'19 NJ ILB Juwan Mitchell (Texas Transfer) [Tennessee commit]

I have no problem accepting Mitchell's move may be a fresh opportunity for him and us because of changes that might negatively effect his playing time at Texas. Happens all the time everywhere there is a staff/scheme change in CFB and the pros.

I'm just glad we got a quality football player at a position of need who will obviously fit our new scheme. FWIW folks, that he has not played well in coverage is not new to any ILB. Watch HT's performance last season. That's not the primary duty in the 4-2-5/3-3-5 for an ILB anyway. His primary job will be to stuff the run and rush the passer. When he drops for coverage it will be into a zone for underneath routes much of the time.

The beauty of this is with Banks on the field they will have two bullets to fire when pass rushing. The opposing O-lines will never be quite sure which one is coming or if it will be both. Which happens a lot with Banks as well as Heup's D's in their past. It was Micah Parsons most of the time at PSU because he is a freak athlete they could line up anywhere. It was multiple guys with Heup's D at UCF.
Confused. Keep seeing that we need 2 inside linebackers. But then everyone posts 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. Is that not 2 or 3 LBs playing? We don't need 4 with 2 inside there do we?

Reactions: Vols4us
Confused. Keep seeing that we need 2 inside linebackers. But then everyone posts 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. Is that not 2 or 3 LBs playing? We don't need 4 with 2 inside there do we?
I feel that our starters are fine at each position..... could use more depth though...... if some of these young players grow up then we don’t need nearly as much depth as most feel that we do at this time.

You need 3 deep everywhere to compete in the SEC, we are 1 deep at ILB

I feel that our starters are fine at each position..... could use more depth though...... if some of these young players grow up then we don’t need nearly as much depth as most feel that we do at this time.
Yeah, the freakout is coming from basing what will happen on what happened. Maybe players will finally recieve coaching and develop to their full potential.

BOOM!

iu

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
Solon Page is the first man up after the ones, do you feel good about that?
Depends doesn't it? Does he have talent the last staff didn't tap? Can this staff coach him up? Is this system more favorable to whatever talent he has?

I'm not writing anyone "in"... but you can't write anyone off yet either.

Solon Page is the first man up after the ones, do you feel good about that?
So after banks and Mitchell you think page is the next guy? I guess Willis and Joseph don’t exist. Like a previous poster said, unproven entities. But Willis and Joseph are definitely ahead of Page. Page and Garland got PT in OW game. They aren’t close to being the starters or 2nd string

So after banks and Mitchell you think page is the next guy? I guess Willis and Joseph don’t exist. Like a previous poster said, unproven entities. But Willis and Joseph are definitely ahead of Page. Page and Garland got PT in OW game. They aren’t close to being the starters or 2nd string
Neither participated in the spring. Garland and Page may or may not have talent that the last staff didn't develop. They DO have a head start in this staff's system.

Willis btw is not guaranteed to "exist". Also Beasley will play into this if he survives.

Neither participated in the spring. Garland and Page may or may not have talent that the last staff didn't develop. They DO have a head start in this staff's system.

Willis btw is not guaranteed to "exist". Also Beasley will play into this if he survives.
I liked Beasley as a player. Not gonna lie though, anyone who mutilates a kitten..I don’t really want to be cheering for in the fall. That’s pretty sick. I know all sins are the same but dang

I liked Beasley as a player. Not gonna lie though, anyone who mutilates a kitten..I don’t really want to be cheering for in the fall. That’s pretty sick. I know all sins are the same but dang
I had this debate on the original thread but I don't see that as an unpardonable transgression unless he has some kind of history. I know it tugs at the heart strings but he's a human being and the kitten is an animal. He is more valuable than the cat... again assuming he's worth the effort to redeem.

Reactions: ACvol3
I had this debate on the original thread but I don't see that as an unpardonable transgression unless he has some kind of history. I know it tugs at the heart strings but he's a human being and the kitten is an animal. He is more valuable than the cat... again assuming he's worth the effort to redeem.
Are you really excusing animal abuse so we get an extra player on the team. Dudes a psychopath. Glad he is gone

-Callahan

This is a good summary of Mitchell. "Pretty solid," gets exploited in coverage. Slants may continue to be a problem for us this year.

Just FYI on Mitchel.. He was the 2nd best LB on a team that had seen a revolving door at LB coach and DC his time on campus. As it sits right now, hes an OK 3rd piece on a 3 LB scheme, but he has some holes in his game.

He doesn't play smart at times and will also get torched in coverage. Lots of tackles last year but whiffed or wasnt where he was supposed to be on many big plays as well. Combine that with his friction and attitude with the Herman regime and the UT administration (and it is rumored there were issues as well with Sark and the new staff as well) and he saw the writing on the wall. He was also held out of Spring practices (before he joined the portal) to focus on his academics, which has been and on again off again concern with him. There is a reason why Texas has accepted 3 grad transfer LBs (and a 4th and potentially a 5th free COVID transfer) and may consider potentially one more. Orlando and Herman totally whiffed on LB recruiting and development, and the current Texas roster in the Spring highlighted that.

Texas will be moving into a more true multiple look with a DE/OLB hybrid, a true WLB and two more specialized ILB's. Mitchel would have been in contention for one of the two specialized roles in the ILB rotation. Texas's LB core was so bad they went and got Thorton from LSU and Oghoufu from ND for their outside standup hybrid DE/OLB as grad transfers, D. Richardson from NMSU (FR All American pre COVID) as a free COVID transfer for WLB/ILB, and Ben Davis from Bama should be offical (not 100% but I think he has officially graduated from Bama) along with supposedly Palaie Gaoteote from USC as a free COVID transfer in the near future at ILB. Texas also has coming back D Overshown (who was their best LB last year) to play WLB as well as a J. Bush and a few others that were pushing/filling in for Mitchel for the LB snaps last year.

He ended up not really having a easy "fit" with the new DC and it was probably easier for both sides just to part ways and move on. He should do well as long as he plays within his strengths and is not required to be the main difference maker on the LB core. Keep him out of/protect him while he is in coverage (which was something that was all almost impossible in the B12) and simplify his responsibilities and he should be a solid addition to the Vols for the Fall.

Again, all good information consistent with my understanding of Mitchell's time in Austin. Counterpoint: He's an upgrade over basically everyone we have at the position right now, so happy to have him.

A lot of his problems with Texas seemed to be focus and off the field discontent. Hope he finds home he likes better in Knoxville. I know for a fact that Heupel is going to be much easier to like than Tom Herman.

Are you really excusing animal abuse so we get an extra player on the team. Dudes a psychopath. Glad he is gone
It’s actually how the majority of serial killers start. Small animals, things like that. Either way what he did was a felony. If it’s just brushed under the table then what’s the point of having law and order

Yup F THAT GUY if true. Absuing a kitten is worse than abusing an adult human. Completely and utterly helpless creature. F anyone like that to the moon and back. Should get legit jail time.

VN Store

Back