NIL costing us recruits of late.

strikervol

It is obvious some of the recruits we have been in on took the NIL route at the end and committed elsewhere. Hate losing some of these end rushers we could use due to their attraction to the money over the better place to go to play

Can't expect these guys to choose a destination any differently than the way we choose where we work. It's just how it is. Sometimes, somebody is willing to pay more.
Agree with the principle which is why the full offer is what's important.

Most people have an idea of what they need to earn. Most people also consider a lot of other things than simply who offers them the best starting salary. If they don't... there is a high likelihood that person ends up unhappy and quits.

I believe it was @KingNico that said (paraphrasing), that we don't lose recruits because of lack of NIL money. We just choose what amount is too much to pay for any one given recruit. Have to trust Heupel and company's judgement.
Hadn't read that, but I'm glad to see UT has some sense of fiscal responsibility. There have to be limits.

Can't expect these guys to choose a destination any differently than the way we choose where we work. It's just how it is. Sometimes, somebody is willing to pay more.
If they choose some crap school where they won't get developed or are rarely seen it could cost them a lot more in the long run. Sometimes the quick buck isn't the long-term best route.

I believe it was @KingNico that said (paraphrasing), that we don't lose recruits because of lack of NIL money. We just choose what amount is too much to pay for any one given recruit. Have to trust Heupel and company's judgement.

like someone said do you spend the money on one recruit or do you spend the same amount on a 4 star that could be just as good and a 3 star that can be coached up to be good.

The biggest issue with the most recent recruit is that Missouri State law allows the player to begin getting paid while still in High School. Tennessee does not. That will make a difference with a few, but you’re also likely to see some of those end up as transfers once they get to college

The biggest issue with the most recent recruit is that Missouri State law allows the player to begin getting paid while still in High School. Tennessee does not. That will make a difference with a few, but you’re also likely to see some of those end up as transfers once they get to college

In December 2022, the TSSAA Legislative Council unanimously approved changes to the Amateur Rule of the TSSAA Bylaws after extensive discussion with the membership at the TSSAA Administrators Meetings in September and Regional Meetings in November.

The change establishes that students are allowed to receive payment for instructional services and other activities not related to performance provided that they are carried out in a manner that does not suggest or reasonably suggest the endorsement or sponsorship of the TSSAA school. The student’s activities for which they are compensated may not include an image or likeness of the student in a uniform, or other clothing or gear depicting the name or logo of the TSSAA member school the student is attending or has attended. No reference to TSSAA accolades or championships may be used in the student’s activities for which they are compensated.

Name, Image and Likeness and the TSSAA Amateur Rule | TSSAA

Heupel is building a team, locker room winning culture. If you overpay for a freshman (besides QB) like Nwaneri, the rest of the position group already on the team goes "Where's my pay raise" and leads to toxicity among the players like we had before South Carolina that cost us the game. Building this thing steady to stay in the upper echelon of CFB again and compete for championships.

NIL pay will be driven by the market for top players at each position. There will always be an outlier here and there where some team went all in to get one player and you can't kill yourself chasing down and trying to match those outliers. We just need to be competitive overall and would think our approach is to pay above the NIL market for players we really want

Heupel is building a team, locker room winning culture. If you overpay for a freshman (besides QB) like Nwaneri, the rest of the position group already on the team goes "Where's my pay raise" and leads to toxicity among the players like we had before South Carolina that cost us the game. Building this thing steady to stay in the upper echelon of CFB again and compete for championships.

I agree.....ill take a 4 or even a promising 3 star that is hungry to win and team driven and lays it all out on the field vs. a 5 star that's all about himself and getting paid. They often become cancers and selfish. Plus, even in the pros, how many times have you seen superstars "Get Paid" and head to a new team only to fade out because they quit practicing or trying as hard.

NIL pay will be driven by the market for top players at each position. There will always be an outlier here and there where some team went all in to get one player and you can't kill yourself chasing down and trying to match those outliers. We just need to be competitive overall and would think our approach is to pay above the NIL market for players we really want
The problem is that some schools can go "all in" on multiple players every year. Like I said in a previous post some programs have supporters with so much money they can give billions and never miss the money.

At this point, I think you are better off to get who you can get with a generally spread out budget and then have a reserve to target a portal player or two. These HS kids are all gambles. Portals are much more known commodities who have tape at this level. But that’s just my .02. The better the program gets, the more we are going to have players going to the NFL early, so we need a plug and play fund for NIL transfers.

If they choose some crap school where they won't get developed or are rarely seen it could cost them a lot more in the long run. Sometimes the quick buck isn't the long-term best route.
If you're good enough to play on Sundays then you'll get drafted wherever you play. FCS schools have several players drafted every year.

In December 2022, the TSSAA Legislative Council unanimously approved changes to the Amateur Rule of the TSSAA Bylaws after extensive discussion with the membership at the TSSAA Administrators Meetings in September and Regional Meetings in November.

The change establishes that students are allowed to receive payment for instructional services and other activities not related to performance provided that they are carried out in a manner that does not suggest or reasonably suggest the endorsement or sponsorship of the TSSAA school. The student’s activities for which they are compensated may not include an image or likeness of the student in a uniform, or other clothing or gear depicting the name or logo of the TSSAA member school the student is attending or has attended. No reference to TSSAA accolades or championships may be used in the student’s activities for which they are compensated.

Name, Image and Likeness and the TSSAA Amateur Rule | TSSAA
When does this take effect? Or has it? I have heard otherwise but am no expert on the subject. My sons football days in HS & College ended prior to all of this

I wonder if in this new Transfer Portal era if a lot of guys that took the highest NIL deal they could get don't start to second guess if they land in a program that has some turmoil (see Texas A & M last year). It will be interesting to see if any of the biggest "gets" that have elite NIL deals transfer around after they work though a season or two on a team that isn't a contender.

VN Store

Back