Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Darius Rucker lives in Nashville!

Although, I agree Darius Rucker allowing the South Carolina fans to use inappropriate language ( concerning Tennessee) at a concert was not a good idea. However, let's take a larger view of the situation. Every concert I have been to...the entertainment tries to develop a connection with the audience. That was all this was.

Darius Rucker is in a consortium with Justin Timberlake to bring MLB to Nashville. If I am not mistaken he has sang the National Anthem at a Nashville Predators game.

Look at Kenny Chesney. There is not a bigger Tennessee fan in America. He has produced two ESPN documentaries one about Condridge Holliway and a second. All extremely postive about Tennessee. He also has had Coach Summitt and the team to his home when they were in a tournament in Virgin Islands. When in Knoxville, Peyton Manning joined Kenny on stage and they sang together and talked about Peyton's exploits in Neyland. Just trying to kill time and build a connection.

Unfortunately, some Tennessee fans dislike Kenny, because at a concert in Gainesville he let Tim Tebow and the Florida Football team on stage with him. They sang the Flordia fight song...that's a no, no, I guess.

Darius Rucker was born in SC. But if he was doing more than trying to pump up the crowd, he would live there. Before Darius did Country and Crossover music he was Hootie of Hootie and the Blowfish. He lived in Miami. Their best song ever was" The Dophins always make me cry." That of course is about the Miami Dophins.

South Carolina has five National Championships (two in basketball, two in baseball and one in track and field). Tennessee has twenty three National Championships ( that is unanimous championships...too many to list)

So tell the chickens to go back to the barnyard and hang another ridiculous banner. At Tennessee, we don't hang banners. Also, I guarantee you, if we stay on the same trajectory we are currently on, Darius' next hit will be " The Gamecocks always make me cry."

Although, I agree Darius Rucker allowing the South Carolina fans to use inappropriate language ( concerning Tennessee) at a concert was not a good idea. However, let's take a larger view of the situation. Every concert I have been to...the entertainment tries to develop a connection with the audience. That was all this was.

Darius Rucker is in a consortium with Justin Timberlake to bring MLB to Nashville. If I am not mistaken he has sang the National Anthem at a Nashville Predators game.

Look at Kenny Chesney. There is not a bigger Tennessee fan in America. He has produced two ESPN documentaries one about Condridge Holliway and a second. All extremely postive about Tennessee. He also has had Coach Summitt and the team to his home when they were in a tournament in Virgin Islands. When in Knoxville, Peyton Manning joined Kenny on stage and they sang together and talked about Peyton's exploits in Neyland. Just trying to kill time and build a connection.

Unfortunately, some Tennessee fans dislike Kenny, because at a concert in Gainesville he let Tim Tebow and the Florida Football team on stage with him. They sang the Flordia fight song...that's a no, no, I guess.

Darius Rucker was born in SC. But if he was doing more than trying to pump up the crowd, he would live there. Before Darius did Country and Crossover music he was Hootie of Hootie and the Blowfish. He lived in Miami. Their best song ever was" The Dophins always make me cry." That of course is about the Miami Dophins.

South Carolina has five National Championships (two in basketball, two in baseball and one in track and field). Tennessee has twenty three National Championships ( that is unanimous championships...too many to list)

So tell the chickens to go back to the barnyard and hang another ridiculous banner. At Tennessee, we don't hang banners. Also, I guarantee you, if we stay on the same trajectory we are currently on, Darius' next hit will be " The Gamecocks always make me cry."
Darius Rucker is a University South Carolina graduate (as was everyone in Hootie and the Blowfish) ...and huge supporter. He lives in Mount Pleasant SC.....he is a Miami Dolphin fan but he is a Gamecock through and through......

Sorry...not sorry. Darius and his sixteen year old son moved to Nashville in 2020 after he and his wife uncoupled. He built a new house and his next door neighbor is Jason Aldeen. Darius said " i came here for the golf... found out I love it here and decided not to leave." He invested in a sports agency. Reduced touring from 100 events a year to 30. Agreed to sign with a consortium of backers including Justin Timberlake to bring MLB to Nashville.

He may have a house in SC, but trust me, he doesn't live in it. As far as graduating from South Carolina... didn't everybody.

I did have one error in the last post. The hit song was 'I only want to be with you" with a tagline "The Dophines always make me cry."

Reactions: Lucy
Sorry...not sorry. Darius and his sixteen year old son moved to Nashville in 2020 after he and his wife uncoupled. He built a new house and his next door neighbor is Jason Aldeen. Darius said " i came here for the golf... found out I love it here and decided not to leave." He invested in a sports agency. Reduced touring from 100 events a year to 30. Agreed to sign with a consortium of backers including Justin Timberlake to bring MLB to Nashville.

He may have a house in SC, but trust me, he doesn't live in it. As far as graduating from South Carolina... didn't everybody.

I did have one error in the last post. The hit song was 'I only want to be with you" with a tagline "The Dophines always make me cry."
You may be right I haven't followed Darius' career. I graduated from South Carolina but my sister graduated from Tennessee (so not everybody) which was the reason I joined Volnation in 2008. She follows football but is not into the other sports programs with her alma mater.....I follow them all.....including the Tennessee ones she doesn't.

Reactions: GameTime
I knew Darius when he and the Blowfish were starting out playing one nighters at Rock-a-Fellows in 5 Points. He and his group rented a house on my street in Shandon and there was a party there every night. Columbia even has a street named for him. Darius is one of a few who crossed over into country in a big way. A few years ago he won the CMA award for best new performer. I saw him a couple of years ago on stage at the Opry wearing his gamecock hat. I don't know if he has a place here in Columbia but I wouldn't be surprised as he spends a lot of time here.

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
I knew Darius when he and the Blowfish were starting out playing one nighters at Rock-a-Fellows in 5 Points. He and his group rented a house on my street in Shandon and there was a party there every night. Columbia even has a street named for him. Darius is one of a few who crossed over into country in a big way. A few years ago he won the CMA award for best new performer. I saw him a couple of years ago at the Opry. I don't know if he has a place here in Columbia but I wouldn't be surprised as he spends a lot of time here.

View attachment 451143

🤮

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I knew Darius when he and the Blowfish were starting out playing one nighters at Rock-a-Fellows in 5 Points. He and his group rented a house on my street in Shandon and there was a party there every night. Columbia even has a street named for him. Darius is one of a few who crossed over into country in a big way. A few years ago he won the CMA award for best new performer. I saw him a couple of years ago on stage at the Opry wearing his gamecock hat. I don't know if he has a place here in Columbia but I wouldn't be surprised as he spends a lot of time here.

View attachment 451143
Sorry…..zzzzzzzzzzz

Be surprised, he’s here in Nashville playing a lot of golf. I hope I run into him week after next at the women’s ncaa golf regional here.
View attachment 451143

Damn, I like that guy....Good music.
I'll turn a cheek this time...
Hootie-and-the-Blowfish-1.jpg

I think the Kenny Chesney thing was not just Florida, but also him wearing the Alabama jersey for a show in Alabama, and yes other schools, but to see him pandering to Tennessee's two biggest rivals, it had the appearance of him being a fake, or pandering to any place he's singing at, whatever. And, honestly, being a Tennessee fan, I can't imagine being caught dead wearing a Bammer jersey, I don't care what the reason is. This is the South, and SEC rivalries are supposed to matter. He may be a big huge Tennessee fan, I don't know him, but I don't think the "biggest Tennessee fan in America" would EVER be caught wearing an Alabama jersey. Or sing Florida's fight song. That's just - no. That's a no, dog. I can't even imagine putting on that crimson for a gag. The school that's shoving your supposed favorite team's face in the dirt for years and you're hopping around in their colors? No way.

As for Rucker, I don't understand just giving people passes for stuff like saying "eff Tennessee." If crapping on Tennessee is how he wanted to "build a connection with his audience," he is welcome to stay there. In fact it'd be just swell if he did.

Last edited:
I think the Kenny Chesney thing was not just Florida, but also him wearing the Alabama jersey for a show in Alabama, and yes other schools, but to see him pandering to Tennessee's two biggest rivals, it had the appearance of him being a fake, or pandering to any place he's singing at, whatever. And, honestly, being a Tennessee fan, I can't imagine being caught dead wearing a Bammer jersey, I don't care what the reason is. This is the South, and SEC rivalries are supposed to matter. He may be a big huge Tennessee fan, I don't know him, but I don't think the "biggest Tennessee fan in America" would EVER be caught wearing an Alabama jersey. Or sing Florida's fight song. That's just - no. That's a no, dog. I can't even imagine putting on that crimson for a gag. The school that's shoving your supposed favorite team's face in the dirt for years and you're hopping around in their colors? No way.

As for Rucker, I don't understand just giving people passes for stuff like saying "eff Tennessee." If crapping on Tennessee is how he wanted to "build a connection with his audience," he is welcome to stay there. In fact it'd be just swell if he did.
Yep, I don’t wear red, avoid drinking out of a red cup, and would not buy a red car.
GO BIG ORANGE!!! 😎

Reactions: I4Vols and Voltopia

What is your freaking point? He lives in Nashville because this is the place to be if you want to be involved in country music. Some piece of pseudo hype crap from USC Jr does not change that. Rucker and Timberlake say hello from Troubadour.
I would, however, be glad if he took his sorry has been ass back to SC. Maybe he can get an MLB team for Columbia or Charleston😂😂😂😂

I had the opportunity to see her coach when she was leading Iowa. Jolette Law was her star at the time. Amazing woman and has had an amazing career. She deserves the best life can offer her in retirement.

Her leaving Cheyney State in 1983 was a portent of things to come as the smaller schools couldn’t keep up with the more lucrative programs—even though Cheyney made it to the finals of the first NCAA sanctioned National Championship in 1982. Val Walker was a dynamite player at Cheyney. You got to see Law play alongside two of Stringer’s better players at Iowa in Franthea Price and Shanda Berry.

Her leaving Cheyney State in 1983 was a portent of things to come as the smaller schools couldn’t keep up with the more lucrative programs—even though Cheyney made it to the finals of the first NCAA sanctioned National Championship in 1982. Val Walker was a dynamite player at Cheyney. You got to see Law play alongside two of Stringer’s better players at Iowa in Franthea Price and Shanda Berry.
Wonder if Law has head coaching aspirations?

I truly wish everyone could fully understand just how large a role C.Vivian Stringer played in the progression of women’s college basketball. If there were a Mt. Rushmore of women’s coaches, Stringer would definitely be right there with the other legends of the game.

I have so much respect for Stringer, and it makes me sad to see yet another historically important era end.

Thank you, Coach Stringer, for all you contributed to the game. ❤️

VN Store

Back