Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite Chatter

None of that should be surprising. Nintendo was struggling to make any money for a few years until they got back positive in 2015.

Nintendouya!

They are getting whipped. And no telling how long their handhelds will last. Their cash cow is in jeopardy with phones and tablets.

The good news is their mobile app is blowing up and they have more mobile goods coming. And they have enough money that yet another console dud isn't going to ruin them immediately.

Last edited:
Are the rumors still that the NX is going to be a console/handheld hybrid?

At this point, it's anybody ' s guess.

If theyre going to make a hybrid, I hope it is a powerful home console first that has a controller with a screen that doubles as a handheld via WiFi or 5G streaming. I hope its not the other way around where its a handheld first that streams to the TV because that would mean a sacrifice in performance compared to X1 and PS4.

Last edited:
To pile on to Nintendo even more, I got Star Fox Zero. I loved the original Star Fox and Star Fox 64.

This game is terrible. It's basically the exact same game as Star Fox 64, except they give you controls that are horrible. You have to use the game pad and it's a royal pain. I could only get halfway through the second level before I died and I just had to shut the thing off before I got too pissed.

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers
It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges.

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

For more on the console's power, Digital Foundry has a deep-dive look at the chip Nintendo has chosen as the centrepiece of NX, according to numerous well-placed sources: Nvidia's powerful Tegra mobile processor.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge, which is small when considering the size of many modern games.

Naturally, we expect digital game downloads will also be available. We were told Nintendo considered but then decided against making a system which supported digital downloads only.

It's not the first time cartridge-based media has been mooted for NX. Back in May, eagle-eyed fans spotted The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's trademark included cartridge-based games. This was a change from Nintendo's usual wording for home console trademarks, which only refer to digital downloads and discs.

Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility.

Another source said the system would run on a new operating system from Nintendo. It won't, contrary to some earlier rumours, simply run on Android.

Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

After the confused PR fiasco of the Wii U launch, the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go.

404 • Eurogamer.net

If it is portable like this, I'll be disappointed.

I just want Nintendo to make a powerful, great, REGULAR console on par with the PS4/Xbone. I'm tired of these gimmicks. I want to play Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., etc. with amazing graphics. I don't want another f***ing handheld.

Last edited:

I just want Nintendo to make a powerful, great, REGULAR console on par with the PS4/Xbone. I'm tired of these gimmicks. I want to play Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., etc. with amazing graphics. I don't want another f***ing handheld.

What makes you think these games on NX wont be amazing? And technically it's both a handheld and a console. You won't be forced to play it as a handheld.

Last edited:
Sounds like garbage.

Another gimmick machine from Nintendo. Go figure. If they think Dev are going to dumb down their stuff for this machine, they are crazy.

Sounds like a gimmick for kids

My knee jerk, gut reaction is.....this sounds really stupid.

Sounds like garbage.

Another gimmick machine from Nintendo. Go figure. If they think Dev are going to dumb down their stuff for this machine, they are crazy.

So basically a more powerful Wii U game pad that is portable like a 3ds. Thanks for wasting my time again, Nintendo.

Man there are a lot of haters on this forum! LOL

What is stupid about having a powerful hand held that also plays on your TV? I think it could potentially be a cool idea. Play all of your games on the go and when you come home, dock it to your TV and play on your big screen.

Evidently this is the architecture that's going into the NX...

16-nanometer, Pascal architecture, Denver CPU cores
The new Tegra chip should see a move from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing's (NYSE:TSM) 20-nanometer manufacturing technology to its 16-nanometer technology. The main improvement in the 16-nanometer technology relative to the 20-nanometer technology is the transition from planar transistors to 3D transistors called FinFETs, which enables a large improvement in performance and efficiency.

Beyond the move to the new manufacturing technology, the architecture of the chip should also see several enhancements. On the graphics front, the new Tegra will move to the company's newer Pascal architecture, which should help further drive performance improvements in a given power envelope relative to the X1.

The new Tegra also comes with two of NVIDIA's custom-designed Project Denver CPU cores as well as four ARM (NASDAQ:ARMH) Cortex A57 cores. This should mean improved CPU performance over the Tegra X1, which used four Cortex A57 cores and four weaker Cortex A53 cores.

Indeed, games tend to favor fewer but more powerful CPU cores over many weaker cores. It seems likely that the two second-generation Project Denver CPU cores inside of the next Tegra should be quite good for gaming applications.

I'm sure NVIDIA has made additional enhancements to other portions of the chip, some of which won't really be relevant for a dedicated gaming machine, but we won't know about those until the company discloses more details about the chip.

From everything I've read, this is more or less "Xbox One/PS4" territory in terms of performance. For a hand held, that's very powerful! Besides that, nobody's looking to replace their Xbox Ones or PS4's. Most people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. This will provide more than enough power to make their games impressive. Plus the fact that Nintendo have now merged their hand held and home console software divisions, that means more content coming out at a much faster rate than before.

Last edited:
From everything I've read, this is more or less "Xbox One/PS4" territory in terms of performance. For a hand held, that's very powerful!

I think most people regard this as garbage cause it's a tablet with remotes. Nothing exactly ground breaking here. And it's using a 2nd gen chip that powered tablets last time around (and will presumably power plenty of upcoming tablets).

They are putting an hdmi out on it or making a dock for it. Wow.

This appears to be about a half generation ahead of phones in our pockets today.

I think most people regard this as garbage cause it's a tablet with remotes. Nothing exactly ground breaking here. And it's using a 2nd gen chip that powered tablets last time around (and will presumably power plenty of upcoming tablets).

They are putting an hdmi out on it or making a dock for it. Wow.

This appears to be about a half generation ahead of phones in our pockets today.

I'd say it's a little more than that. Most analysts say cell phone performance will reach PS4 level around 2018.

Besides that, are we REALLY looking to Nintendo to provide us a cutting edge powerhouse console? They haven't done that since Gamecube.

I'm skeptical because the handheld console market is shrinking, giving way to the casual mobile gaming. The 3DS did well but not nearly as well as the DS. I also don't see this winning back much 3rd party support.

I'm skeptical because the handheld console market is shrinking, giving way to the casual mobile gaming. The 3DS did well but not nearly as well as the DS. I also don't see this winning back much 3rd party support.

That's true but damn, for the most part gaming sucks ASS on cell phones! The whole "free to play" model has ruined the quality of available games in the mobile arena. Even if the market is shrinking, I'd much rather game on a dedicated handheld than a cell phone, no matter how powerful they get.

Plus the lack of physical buttons just kills the ability to play so many different types of games. I can't believe up to now no cell phone provider has figured out a solution to that. Seems like with phones getting thinner and thinner, you'd think at least one company would attempt a "slider" smart phone design that would allow for physical game buttons.

Edit: I just remembered that Sony made a model like this a few years ago. It never took off but then again, Sony's cell phone division was never very popular or good anyway. If a Samsung or Apple designed something like this while still managing to be fairly thin, I'd strongly consider it.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
That's true but damn, for the most part gaming sucks ASS on cell phones! The whole "free to play" model has ruined the quality of available games in the mobile arena. Even if the market is shrinking, I'd much rather game on a dedicated handheld than a cell phone, no matter how powerful they get.

Plus the lack of physical buttons just kills the ability to play so many different types of games. I can't believe up to now no cell phone provider has figured out a solution to that. Seems like with phones getting thinner and thinner, you'd think at least one company would attempt a "slider" smart phone design that would allow for physical game buttons.

Edit: I just remembered that Sony made a model like this a few years ago. It never took off but then again, Sony's cell phone division was never very popular or good anyway. If a Samsung or Apple designed something like this while still managing to be fairly thin, I'd strongly consider it.

s-l500.jpg

Yep, I can't deal with mobile gaming, but the kids love them. Probably the attention span differences. Nothing can beat the actual d-pad and buttons of a DS though. I can't even stand it when a game requires the stylus.

Reactions: 1 person

s-l500.jpg

That's the point though, the market that Nintendo seems to be pointing this to is shrinking because it's made up of mostly casuals and casuals honestly don't really care about console-level gaming in a handheld or even being able to play it on a big screen. They care about simple games they can play in spurts that don't require any kind of complex control scheme.

I would have thought Nintendo would have realized this when they saw the market that made the Wii a smash hit leave in droves for mobile gaming and ignored the Wii U. The gamers left that still love console gaming have already moved to the PS4 and Xbox One and for the most part ignore Nintendo, and I fail to see how this is going to lure any of them back when both Sony and Microsoft are already building bigger and better machines that will make the NX even more behind.

New quote regarding the NX...

pokémon, mario and zelda headline nx 'dream' line-up
nintendo is putting together a triple-a software line-up, to ensure nx flies out of the gate next year.
Developer game freak will bring pokémon to the platform, while nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced zelda game – breath of the wild – and
a new mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

The firm has also been busy securing third-party support, with sega, square enix, ubisoft, activision and warner bros already on-board.

Sources close to nintendo have told mcv that the firm is determined that nx will not suffer the same slow start as either the wii u or 3ds.

The same sources confirmed that the eurogamer report last week - which revealed that nx will be a portable machine that can be plugged into a tv and features a breakaway controller – is ‘100 per cent accurate’.
Game graphics will be ‘somewhere between a ps3 and ps4’, with nintendo targeting an audience that sits between smartphone gamers and the more hardcore users of ps4 and xbox one.

“it’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “it won’t appeal to ps4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

nx is currently slated to launch in march next year worldwide.

I've already got a 3DS platform, so again, I don't need mobile crap.

Nintendo needs to get back to making a console like the N64. Powerful for its time featuring a great lineup of software. No more of this gimmick BS.

I've already got a 3DS platform, so again, I don't need mobile crap.

Nintendo needs to get back to making a console like the N64. Powerful for its time featuring a great lineup of software. No more of this gimmick BS.

Well, actually you can argue that the N64 is when they started to lose their standing. They decided to go with carts instead of CDs and that ended up costing them a lot of 3rd party support.

I agree about the power though, even though the cart decision was bad, the N64 at least was powerful.

VN Store

Back