No turning this program around.

KKruzVFL

Guys this crap has been on a downward spiral since 2007. 12 years of misery with a few 9 win seasons in there. It's getting worse for our football program. I dont see any way this program is going to be back to where it used to be. I used to love tennessee football and was excited every year for ut to start since I was a kid. From the 80s to now. I never thought we would be down this long. This program is in a very dangerous position right now. But ive become numb to it. When will the misery end?

Guys this crap has been on a downward spiral since 2007. 12 years of misery with a few 9 win seasons in there. It's getting worse for our football program. I dont see any way this program is going to be back to where it used to be. I used to love tennessee football and was excited every year for ut to start since I was a kid. From the 80s to now. I never thought we would be down this long. This program is in a very dangerous position right now. But ive become numb to it. When will the misery end?

You must be a young one. Look back through our history...you know..back before Y2k. We've seen this before. This game is cyclical.

Vols never again will be a top 10 team, too much competition in the SEC for recruiting, kids don't want to live in Knoxville, facilities, coaching, money etc etc. Top 25 sure, playoffs even if expanded to 8, no I doubt it.

Top 25 and competitive week to week is fine by me.

You must be a young one. Look back through our history...you know..back before Y2k. We've seen this before. This game is cyclical.
Im 44. The sec has never been as competitive as it is now. I dont see tennessee ever being able to get back to an elite level. I just dont see it.

Reactions: Catbone
Miss St is winnable, if the Vols put a decent game together like the Ga 1st half.
Vandy and UK are awful. USCjr is bipolar. Missouri may be without Kelly from now on. Theres hope, albeit bleack, for a decent finsih to build momentum. Then Pruitt can tell recruits "look we have our longterm QB, a decent OL now, we just need a few playmakers". The D needs a lot of recruiting and development. They're not just a player or 2 away. However, if UT can carry offensive momentum into next season and start actually getting into small shootouts with schools, thats WAY more attractive than a boring blowout.

I am as down as everyone else is, but we outplayed Georgia the first half of the game. There is talent on this team and more coming (I Hope) to work with. I do however believe that if the staff now can't turn it around, providing the future recruits keep committed, then yes we may never be back to where we once were.

Miss St is winnable, if the Vols put a decent game together like the Ga 1st half.
Vandy and UK are awful. USCjr is bipolar. Missouri may be without Kelly from now on. Theres hope, albeit bleack, for a decent finsih to build momentum. Then Pruitt can tell recruits "look we have our longterm QB, a decent OL now, we just need a few playmakers". The D needs a lot of recruiting and development. They're not just a player or 2 away. However, if UT can carry offensive momentum into next season and start actually getting into small shootouts with schools, thats WAY more attractive than a boring blowout.
If the defense had 2 stud pass rushers it would be top 20 in the country. The d line played the run very well yesterday and the secondary played very well considering that they had to cover for 10 seconds. Warrior might of played his best game yet.

Vols never again will be a top 10 team, too much competition in the SEC for recruiting, kids don't want to live in Knoxville, facilities, coaching, money etc etc. Top 25 sure, playoffs even if expanded to 8, no I doubt it.

I don't know what you mean by facilities, ours are as good as anyone. Money? Do you mean we won't pay players?

Im 44. The sec has never been as competitive as it is now. I dont see tennessee ever being able to get back to an elite level. I just dont see it.
I’m a few years younger than you... I agree to a certain degree but I’m really just hoping for winning football9+ games a year and I’d be excited!

Kids don't want to live in Knoxville but they want to live in Gainesville or Tuscaloosa?

Facilities aren't an issue here

Money isn't an issue

Part of the problem for fans is the impatience from the last 10-12 years. Its understandable, I feel it, we all feel the bad decisions and football. It’s a cumulative effect and we didn’t get here overnight, but the frustration of the last decade gets thrown on the coach in year two if we aren’t world beaters. I get it, I hate losing badly, I hate seeing a team we know isn’t competing for the SEC.

Dooley, not recruiting a single offensive linemen.. spilled over into butchs first two years. Butch, not making the team lift for two years and recruiting undersized linemen who then didn’t go lift and develop... is being felt two years in a row.

My point is that butch recruited well and couldn’t coach well enough to not choke games away, but depth was fixable for him by year 3. We need another class or two of quality linemen to see a team that can compete. It’s my opinion that until we stabilize the roster, and not just signing players.. have them lift and develop with the same staff ,we won’t get any different results.

Feel your pain as I’ve followed my alma mater since 1969. One would think Tennessee has just about everything it needs to be a top 5 to 10 program. I think there a couple or three big things holding them back. One thing they have some control over is SEC scheduling which does them no favors to rebuild having Florida, Georgia and Alabama to play each year. Teams like Georgia have a far easier SEC schedule. They almost never play Bama in the regular season and always get Florida in a neutral field. I think it may help in the future now that the Georgia game will be in November. Another relatively new obstacle is the stiff 25 scholarship rules. The NCAA needs to step up and help programs like UT who are trying to rebuild but face challenges with players leaving via the transfer portal without getting an opportunity to recoup the loss via recruiting. If we lose three players in the portal, that should be three more recruits above the hard 25 limit. One thing Tennessee should have control over is the support and culture In and around the program. I think it’s way past time for the administration, BOT, and our major donors to get behind, promote and support our football team. People close to and in the university with axes to grind against UT football have seemed to get their way for way too long and hurt the program. I really want to believe this has changed. Coach Pruitt certainly hasn’t been hamstrung in how much he can pay new coaches. They could also build some good will with the fans by lowering prices of tickets and concessions. They may get new fans to start coming to the games, and may get the older ones like me to come back.

It will unfortunately take three to four yrs- IF we give Pruitt time. We have three automatic losses each yr- Fl, UGA, Bama. Add Oklahoma for next season .

I’m tired of waiting as well as I am 48 yrs old and graduated from UT in 94. But I’m afraid the success we had in the 90s will not be seen until Bama, UGA, etc have a downward spiral.

They certainly won't do it on the cheap like they've been trying to do the last decade. Under $5 million/year will NOT get you a championship coach. The only possibilities are keep paying what we are and learn to live with mediocrity (and maybe an occasional 9 win season every 5 years), or pay one of the few championship coaches out there the $10 million a year he can get.

If you want to do it on the cheap, the only hope would be Peyton Manning, and he's obviously not proven as a head coach. I'd take that gamble over what we've got now though, if we struck out with Meyer/Stoops/etc.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh

We had the talent in 2015 and 2016 to win it all. The talent has been there it's just been coaching that hasn't

He needs to look back thru the 2 thousand posts on the same subject.
Then he can hit that little like button
And safe himself some time.

From 1981-2000 UT had one losing season. From 2000-2019 UT has had 7 losing seasons, and well on our way to an 8th.
We now hold a losing record to Bama, Auburn, Florida, Missouri, and now you can add UGA. If we had played LSU more often, we'd be behind them, as well. My point is we are no longer an elite SEC Program. We have fallen into middle of the road.
Middle of the road seems like a lofty goal, at this point.
Needless to say, I do not talk **** about football. Not in a long time, now.

From 1981-2000 UT had one losing season. From 2000-2019 UT has had 7 losing seasons, and well on our way to an 8th.
We now hold a losing record to Bama, Auburn, Florida, Missouri, and now you can add UGA. If we had played LSU more often, we'd be behind them, as well. My point is we are no longer an elite SEC Program. We have fallen into middle of the road.
Middle of the road seems like a lofty goal, at this point.
There have been bad stretches in the past, but nothing like this.

List of Tennessee Volunteers football seasons - Wikipedia

VN Store

Back