No more Kentucky...

Hmmmm, maybe I think 2015 Duke would like a word

?

As I said the game has evolved. Duke was late to react to the one and done style and once they did the it’s become much less
Productive. The game has changed a lot over the last 4-6 years

Talent is talent. A good coach should figure out how to make that talent work period. If we had 4-5 freshmen regularly playing I’d say it’s a fair point especially in a COVID year like but we returned four starters and added two top 35 players and we are still not even top 50 in offensive efficiency. That can’t happen.

This x1000. Barnes unwillingness and/or inability to adjust his offense to his personnel is the biggest issue here. That and the fact that we've done a horrible job recruiting good post players.

Effective Field Goal % year by year

254th
313th
176th
18th
207th
166th

We’ve had one year were we got and hit shots consistently out of Barnes’ offense.

So do you put this more on not running more ball screens or too many mid range jumpers taken?

we damn sure take too many 17 footers

So do you put this more on not running more ball screens or too many mid range jumpers taken?

we damn sure take too many 17 footers

Both. I think Barnes’ is too old school. Will Warren had a great article on this. In 2019 we hit midrange shots at an incredibly high rate (and had Grant) but normally we’ve been average at mid range shots but take a lot of them.

I also think the natural spacing of his offense isn’t good and I think more ball screens with talent Jaden and Keon would fix some issues. We also post up too much but we’ve gone away from that over the last couple of months.

Both. I think Barnes’ is too old school. Will Warren had a great article on this. In 2019 we hit midrange shots at an incredibly high rate (and had Grant) but normally we’ve been average at mid range shots but take a lot of them.

I also think the natural spacing of his offense isn’t good and I think more ball screens with talent Jaden and Keon would fix some issues. We also post up too much but we’ve gone away from that over the last couple of months.

Regarding the midrange this season Keon just isn’t a good 3 pt guy and he takes a bunch of the 17 footers. I bet the math would say just shoot the 3

Regarding the midrange this season Keon just isn’t a good 3 pt guy and he takes a bunch of the 17 footers. I bet the math would say just shoot the 3

And that’s my argument always no matter the team usually. There is just way too many pull up jumpers in this offense. Think of the mid range we ran in 2019. Those were designed usually off a screen in rhythm for Bowden, Admiral and Bone. Bone had a nice pull up game. Plus Grant was really good at catch and shoot midrange. We don’t have any of those types of guys in terms of there catch and shoot ability other than Bailey and maybe Vescovi.

Firmly Disagree. Again show me a team where Fulky, James and Pons know that they have to do and it’s better than this crap

So the freshmen starting has made Fulky inept? I don’t see the correlation. If he’s that mentally weak that he’s so rattled by their presence he can no longer play well, that’s on him.

Fulkerson needs to pick it up for his team. This isn’t about the freshmen starting. They should start. And they should be the focus of the offense. But Fulkerson needs to get his act together.

So the freshmen starting has made Fulky inept? I don’t see the correlation. If he’s that mentally weak that he’s so rattled by their presence he can no longer play well, that’s on him.

Fulkerson needs to pick it up for his team. This isn’t about the freshmen starting. They should start. And they should be the focus of the offense. But Fulkerson needs to get his act together.

has nothing to do with Fulkerson being mentally weak and everything about his role changing as the offense has changed.

Fulky took 45 shots in the first 5 games of the season while Keon/springer took 69 between the two of them.

in the last 5 games Fulky has taken 30 shots while Keon/springer have taken 112.

that’s a stark contrast there

Also one key thing about the last 5 games where we went 2-3. In the 3 losses keon/springer have taken an average of 28 shots. In the 2 wins they took half that (14.5). That right there is exactly my point about freshmen led teams being an issue

Give me talent every time. But this is ridiculous as an argument anyway. The Duke/Kentucky method isn't signing 2 talented freshmen. It's replacing your top 6 players every year with 6 more freshmen. We are no where close to that.

Reactions: The Dog
And another one and done led team goes home to a vastly overmatched TEAM. Go Beavers!

all you guys in this thread proclaiming TALENT TALENT TALENT better understand it doesn’t mean **** when you play a real TEAM!

Reactions: Lurker
Johnson and Springer are the best players on the team but sure.

The problem isn’t them. It’s the fact that from 2017-2019 we only got two decent players from those recruiting classes and we run an outdated offense.

Can someone please explain how the offense is so “outdated”? And further...what would constitute a “modern” offense?

Thank you.

VN Store

Back