Nico Launches Clothing Brand NI8Apparel

My question is whether a paid employee of the university would be allowed to create merchandise using the university colors, logo etc. and have a side job selling that merchandise? That would more than likely be noted as a conflict of interest with their employer, and they would not be allowed to do so or be let go for doing so. At the point the players are designated as employees, if that eventually happens the rules around NIL will change - yes, they could still have connections and be creative, but the rules change because they are now an employee and would have to abide by the conflict-of-interest rules that all university employees must abide by. That is very different from a person creating their own image and merchandise that reflects that image and making a profit on it.

For those who may have the leis - is the orange, Tennessee orange? Is the blue, Summitt blue? My understanding is that companies are not allowed to create jerseys, Tennessee shirts, etc. in those colors unless they are official property of the university. It is why there is lots of non-official merchandise that is not true Tennessee orange. If they are that color, is he getting around that because it doesn't say "Tennessee or Vols" anywhere?

I don't have a problem with anyone being an entrepreneur and inventing / creating their own things to sell. And I get the idea of folks using their "public popularity" to their advantage. If they have an idea and it is their own, they should go for it.

What I have a problem with is the idea that those who receive a full scholarship get nothing in return for playing football. If you monetized the worth of the benefits they receive it is a lot of money and the best thing, is they don't exit college with student loan debt to pay. They are also getting advertising for their NIL stuff.

If Nico wasn't the QB of the Tennessee football team, would you have any interest in what he is selling?

Sleeveless flannel is a little too "Dukes of Hazzard" for my taste .... but to each his own. I think those leis will be a big hit in Neyland next year.
I didn't like the General Lee, but I did like Daisy Duke, though I felt they ripped off Mary Ann, the original hot pants TV gal. But the car, I always felt they got it wrong, should have picked the Plymouth Roadrunner 426 Hemi.

Last edited:
My question is whether a paid employee of the university would be allowed to create merchandise using the university colors, logo etc. and have a side job selling that merchandise? That would more than likely be noted as a conflict of interest with their employer, and they would not be allowed to do so or be let go for doing so. At the point the players are designated as employees, if that eventually happens the rules around NIL will change - yes, they could still have connections and be creative, but the rules change because they are now an employee and would have to abide by the conflict-of-interest rules that all university employees must abide by. That is very different from a person creating their own image and merchandise that reflects that image and making a profit on it.
The university’s trademark licensing program protects the use of the university’s names, logos, slogans, insignias, symbols, and mascots. Pay the licensing fee, why would they care?

Last edited:
Our shirts and leis for the family came in today. I’m a fan. Nice look. Nice material. Fits well.

Reactions: WillisWG
Nothing if you're listening to him.
Everything if you're looking at him lol.
I'd bet big money that Larry doesn't give a rats a$$ what people think about his looks. I heard he has a brinks truck parked in his garage just to keep the overflow of his money o_Oo_O

Did anyone else get a free lei in the mail from the Volunteer Club? It's one of the orange and white Nico leis. It was a nice surprise in the mailbox today!
IMG_6828.jpg

Reactions: Vol8188

VN Store

Back