No Need to Worry…

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
I’ve read several discussions about the 2nd half of the South Carolina game where the play calling was too simple & conservative. Here’s why we shouldn’t worry and move on:

Let’s be clear, the only reason why JH called off the dogs early because he was trying to keep from more injuries happening. Remember, we still don’t have enough quality depth. He knew the game was out of reach with no chance of SC coming back.

I don’t expect Heupel to be conservative against Ole Miss if we manage to build a pretty decent lead depending on how the defense is playing.

And it’s been said over & over again that Heupel doesn’t like to use time outs unless it’s absolutely necessary. The Ole Miss defense is pretty bad so there’s no need to give them chances to regroup.

I expect Heupel to keep his foot on the gas for 4 quarters this weekend. The offense should continuing rolling with this up tempo attack.

Last edited:
I’ve read several discussions about the 2nd half of the South Carolina game where the play calling was too simple & conservative. Here’s why we shouldn’t worry and move on:

Let’s be clear, the only reason why JH called off the dogs early because he was trying to keep from more injuries happening. Remember, we still don’t have enough quality depth. He knew the game was out of reach with no chance of SC coming back.

I don’t expect Heupel to be conservative against Ole Miss if we manage to build a pretty decent lead depending on how the defense is playing.

And it’s been said over & over again that Heupel doesn’t like to use time outs unless it’s absolutely necessary. The Ole Miss defense is pretty bad so there’s no need to give them chances to regroup.

I expect Heupel to keep his foot on the gas for 4 quarters this weekend. The offense should continuing rolling with this up tempo attack.
Based off the story that Heupel spoke with Barry Odom prior to the Mizzou game and said he would run the score up if given the chance, I suspect he'll do the same to Kiffin if the game gets out of reach, knowing how much most of the fan base wants to see Lane running from Knoxville with his tail tucked. I hope he hangs a 80 burger on him.

I have a quick question. How does play calling affect injuries or lack thereof? Football is football. You still have to block and tackle. Im not saying anyone is wrong or right. I just dont get it.

He played that game right given the circumstances. It wasn't "fun" but did avoid further injuries.

I have a quick question. How does play calling affect injuries or lack thereof? Football is football. You still have to block and tackle. Im not saying anyone is wrong or right. I just dont get it.
One way is simply less plays... equals less opportunity for injury. If they played 20 offensive plays then that's just less chance for injury than 40 offensive plays. They consumed clock which isn't the ideal mode for CJH's O and especially not at this stage of development. I believe they do that little "sugar huddle" thing so that the time from getting set to snap is about the same when they slow down as when they're running tempo.

You can also call different plays. There are "analytics" showing injury risks relating to plays and blocking schemes.

Slower pace equals less plays, less opportunities to get hurt. Don't think Tillman or Evans played after we slowed down

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1vol
So in other words if you really wanna avoid injuries with a big lead just run the play clock down to one second and down the ball…. However if you run basic plays there is still a chance you bust one to the house.

Whoever has the ball last will win is backwards! They have it last because they have not scored yet and (assuming the other guys did score) will therefore probably lose, not win.

I am concerned that Ole Miss OC knows Heupel’s system and coached with him at UCF. I hope he is not a critical factor in this game.

I do not believe they “called off the dogs.” I believe they tried their best and ultimately did not produce. They didn’t go conservative. They failed to execute or plays were disrupted, and had several 3 and outs which changed momentum and quieted the crowd. Also, USC played better in the second half.

Based off the story that Heupel spoke with Barry Odom prior to the Mizzou game and said he would run the score up if given the chance, I suspect he'll do the same to Kiffin if the game gets out of reach, knowing how much most of the fan base wants to see Lane running from Knoxville with his tail tucked. I hope he hangs a 80 burger on him.

Where was this mentioned? First I've heard of it

They definitely slowed the pace. The first four drives in the second half resulted in punts. And we took over 12 minutes off the clock with those four drives. We only had the ball for 11 minutes the entire first half and scored 38 points. I do think they wanted to and should have ended those second half drives with scores. But it looks like we were running our 4 minutes drills.

Maybe we went conservative, but it’s not like they didn’t want to score in the third quarter. Especially that first drive right out of halftime. I feel like SCs defense is owed some credit for making adjustments out of halftime.
It definitely is, they made good adjustments that's why we had to pick it back up in the 4th to put the nail in the coffin

Reactions: Jauan't Some?

VN Store

Back