No turning this program around.

The last few years Clemson has been recruiting top athletes in the same traditional areas that UT recruits. They have 6 players from TN, 3 from the Knoxville area, and over 20 players from GA. I have know idea what the answer is unless start recruiting more nationwide and reevaluate our coaching at the end of next year.

Reactions: tnvols72
I lived the same crap thru Bear Bryant. UT wasn’t as bad then but everyone had given up on UT ever winning big again. If they get the right people, it can come back. I think Fulmer, without having the market destroyed, can get a good coach. Pruitt isn’t it.

Most here don’t realize how horrible a hire John Currie was but he was radioactive hiring a coach, the #1 job of an AD. Idiot Beverly Davenport hired the worst guy possible for hiring us a good coach. Fulmer took over a complete mess and did the best he could.

It takes 8 or 9 wins and 4-4 in conference to crack the top 25. UT can't "sleep walk" it's way through the SEC and Alabama every year and realistically win 8 or 9 games.
8 or 9 for BAMA would be an emergency, and we would not be hearing, "hang in there, we'll turn it around in 3-5 years....we have young players, and some of our players aren't motivated, but, but, but...".

Tennessee football used to be one of the most important things in my life, but the last 15 years have soured my love for the Vols, I just can't invest the high emotion and caring any more, too painful.
I don't see the Vols being able to overcome their dire straits anytime soon

Reactions: tbh
Take a compass and draw a circle 300 miles around Knoxville. You include East Tenn, all of Middle Tenn (booming area), Charlotte & WNC (UT is kickin ass there), Atlanta & No Georgia. This is a damn good recruiting area not to mention UT has always done well in areas of Florida, So Georgia and Va.

Reactions: PrattvilleVol
I think we have to give Pruitt at least 3 or 4 full years to get his recruits in and his system a chance. A new head coach after 2 years will just add the program's profound instability. It is concerning that the team has regressed from last year, but given the inability to attract a proven head coach, UT doesn't have an alternative.

Reactions: windrider
Abe Lincoln told the story about the mid-eastern potentate who was having a bad time and he told his advisors to come up a saying that would provide comfort in the worst of times. They came back with, "and this too shall pass". I've been a Vol fan longer than most of you have been alive. I truly believe that this too shall pass.

Vols never again will be a top 10 team, too much competition in the SEC for recruiting, kids don't want to live in Knoxville, facilities, coaching, money etc etc. Top 25 sure, playoffs even if expanded to 8, no I doubt it.

Top 25 and competitive week to week is fine by me.
Way to validate being a Goober.

Reactions: windrider
Guys this crap has been on a downward spiral since 2007. 12 years of misery with a few 9 win seasons in there. It's getting worse for our football program. I dont see any way this program is going to be back to where it used to be. I used to love tennessee football and was excited every year for ut to start since I was a kid. From the 80s to now. I never thought we would be down this long. This program is in a very dangerous position right now. But ive become numb to it. When will the misery end?
Your thread title says never.

Vols never again will be a top 10 team, too much competition in the SEC for recruiting, kids don't want to live in Knoxville, facilities, coaching, money etc etc. Top 25 sure, playoffs even if expanded to 8, no I doubt it.

Absolutely not true. It just takes a great coach. I can’t think of any other sport of league where the programs sucess is so dependent on a great head coach as college football. Look around the country. Teams like Wisconsin, tcu, Washington, Michigan state...have all been really good programs in recent years without having top 10 talent. You could even make an argument for Norte dame in that category. They never have too 10 classes. They just have a great coaching staff that have implemented a great system and culture. Tennessee of course has an advantage over all those schools because if we’re winning 9+ games a year we actually can get top 10 talent here. And that’s enough to win big. The question is who on here believes Pruitt is a Gary Patterson or Chris Peterson?

Reactions: PrattvilleVol
Miss St is winnable, if the Vols put a decent game together like the Ga 1st half.
Vandy and UK are awful. USCjr is bipolar. Missouri may be without Kelly from now on. Theres hope, albeit bleack, for a decent finsih to build momentum. Then Pruitt can tell recruits "look we have our longterm QB, a decent OL now, we just need a few playmakers". The D needs a lot of recruiting and development. They're not just a player or 2 away. However, if UT can carry offensive momentum into next season and start actually getting into small shootouts with schools, thats WAY more attractive than a boring blowout.
All that matters is how we finish the gale.a good first half dosent win games

Guys this crap has been on a downward spiral since 2007. 12 years of misery with a few 9 win seasons in there. It's getting worse for our football program. I dont see any way this program is going to be back to where it used to be. I used to love tennessee football and was excited every year for ut to start since I was a kid. From the 80s to now. I never thought we would be down this long. This program is in a very dangerous position right now. But ive become numb to it. When will the misery end?
This has been a comedy of errors and burning mattresses. But not funny at all. We have become the wash redskins of the SEC and thank Gawd we are in the east. The West is much better- A&M may never get to Atlanta. Butch NEVER beat a team from the West and he was better than this back-woods cretin we have now.

I agree. I've said multiple times on here that Johnny's tenure at Tennessee is actually quite overrated and gotten flamed for it, but I think it's true. He has the soft spot he does because of what he did as a player at Tennessee, not a coach, and he had the leash he did for that reason plus he had just won a title at Pitt before coming here. In today's era, he would have never made it beyond 4 seasons.

If it wasn't for the '85 Sugar Vols and Miracle at South Bend, there's basically nothing of note from the Majors era.

I was at UT during the Majors era, and completely agree that he is vastly overrated - we thought he was a bum then. I watched teams with the likes of Reggie White, Reggie McKenzie, Mike Cofer, Anthony Hancock, Johnnie Jones, Tim McGee, Willie Gault, and Bill Bates underachieve every year.

Although, the one other high note during Majors' reign was the 1982 win over #2 Alabama in the Bear's final season. Greatest sporting event I've ever seen live.

Reactions: 05_never_again

I feel that too. My Dad died in August at 91. One less fan who remembers General Neyland's days of excellence. Go ahead, some. Claim it is cyclical. Whatever discipline he instilled in his players and the culture he built is now more myth than memory, and the bar keeps getting lowered. They may quote his maxims, but it is one thing to read them in the locker room, and another to live them on the field. Most of us have seen sustained greatness that the nation respected. Most of those who have are dying off most every day. I feel more likely to see another solar eclipse before we see greatness again from this program. Oh well, they just expanded the nursing school to help address the upcoming shortage. Something to be proud of.

Reactions: tbh
2007? I remember going to a bowl game in Florida and watching Eric Berry almost murder the QB of a highly overrated Wisconsin team. We were 10-4...

Some of these threads are very immature. Some of these fans have never really went through hard times and then came out thankful.

Stupid is as stupid does

Reactions: Raebo
2007? I remember going to a bowl game in Florida and watching Eric Berry almost murder the QB of a highly overrated Wisconsin team. We were 10-4...

The '07 team won the SEC E but they weren't that good. UF and Bama demolished UT cementing that Fulmer would never beat Meyer or Saban. The writing was on the wall.

I remember that Wisconsin game well. That was back when it kicked off at 11AM. We walked into RayJay and the Wisconsin band was doing their pregame show. I've never seen a band that big or loud in my life! Further cementing the NYE hangover. LOL!

Reactions: FLVOL_79

Reactions: C/O and OG.V83

We see you TROLLINNNNN ....
you HATE-INNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnn

You ridin' dirty bruh ... its obvious you dont know bout US

VN Store

Back