'19 NJ ILB Juwan Mitchell (Texas Transfer) [Tennessee commit]

OLBs- Young, Baron, Harrison, Joseph
ILBs- Mitchell, Banks, Willis, Garland

I mean.... not ideal, but definitely better.

Gonna be on BJM to develop these young/inexperienced guys.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Yes. No one has ever said that about Knoxville before...

tenor.gif

Great pick up. We still need to find one more ILB in the portal IMO. Gimme that and a couple of CBs and I'll feel a hell of a lot better about this team.

Jeff Howe, who covers Texas for Horns247, said the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Mitchell was a “pretty solid, dependable” player last season for the Longhorns. Howe said Texas didn’t want to lose Mitchell going into the 2021 season, and he believes Mitchell could be “a really good fit” in the SEC East.

“He’s physical,” Howe said of Mitchell, who started a combined 13 games during his two seasons at Texas. “I actually think, in the SEC East … other than probably Florida, I think he’s a good fit for that division because he is a C-gap-to-C-gap thumper.

“I mean, he will smash you between the tackles. If they can get him playing downhill, he’s really good. There are times in space where he’s going to be just kind of a mismatch. But I’ll say this, too: If he’s legitimately down to 225 (pounds), that’s a good thing because, his first year at Texas, he was probably in the upper 230s, low 240s. I think that was part of his problem.

“So if he’s legitimately under 230 pounds, then that’s going to be really good.”
Howe said “there are two really big knocks” on Mitchell as a player, starting with his limitations in pass coverage.

“Knock number one is, when you play spread teams, there are some times where he’s just going to struggle,” Howe said of Mitchell. “Texas Tech in particular, Oklahoma I remember, TCU — teams that were real spread — they really exploited him. Now, he’s not a complete liability in coverage. But if somebody schemes him up right, then he can have some issues in coverage, defensive zones.

“The other thing that really hurt him and hurt Texas last year: The game Texas lost to TCU, he was having a really, really good first quarter, and then the first two plays of the second quarter, he gets ejected for targeting. He had two targeting ejections last year. The second one didn’t hurt them as bad because they were blowing K-State out. He ended up not starting the bowl game, but Colorado was so bad it didn’t really matter.

“But the targeting ejection in the TCU game, that’s one of the handful of reasons Texas lost that game, was not having Mitchell on the field outside of, like, the first quarter and a half. But he really, really improved (throughout last season).”
-Callahan

OLBs- Young, Baron, Harrison, Joseph
ILBs- Mitchell, Banks, Willis, Garland

I mean.... not ideal, but definitely better.

Gonna be on BJM to develop these young/inexperienced guys.
I could see Mojo being inside with Mitchell Banks and Willis, and Eason being part of that second group at OLB. He’s heavier at 265 but like he’s stated a million times, the coaches don’t care as long as he can run. Garland and Page will provide some reserve depth

I like what I saw from him but no.
I think he will work his way into a strong rotational piece. Play 10 snaps on defense and great special teams.

I'm thinking Banks is going to come out of nowhere this year. Him playing next to Mitchell and I think he puts it all together.

I like what I saw from him but no.
I think he will work his way into a strong rotational piece. Play 10 snaps on defense and great special teams.

I'm thinking Banks is going to come out of nowhere this year. Him playing next to Mitchell and I think he puts it all together.
I had Banks pegged as the other other LB already. He’s the most experienced guy we’ve got splitting reps with Crouch.

I had Banks pegged as the other other LB already. He’s the most experienced guy we’ve got splitting reps with Crouch.

Yeah, but I think he's going to be a breakout player. Maybe the best defender on the team after it's all said and done. All-SEC type year.
It's a just a wierd hunch ive had.

If you watched Page and Garland play in the spring game, they had more the a few good moments. That level of coaching improvement applied to Banks maybe takes him over the top.

Yeah, but I think he's going to be a breakout player. Maybe the best defender on the team after it's all said and done. All-SEC type year.
It's a just a wierd hunch ive had.

If you watched Page and Garland play in the spring game, they had more the a few good moments. That level of coaching improvement applied to Banks maybe takes him over the top.
As much as I dislike the position Pruitt put us in he did say Banks had as much upside as any Alabama linebacker he had. I don’t think it’s bs... if he gets to where he understands the defense he has all the ability to be a star.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back