Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

From what gathered is really has nothing to do with a falling out with the coaching staff but circumstances and playing time. DeCosta was transitioning from being a post player to the perimeter. She got a late start last season due to injury and thus didn't get that much game time. When you are transitioning you need game time to get experience, but due to her lack of experience Baylor just has too many players at the wing/guard positions for her to get the time that she needs to catch up. Whatever team she picks will probably need to have a spot for her at those positions. She certainly would not want to go to a team that would put her in the post because of need.

From what I heard on the Baylor site is that the four remaining players from the frosh class of last year were all suspended for a number of games for some reason. Probably something they all did together. That might have also influenced DeCosta's desire to transfer because she probably didn't want to miss important early games two seasons in a row.
Yep:

Baylor WBB website, 25 Oct 2019

8 player rotation with Mulkey keeping sophomores NaLyssa Smith, Queen Egbo, Aquira DeCosta & Caitlin Bickle on the bench
The Lady Bears coach wouldn't specify the reason, but simply explained, "they know what it is."

Right now the lady vols are losing the recruiting war.

Have to win ballgames to win that war. The way Arkansas played in the SEC tournament to end the season no doubt boosted them in the eyes of recruits. Us? Not so much. They have a new coach on the rise, could easily be us next season.

Elauna reminds me a lot of Kelsey Plum with that sweet lefty stroke.

Have to win ballgames to win that war. The way Arkansas played in the SEC tournament to end the season no doubt boosted them in the eyes of recruits. Us? Not so much. They have a new coach on the rise, could easily be us next season.

Elauna reminds me a lot of Kelsey Plum with that sweet lefty stroke.

Yes Plum and correct must win games.

Reactions: VolBall09
Didn’t see it mentioned but Anastasia Hayes was granted a waiver to play for MTSU. She got the waiver to play in the fall instead of having to sit out til after first semester in her exhibition game she scored 14 points (on 4 of 16 shooting, 0-3 3%, and 6-10 from free throw line) .

It’s weird Mimi Collins was said to be denied and then I guess it was stated that MD didn’t apply? I don’t know why they wouldn’t apply?

No mention of Evina yet. The Annie situation makes me think she might get approved while the whole Mimi thing if they did apply might make me think other wise.

Good luck to them all on their future endeavors.

Didn’t see it mentioned but Anastasia Hayes was granted a waiver to play for MTSU. She got the waiver to play in the fall instead of having to sit out til after first semester in her exhibition game she scored 14 points (on 4 of 16 shooting, 0-3 3%, and 6-10 from free throw line) .

It’s weird Mimi Collins was said to be denied and then I guess it was stated that MD didn’t apply? I don’t know why they wouldn’t apply?

No mention of Evina yet. The Annie situation makes me think she might get approved while the whole Mimi thing if they did apply might make me think other wise.

Good luck to them all on their future endeavors.
I see Annie is still Annie...

South Carolina's Destiny Littleton denied waiver to play immediately
2:04 PM ET
  • Associated Press
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The NCAA has turned down South Carolina's request for a waiver to make Texas transfer Destiny Littleton immediately eligible to play for the Gamecocks.
South Carolina coach Dawn Staley said the NCAA also denied the school's appeal after the initial decision and that Littleton was "devastated" by the decision.
Littleton will practice with the team this season and have two years left to play with the Gamecocks.
The 5-foot-9 guard from San Diego was a McDonald's All American in high school. She played 33 games for Texas a year ago, averaging 8.4 points and shooting 32.3% from 3-point range.
Staley had hoped Littleton could add some experience to a team with six newcomers.
The eighth-ranked Gamecocks open the season Tuesday night against Alabama State.

South Carolina's Destiny Littleton denied waiver to play immediately
2:04 PM ET
  • Associated Press
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The NCAA has turned down South Carolina's request for a waiver to make Texas transfer Destiny Littleton immediately eligible to play for the Gamecocks.
South Carolina coach Dawn Staley said the NCAA also denied the school's appeal after the initial decision and that Littleton was "devastated" by the decision.
Littleton will practice with the team this season and have two years left to play with the Gamecocks.
The 5-foot-9 guard from San Diego was a McDonald's All American in high school. She played 33 games for Texas a year ago, averaging 8.4 points and shooting 32.3% from 3-point range.
Staley had hoped Littleton could add some experience to a team with six newcomers.
The eighth-ranked Gamecocks open the season Tuesday night against Alabama State.

Why would she get to play and not sit out? Did she leave on her own? I still think Westbrook will get to play this year.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Why would she get to play and not sit out? Did she leave on her own? I still think Westbrook will get to play this year.

No clue.... it seems like it’s a 50/50 chance I would say with Westbrook wouldn’t be surprised either way. Westbrook wasn’t forced to leave but there was a coaching change. Annie was forced to leave by the school but still got a waiver.

No clue.... it seems like it’s a 50/50 chance I would say with Westbrook wouldn’t be surprised either way. Westbrook wasn’t forced to leave but there was a coaching change. Annie was forced to leave by the school but still got a waiver.

Geno will get it done! The powers to be like keeping Uconn in play for championships.JMO

Yeah, forced to leave by her own behavior, which makes the waiver inexplicable to me.

Reactions: travis929

VN Store

Back