No Tuna In Subway Tuna?

If I lived in Knoxville, I would only go to places that have steamed sandwiches, no National chains. You can’t get them anywhere else in the country.

When I was in grad school at TnTech back in the 80's, there was a convenience store near campus called The Mouse Trap. Probably for good reason. I used to get Reuben's there and they were steamed. Can't say I've had steamed hoagies anywhere else. Didn't realize it was mostly a Knoxville area thing.

Reactions: MAD
When I was in grad school at TnTech back in the 80's, there was a convenience store near campus called The Mouse Trap. Probably for good reason. I used to get Reuben's there and they were steamed. Can't say I've had steamed hoagies anywhere else. Didn't realize it was mostly a Knoxville area thing.
Here is the history of Knoxville and the steamed sandwiches
“They Like That Soft Bread” — THE BITTER SOUTHERNER

Reactions: Boca Vol and VolnJC
Those steamed sandwich’s just hit differently, reminds me of eating one on the strip before walking to Neyland to see the Vols.

In 2019, my son (my money of course) bought me TN/SC tickets for Father's Day/B-Day/Xmas. Front row where the recruits gather. I said great, I'll introduce you to Gus'. I got my Reuben. It's the only sandwich I've ever ate there. (I will admit the burgers and his sandwich were awful tempting). He got the Philly, which he said was great. The fries make the place too. As well as the signed pic of Gault (4 years apart in HS) by the register that has been in the same spot for several decades now. After the game I asked if he wanted something to eat. "Can we go back down to Gus'." lol. We tried. The line was long down the sidewalk, and Pruitt was in there. So on the way back to the car, I introduced him to 17th Street Market. What a treasure. Everything smoked/grilled out by the side walk, then took inside to the back to finish off when you order. We got some wings, which were dumped in the fryer after smoking, then hit with a healthy dose of Curry powder. Wow! He's been fixing his home done wings like that ever since.

I guess I should have took him back for a sandwich or two. This year I have GA/TN tickets. And don't think I don't know it's because he will make take him to Gus'.

In 2019, my son (my money of course) bought me TN/SC tickets for Father's Day/B-Day/Xmas. Front row where the recruits gather. I said great, I'll introduce you to Gus'. I got my Reuben. It's the only sandwich I've ever ate there. (I will admit the burgers and his sandwich were awful tempting). He got the Philly, which he said was great. The fries make the place too. As well as the signed pic of Gault (4 years apart in HS) by the register that has been in the same spot for several decades now. After the game I asked if he wanted something to eat. "Can we go back down to Gus'." lol. We tried. The line was long down the sidewalk, and Pruitt was in there. So on the way back to the car, I introduced him to 17th Street Market. What a treasure. Everything smoked/grilled out by the side walk, then took inside to the back to finish off when you order. We got some wings, which were dumped in the fryer after smoking, then hit with a healthy dose of Curry powder. Wow! He's been fixing his home done wings like that ever since.

I guess I should have took him back for a sandwich or two. This year I have GA/TN tickets. And don't think I don't know it's because he will make take him to Gus'.
Great story, making me homesick.

Here is the history of Knoxville and the steamed sandwiches
“They Like That Soft Bread” — THE BITTER SOUTHERNER

Great read. It's not a hoagie but another childhood memory of mine is somewhere on Chapman Hwy. My grandparents lived just off the intersection of John Sevier and Chapman. There was a joint, could have been a market/deli combo, on the southside of Chapman going back toward downtown, kind of up a hill and behind the lower stores in front. Could have been orange painted brick. I'm not aware it's still open, as my last time that way I tried to spot it. But, gramps went there on a mission, and one mission only. Chili and Tamales. Boy did I love the tamales from that joint. And the chili had it's own stamp of approval. Another past time was hitting Kaye's Ice Cream for a treat there on Chapman.

Great story, making me homesick.
I'm a native Georgian. Griffin, south of AMS about 15 miles. My dad is from Cookeville (Jackson County/Cummins Falls). My mom is from Knoxville. So I spent a lot of time growing up in TN. When Gault got recruited to UT, he'd cut out all the KNS articles about and Gault and UT football and save them for me to read when we came up. Thus, in 8th grade, my journey from Bulldog to Vol fandom began. I do still hold regard for UGA. My dad worked for them and retired from them. his only job ever. Peanut Scientist. They fed us and clothed us. And I was a Dooley and Richt fan. But any collegiate wear I have is orange.

Reactions: VolNExile and MAD
I try and make it by Subs and Such in Maryville whenever I'm up there in the area...I'm a fan of their Reuben sub. As far as chains go, I gravitate towards Jimmy John's and Larry's Giant Subs.

For folks in the Marietta, GA area, do yourself a favor and go to Baldino's...my absolute favorite sub sammiches on the planet. They also have a location or two along I-16 (Metter and Savannah), I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and VolnJC
I finally got to try an authentic Philly cheesesteak last time we were up that way...delicious View attachment 376200View attachment 376201
0b193d90a3e134f16b2d49d05f959b09.gif

Reactions: SlipKidVol

I miss the old Sam and Andys and Roman Room. I preferred them over Gus'

Reactions: tntar heel
I miss the old Sam and Andys and Roman Room. I preferred them over Gus'

I've heard of Sam and Andy's. I've also heard of one or two others I can't recall right now that seem to be top Hoagie joints in Knoxville depending on your preference. I've just always been to Gus'. A young preacher that was at a country church by the farm while at TTU years ago went to UT to finish his Masters in Acct. I met him at Gus' one time for lunch to visit while I was in town to see my grandparents (I was college age I suppose). That's how I got into Gus' and just have never been anywhere but there. There may be a couple better places, but it's nostalgic for me, and good enough not to find a replacement.

VN Store

Back