NIL costing us recruits of late.

That is the nature of free agency. With some guys it is all about the money and winning be damned. Teams like Mizzou are going to grab a big name guy here and there, but the lack of marketing opportunities will limit their ability to do so.

Strange. I changed jobs 3 times. Each time I took less money but better opportunity. All 3 worked out to significantly increase my income.
That's the difference between building a career you know you can continue to work in vs the NIL situation.

For many of these guys, NIL is the only chance they'll ever have to monetize their talent. Most won't even see an NFL training camp much less an NFL field.

Unlike you, they have to strike when and where the iron is hottest. It's a solid NIL strategy to take the biggest money deal you can unless you are a very, very elite athlete virtually assured of an NFL look or career.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Agree with the principle which is why the full offer is what's important.

Most people have an idea of what they need to earn. Most people also consider a lot of other things than simply who offers them the best starting salary. If they don't... there is a high likelihood that person ends up unhappy and quits.

This is college, they are students. Or at least that's the way it used to be. Despite what many think who have lost the connection between college and college football, owing to the crass commercialization of the sport, they are not employees.

That's the difference between building a career you know you can continue to work in vs the NIL situation.

For many of these guys, NIL is the only chance they'll ever have to monetize their talent. Most won't even see an NFL training camp much less an NFL field.

Unlike you, they have to strike when and where the iron is hottest. It's a solid NIL strategy to take the biggest money deal you can unless you are a very, very elite athlete virtually assured of an NFL look or career.

Ha: many if not most of even the top recruits will not have a big impact on their team. There have been more than a few studies showing the tremendous attrition of college football signees and that, of the top 100 prospects, only about half, if that, will become significant starters/players for their teams. And that's the top 100. You can guess about all those who fall below that top tier. Large numbers fall by the wayside owing to injuries, transfer, legal/eligibility problems, or they just don't play much because they were overrated as college prospects. Thus NIL is to a large degree wasted bribery money.

Ha: many if not most of even the top recruits will not have a big impact on their team. There have been more than a few studies showing the tremendous attrition of college football signees and that, of the top 100 prospects, only about half, if that, will become significant starters/players for their teams. And that's the top 100. You can guess about all those who fall below that top tier. Large numbers fall by the wayside owing to injuries, transfer, legal/eligibility problems, or they just don't play much because they were overrated as college prospects. Thus NIL is to a large degree wasted bribery money.
If someone gives me money because they like my entertainment, it's not wasted unless they feel cheated.

A tip jar is a tip jar. NIL is little more than an add on to the inflated ticket prices except instead of the university getting a cut, the players get a cut.

It's like tipping the valet at an overpriced hotel where you have to valet your to park there. It sucks, but you like the hotel. NIL sucks, but we like the sports. 🤷‍♂️

This is college, they are students. Or at least that's the way it used to be. Despite what many think who have lost the connection between college and college football, owing to the crass commercialization of the sport, they are not employees.
With a straight face, you want to tell me that Joe Willie Nameth left Pennsylvania for Alabama to be a college student?

When did this "they used to be students" occur, when the Gipper was playing?

There is a principle at play. In what ways do you think it differs from an employee that are relevant to this conversation?

With a straight face, you want to tell me that Joe Willie Nameth left Pennsylvania for Alabama to be a college student?

When did this "they used to be students" occur, when the Gipper was playing?
They're supposed to be both. I would argue that is more true now than 20-30 years ago.

Can't expect these guys to choose a destination any differently than the way we choose where we work. It's just how it is. Sometimes, somebody is willing to pay more.
And sometimes they aren’t willing to come close.

They're supposed to be both. I would argue that is more true now than 20-30 years ago.
At least 8 SEC head coaches make more than the average head coach in the NFL.

This "they're just students" line gets old fast. It's a massive business with huge money on the line. It has been for many decades now. We can argue that the South should have better things to do than spend hours and thousands of dollars supporting SEC sports, but the people speak year after year and have for decades.

Just like Elvis on Ed Sullivan years ago changed things, we're not going back to Bing crooning a #1 hit. We're not going back to "I play for State because I've always wanted to play for State and it's right up the road and Mary Lou can go there too and even Grandpa can ride over to see me play. You always wanted me to go to college, Ma, and this is my chance."

I liked those old Andy Hardy style movies too. They're just not anywhere near the 2023 reality of SEC sports.

It is obvious some of the recruits we have been in on took the NIL route at the end and committed elsewhere. Hate losing some of these end rushers we could use due to their attraction to the money over the better place to go to play
I think the Mizzo kid also preferred to stay home if he could make less. I have turned down a considerable amount of money to stay in the southeast near my parents and elderly grandmother, and it has bitten me in the butt. May happen to the kid who stays at mizzou if building something special is a legitimate goal of his.

Yeah and I used to be young and agile. Things change. I’m on record as not liking how this thing is being managed but the choice now is to accept it or not because it ain’t going back to “the way it used to be”. Like it or not, it is now NFL Lite and for all intents and purposes, they are employees. And it’s going to get even wilder if some controls aren’t put on it.

At least 8 SEC head coaches make more than the average head coach in the NFL.

This "they're just students" line gets old fast. It's a massive business with huge money on the line. It has been for many decades now. We can argue that the South should have better things to do than spend hours and thousands of dollars supporting SEC sports, but the people speak year after year and have for decades.

Just like Elvis on Ed Sullivan years ago changed things, we're not going back to Bing crooning a #1 hit. We're not going back to "I play for State because I've always wanted to play for State and it's right up the road and Mary Lou can go there too and even Grandpa can ride over to see me play. You always wanted me to go to college, Ma, and this is my chance."

I liked those old Andy Hardy style movies too. They're just not anywhere near the 2023 reality of SEC sports.
Yep. Win one for the Gipper so that I can increase my NIL value!

It is obvious some of the recruits we have been in on took the NIL route at the end and committed elsewhere. Hate losing some of these end rushers we could use due to their attraction to the money over the better place to go to play

it would be very rare for a recruit to make a decision based on one factor. Multiple factors come into play when deciding on a school. You don't miss on recruits just over NIL. JMO

Join us we are growing fast and have awesome perks!

https://thevolunteerclub.com

Attachments

• IMG_4961.jpeg
    IMG_4961.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4960.png
    IMG_4960.png
    378.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4970.png
    IMG_4970.png
    277.7 KB · Views: 3
Missouri's NIL law is absolutely insane. And will almost certainly result in signing day drama when recruits realize the money is in the bank and that there isn't anything stopping them from bouncing to go play for a real team.

In all of this, I would much prefer the sane path forward. Keeping up with the Joneses in the NIL game is just going to inevitably backfire, just like what happened with Jalen Rashada in the offseason.

VN Store

Back