nor Henderson were capable of being good point guards. My argument wasn’t to whether SC would be as good as they were last year but rather how you expressed how UConn has so many positives and little negatives. Cooke without a doubt would’ve probably averaged near 20 ppg and no doubt make much more threes had she been playing in the American. It’s not even close how much tougher the competition is in the power 5 conferences. I’ve actually seen Edwards play on numerous occasions in multiple different settings and Muhl has game tapes that only show positives none of the negatives. I didn’t sense and ill will or hatred from your post I just felt that in reading it you were lenient towards UConn and what they’re bringing rather than what they lost as well in retrospect to SC.

Reactions: NeedOrange
lol yeah I know a hater when I see one
No hater. Just a realist. Several reasons why your comment was ridiculous.

1. There were games against AAC caliber teams and even worse where she scored in single digits. Appalachian State, USC Upstate, Clemson, Washington State, Temple.

2. She would either have to shoot more, play more minutes or shoot better in those fantasy AAC games. Maybe a little better shooting percentage but even that is questionable.

No, not a hater, just a logical.

On the other hand, you are a huge homer. That’s ok, I am the same with Rutgers.

Reactions: SCspur

Also let`s not for get about 6-2 Victaria Saxton she is a baller and is very hard to keep her off the glass. I don`t see any of our wing players keeping her of the glass. Note player to watch is 6-1 fr Sg Eniya Russell she can flat out play.

VN Store

Back