Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Those coming in and some who are there will have to take a back seat to Mir. She is evidently better than you think.

We'll see. If anything, this just says how strong a team that UConn is fielding for the next 2 years if we're talking about a player like McLean that might have a hard time cracking the rotation.

Reactions: lfvol and SCspur
This ought to fire someone up...LOL

Not going to lie, that's one of the more offensive things I've seen posted on VolNation. I'm not going to report it but if I were a board moderator I'd probably give you a warning and assign you homework writing an essay on one of the Tennessee national championship teams.

Of course not every players makes the WNBA, however....

SCHOOL PLAYERS
UConn. 16
Norte Dame 9
Tennessee 6
Rutgers 6
Maryland 6
Duke 6
Baylor 5

Note that Rutgers has 6!!!
Tennessee has 7 alums in the WNBA

Candace Parker
Glory Johnson
Shekinna Striklen
Diamond Deshields
Isabella Harrison
Mercedes Russell
Cierra Burdick

Reactions: Only1COJ
Quite an omission.

Aja Wilson
Kaela Davis
Alaina Coates
Tiffany Mitchell
Allisha Gray
Tyasha Harris
Mikiah Herbert
sadly it will only be 5 I dont see Kaela Davis or Coates making a roster next season....both were waived and brought back because of opt outs but barely contributed anything

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Of course not every players makes the WNBA, however....

SCHOOL PLAYERS
UConn. 16
Norte Dame 9
Tennessee 6
Rutgers 6
Maryland 6
Duke 6
Baylor 5

Note that Rutgers has 6!!!

speaking of Rutgers I am an Atlanta Dream fan and I was really impressed with Betnijah Laney's breakout season the WNBA hasnt been kind to her since she got drafted in the 2nd round in '17..... injuries and being bounced around from team to team

winning MIP and All-Defense 1st team this season......Atlanta will have to cut her nice paycheck this offseason she is a UFA and im sure the front office will do anything to keep her.

point being Coach Stringers kids are TOUGH!!!

So that would likely be Bueckers, Williams, Westbrook, Griffin, ONO as starters, and Makurat/Edwards off the bench?

Poor Mir McLean. She should start filling out transfer applications ASAP. It will only get worse for her next year with Ducherme, Poffenberger, Deberry and maybe Fudd joining the team as well. Barring a mass exodus or bunch of injuries, I see no way that she sees the court for more than a handful of mop-up minutes.
I don't see Westbrook starting in the last half of the conference schedule. Aaliyah Edwards will start from almost the beginning of the year and is more important than Paige to the overall structure. Only experience gives Evina an edge on Bueckers or Muhl. I think that once off the point Evina won't be able to move Williams or Makurat off the wings but will garner 20 minutes or so in a 2/3 rotation. Griffin's minutes will come as a super sub/ disrupter. Geno has stated that Mir is probably the best athlete to play at UConn and that's hard for me to swallow after watching Gabby Williams. Mir's minutes will depend on if she can play defense. Expect 9 players to play double digit minutes, specially against the weaker teams on the schedule.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
sadly it will only be 5 I dont see Kaela Davis or Coates making a roster next season....both were waived and brought back because of opt outs but barely contributed anything
I think that will be true for a lot of players, particularly the ones in situations like Kaela/Alaina (and Cierra Burdick for that matter).

It will be interesting to see what happens with breakout players like the two Rutgers girls (Laney, Copper), Hines-Allen, Te'a Cooper, etc... who were fringe players that had very strong seasons. Cooper and Laney were both waived before the season began, but came back as major contributors. I think the other impact is that it will be very, very hard for the class of 21 players to make rosters, and we can see a lot of 1st round picks that end up not getting signed...especially given how strong last year's draft was and how weak this year's is projected to be.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Kara just continues to impress! I may be jumping the gun by saying this, but depending on how Duke does this season, she could easily be looking at a top five recruiting class for 2022.

Nah, some on the board tell us you can’t recruit well for several years after you show you can coach up lesser talent. So, to expect good talent without even a full recruiting cycle isn’t possible I guess:)

Tennessee has 7 alums in the WNBA

Candace Parker
Glory Johnson
Shekinna Striklen
Diamond Deshields
Isabella Harrison
Mercedes Russell
Cierra Burdick

Without looking them up, at least four were top three players coming in. I’m pretty sure all but Burdick and Harrison were top ten. And it’s not like Burdick and Harrison were not relatively highly regarded. So much for college coaching making pros unless they come in with major talent.

Without looking them up, at least four were top three players coming in. I’m pretty sure all but Burdick and Harrison were top ten. And it’s not like Burdick and Harrison were not relatively highly regarded. So much for college coaching making pros unless they come in with major talent.

Burdick was #3 in her class.

For your last sentence, 2/3 of the 2020 WNBA first round picks (#2 Sabally, #5 Bella Alarie, #6 Herbert Harrigan, #7 Harris, #8 Hebard, #10 Willoughby, #11 Laksa, #12 Jones) weren't top 20 Hoopgurlz players nor McD AAs (Harris at #28, Sabally at #37 and Hebard at #40 were the only ones in the top 40)

Last edited:
Burdick was #3 in her class.

For your last sentence, 2/3 of the 2020 WNBA first round picks (#2 Sabally, #5 Bella Alarie, #6 Herbert Harrigan, #7 Harris, #8 Hebard, #10 Willoughby, #11 Laksa, #12 Jones) weren't top 20 Hoopgurlz players nor McD AAs (Harris at #28, Sabally at #37 and Hebard at #40 were the only ones in the top 40)

Thanks, the draft is speculative. TN has seven players in the league. 5 of them were top three recruits coming into college. Think about that. And 6 of seven were top ten coming into college. That is the point I was making.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back