No more Kentucky...

That’s because we had a super duper elite post player that the offense ran through in Grant Williams.

Take away the two Grant years where he was SEC player if the year and we are outside top 70 in offensive efficiency every year.

Now to want to argue the team personnel doesn’t match what Barnes actually wants to run then that’s a fair argument. Or Barnes hasn’t made the proper adjustments to fit what he has that’s fair.

I think it’s lazy to say “chemistry” when there isn’t a way to really prove chemistry is the problem.

Fulky is no williams that’s for sure but he was developed nicely and ready to take on that role this year.

Hey I was the first to say it a few weeks back. I’m glad Barnes went Away from running it thru him and that’s our only chance to win in March but that doesn’t change the fact this team sucks right now and isn’t fun to follow.
they could make a final 4 run and it wouldn’t Change my mind. regular season >March imo

Firmly Disagree. Again show me a team where Fulky, James and Pons know that they have to do and it’s better than this crap
I don’t understand this argument. Those three have every opportunity to step up and take over and they don’t do it. Why is this a one and done players fault?

Reactions: 08Vol
Fulky is no williams that’s for sure but he was developed nicely and ready to take on that role this year.

Hey I was the first to say it a few weeks back. I’m glad Barnes went Away from running it thru him and that’s our only chance to win in March but that doesn’t change the fact this team sucks right now and isn’t fun to follow.
they could make a final 4 run and it wouldn’t Change my mind. regular season >March imo

If Barnes modernized the offense and understood this is a ball screen game, I think this team would be in a much better spot even with some roster issues.

I want no part of the Kentucky way again.

hard pass
If not for Springer and Johnson we lose by 20. If anything we needed them to take over earlier and quit trying to get their teammates involved when they weren't up for the game.

If we can find players like Springer and Johnson every year, we better take them.

I don’t understand this argument. Those three have every opportunity to step up and take over and they don’t do it. Why is this a one and done players fault?

The one and dones a great players. They play hard as hell. The rest of the team has fallen into the theory of sitting back and letting them take control. Same issues going on at all of blue bloods now

The one and dones a great players. They play hard as hell. The rest of the team has fallen into the theory of sitting back and letting them take control. Same issues going on at all of blue bloods now
That’s on the vets for allowing it. Especially on this team. There is plenty of opportunity for them to take over.

Reactions: 08Vol and ArdentVol
Johnson and Springer took 31 shots today. 50% of the total
And made almost 60% of our points. I’m
Trying to follow you but without these freshman, we very well could be really bad. But on the other hand I haven’t really thought about our record since both freshman were put in as our starters.

When did the older players start playing badly???

I’ll help you with that. When the one and dones became starters. I think it was BTO that mentioned it might hurt chemistry and it damn sure has. This team has sucked since then and isn’t fun at all to watch
If the older players are such p****** they can’t stand sitting on the bench for a few extra minutes, perhaps they’re the problem?? Or maybe they should just get better? Not playing the best players is just asinine and if the upperclassmen want to pout about it then they should go elsewhere for their final year(s)

No they are. We were 17-14 last year without them let’s not forget.

They are not the problem. The problem is the offensive system and the bad roster management from 2017-2019.

This team would be 17-14 if they played last years schedule too.

Pons- good get
Darrington- Miss
Walker- Miss
Kent- Miss

Burns- Miss

James- good get
ORN- TBD
Gaines- Miss
Pember- Miss

2/8 in getting good players with ORN pending. Then add the three transfers we’ve added during that time (Plavsic, Bailey and Anosike) and we are 3/11 in getting value out of those classes.

There's one from 2016 on the team doing nothing.

Johnson and Springer took 31 shots today. 50% of the total
Guess I just see it different. Each player has had opportunities to step up and lead this team. The freshman took to it, the others haven’t. My bigger concern isn’t one and done players. It’s player development. We just haven’t seen it this year. Hopefully that gets fixed this off-season.

At one time this year Fulky was my favorite player on this team. Now, something has happened he doesn't act like his head i s in the game. Has he had some bad life experiences or health problems ??? He can no longer hit the most simple shots under the basket. Anyone know what his problem is ??????

Johnson and Springer are the best players on the team but sure.

The problem isn’t them. It’s the fact that from 2017-2019 we only got two decent players from those recruiting classes and we run an outdated offense.
My concern is that Barnes won't admit defeat and cut ties with Plavsic, Pember and Anosike. If we lose both Springer and KJ as expected, we'd be able to flip the roster and shore up our glaring weaknesses at the post and getting some much needed shooters. A backup point would be nice...a luxury but still nice. No idea what Pons and Fulkerson will do but I'd welcome both back. Barnes can't sit idle and waste next year with Chandler. He's also likely one and done so we really need to surround him with as many ballers as possible. Yeah...easier said than done and this is UT being discussed. Getting hard to remember the last time things lined up for us and went our way in any sport much less basketball.

My concern is that Barnes won't admit defeat and cut ties with Plavsic, Pember and Anosike. If we lose both Springer and KJ as expected, we'd be able to flip the roster and shore up our glaring weaknesses at the post and getting some much needed shooters. A backup point would be nice...a luxury but still nice. No idea what Pons and Fulkerson will do but I'd welcome both back. Barnes can't sit idle and waste next year with Chandler. He's also likely one and done so we really need to surround him with as many ballers as possible. Yeah...easier said than done and this is UT being discussed. Getting hard to remember the last time things lined up for us and went our way in any sport much less basketball.

Running off Anosike doesn’t create an extra scholarship.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Another thing most here are missing regarding the topic. The topic wasn’t meant to be degrading or to take a shot at Keon or springer. Not at all

the topic was regarding how Barnes handles such teams. The thing no one seems to want to admit was that it’s been widely discussed here that Barnes tenure at Texas went “wrong” when he started realigning too heavily on one and done type players.

The entire reason I started this topic was to point out that the Kentucky way of one of done type rosters doesn’t work for Barnes. It takes players, ESPECIALLY PGs, multiple years to learn how to run his style with high efficiency.

springer and Keon are awesome but it’s becoming clear to me that this team is set up to underachieve with them handling so much of the reigns and that’s Because their coach coaches for the long term and they don’t have that time to figure out what he wants.

Pons- good get
Darrington- Miss
Walker- Miss
Kent- Miss

Burns- Miss

James- good get
ORN- TBD
Gaines- Miss
Pember- Miss

2/8 in getting good players with ORN pending. Then add the three transfers we’ve added during that time (Plavsic, Bailey and Anosike) and we are 3/11 in getting value out of those classes.
ORN Is not pending, need to flip that firmly to a miss too.

Reactions: BreatheUT
That’s because we had a super duper elite post player that the offense ran through in Grant Williams.

Take away the two Grant years where he was SEC player if the year and we are outside top 70 in offensive efficiency every year.

Now to want to argue the team personnel doesn’t match what Barnes actually wants to run then that’s a fair argument. Or Barnes hasn’t made the proper adjustments to fit what he has that’s fair.

I think it’s lazy to say “chemistry” when there isn’t a way to really prove chemistry is the problem.
I’d say there is a chemistry issue when there is not one player who wants to stand up and be a leader. Even if some players don’t posses that typical type of personality. if you care about your teammates someone has to take charge and hold accountability. Not saying that the offensive style doesn’t suck too, because it clearly does

When did the older players start playing badly???

I’ll help you with that. When the one and dones became starters. I think it was BTO that mentioned it might hurt chemistry and it damn sure has. This team has sucked since then and isn’t fun at all to watch
Well you sure as hell can’t have your 2 best players coming off the bench either.

Pons- good get
Darrington- Miss
Walker- Miss
Kent- Miss

Burns- Miss

James- good get
ORN- TBD
Gaines- Miss
Pember- Miss

Why no Vescovi?

VN Store

Back