Nico getting contacted by other P5 Schools?

Manning played because others got hurt as did Tua at Alabama who came in for the injured Hurts. I don't care enough to look up the careers of the other qb's you listed but starting due to injury is much different than choosing to start a true freshman over others. Yes it happens but it isn't as common as most think and usually isn't a recipe for success
Well to not “look up” is being intellectually lazy. Each and every one of these were True Freshman who, no matter the reason, started and/or successfully played in their freshman season. Each was a gamer and much better than Milton. Heck, C Clausen, E Ainge, along with Manning here at TN prove your premise is weak…not to mention the aforementioned QB college studs…smh!

Last edited:

QB Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma (1985),​

QB Chad Henne, Michigan (2004),​

QB Philip Rivers, NC State (2000),​

QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor (2008),​

QB Josh Rosen, UCLA (2015), QB Peyton Manning (1994), Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence (2018), Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (2017).​

It has been done and will be done in the future!​

Far more true freshman have NOT started, right?

I'm not sure what citing exceptions to the norm in trying to prove something is useful.

It's far more likely Nico isn't ready as a true freshman, like most QBs including Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning who I believe were two of the most highly rated QBs of all time.

if ya'll think that Nico isn't being contacted, then i worry for ya'll. all top players get contacted through 3rd and 4th parties. especially since the portal is the way it is. so i would believe Tony. i wouldn't past any coaching staff to get in touch with Nico or any top player.

Manning played because others got hurt as did Tua at Alabama who came in for the injured Hurts. I don't care enough to look up the careers of the other qb's you listed but starting due to injury is much different than choosing to start a true freshman over others. Yes it happens but it isn't as common as most think and usually isn't a recipe for success
For that matter, Hendon Hooker only got a shot BC Milton got hurt…bc you know Milton can throw a piece of fruit 90 yds as a 9 year senior, thrice removed! Smh.

I love how everyone just assumes Nico will be great and lead us to the promised land because he was a top prospect. Ha. Top prospects
fizzle and transfer--sometimes multiple times--regularly. Nobody has the vaguest idea how he will perform. I don't say this to be negative--just realistic. People seem to think that because of this corrupt system of recruiting NIL bribery, that he MUST play right away and SURELY he will be great. It's all mostly nonsense. He'll start next year because we have no one else--unless The Heup brings in another transfer QB with experiernce, which wouldn't surprise me--and we'll see how he does.

Reactions: Raebo
Tampering

been happening ever since the portal was implemented (before as well but not to the extreme it is now) and will always be happening. Can't control it. there are so many ways to get interest to a player that it won't be challenged.

Reactions: Remy
If we lose the first five-star QB we have had in twenty years because our brilliant coach insists on playing a QB no other SEC team would even start, Heupel needs to go. That would be gross negligence of the highest order.
Rather if anyone wants to admit it or not, the future is now. If Nico transfers, we are in trouble next year for QB. Milton has shown all season what his max is and it isn’t very good. In 4 SEC games this year have scored more than 20, one time. If we had last year’s defense with this QB, we would have losing record right now. Defense is the reason why we are sitting at 5-2 right now.

Also everyone wants to point at our OLine and claim it’s not any good. Well we have the top rushing team in the SEC, given up the 3rd fewest sacks in the SEC, so I think our offensive line is good. When Milton got hit from behind against Bama he held the ball for 5 seconds. He has to make his mind up yo either run or throw ball away. 5 seconds is enough time for an average QB to make a decision. He has taken hits and sacks that could have been prevented if he would have made a quicker decision. Getting 5 seconds to make your mind up is more than enough time.

QB Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma (1985),​

QB Chad Henne, Michigan (2004),​

QB Philip Rivers, NC State (2000),​

QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor (2008),​

QB Josh Rosen, UCLA (2015), QB Peyton Manning (1994), Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence (2018), Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (2017).​

It has been done and will be done in the future!​

Right now Rashada is Arizona State starting QB also.

been happening ever since the portal was implemented (before as well but not to the extreme it is now) and will always be happening. Can't control it. there are so many ways to get interest to a player that it won't be challenged.
Yep. Our NIL collective offers High School Athletes deals to come here. These players are not just picked at random. The back end of the NIL collective are the same boosters who influence things at UT. That being said, people on this forum cant sit there with a straight face and tell me TN doesnt tamper. Everyone does it.

For those people that claim "Other teams start true freshman at QB with success"...name one.
Name me an NFL caliber, hell even an SEC caliber, QB that has started as a true Freshman in the last 30 years.

Manziel...nope - redshirt and had a year to learn Sumlin's offense.
Jared Goff...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - Cal went 1-11 and jared had 18 TD to 10 INTs with a sub 60% completion rate.
Matthew Stafford...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - UGA went 9-4 that year behind a stout running game. Stafford finished with 7 TDs and 13 INTs
Pat Mahomes...yep, started due to injury as QB2 - Tx Tech finished 4-8, good enough for 8th place in the Big 12

Granted all of those guys went on to have success at the college and NFL level, but I wouldn't call any of their freshman seasons a success.
Any others?
Trevor Lawrence, Lamar Jackson, Philip Rivers, Kevin Kolb, Box Nix, Jalen Hurts, Chad Henne, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, Terrelle Pryor, Robert Griffin III, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Corey Robinson, Jeffery Godfrey, J.T. Barrett, Jake Fromm, Josh Rosen, Tyler Bray, and some guy named Peyton Manning did pretty good when called on 29 years ago. Not all started every game but most on this list did and had a successful season.

You said name one in the last 30 years, I name one in Lawrence; I would say he was successful at the highest level seeing as he won a national championship.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
For those people that claim "Other teams start true freshman at QB with success"...name one.
Name me an NFL caliber, hell even an SEC caliber, QB that has started as a true Freshman in the last 30 years.

Jared Goff...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - Cal went 1-11 and jared had 18 TD to 10 INTs with a sub 60% completion rate.
Matthew Stafford...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - UGA went 9-4 that year behind a stout running game. Stafford finished with 7 TDs and 13 INTs
Pat Mahomes...yep, started due to injury as QB2 - Tx Tech finished 4-8, good enough for 8th place in the Big 12

Granted all of those guys went on to have success at the college and NFL level, but I wouldn't call any of their freshman seasons a success.
Any others?

Good post.

Did anyone see nico on the sidelines versus Bama? He was just sitting on the bench like he could give 2 cents about it.

You should quit while you are behind.

Reactions: Doberman
The QB room next year is Nico and True freshman Jake Merklinger. He is essentially guaranteed to be the starter next season with another good recruiting class brought in by Heupel to support him. Other schools/collectives may be reaching out but the grass is not always greener.

Any others?

I can show you 16 true freshman and provide you with their stats that have started since 2003. But this chart only has the 5 star players and what they did as freshman, there were 53 five stars between 2003-2023. There were 3 and 4 star QBs that also started during those time frames (Eric Ainge and Tyler Bray being a couple of them).

Ok, here you go

If he transfers, he transfers. The sun will still rise and set each day. You all are assuming he is the next coming of Peyton Manning or something. And he may very well be - but none of you, no matter how much you say have any control over this.

My thoughts and I don't know which of the below is true or false. Not in my job description to know.

- He has been here long enough to know if he fits the offense and believes he can be successful in it.
- He has been here long enough for the coaches to know if he fits the offense or not.
- If both believe that he can be successful within CJH's offense, him leaving makes no sense considering he is heir apparent to the starting position on an SEC team. It would be his to lose in 2024.
- If one or the other or both don't believe that, once the portal opens up it will be obvious as you will see someone leave and someone looking elsewhere to fill the QB void. That is unfortunately how it works these days. Players start at one school, either the player or coaches or both see the fit is not right and a player moves on. It is not like the old days where a player had to give up a year to play somewhere else.

Him starting a key game can be detrimental to both the team and Nico. He is an unknown. Him playing makes him not an unknown. Could be good for him but could be disastrous for him.

Reactions: Raebo
if ya'll think that Nico isn't being contacted, then i worry for ya'll. all top players get contacted through 3rd and 4th parties. especially since the portal is the way it is. so i would believe Tony. i wouldn't past any coaching staff to get in touch with Nico or any top player.
If he is they are all in trouble because Tampering is not allowed. Schools cannot call recruits. Maybe they have but if they have they will get caught. Even if through other parties if proven the school can still get in trouble if they prove it was orchestrated. Nico isn’t going anywhere anyway. GBO

I can show you 16 true freshman and provide you with their stats that have started since 2003. But this chart only has the 5 star players and what they did as freshman, there were 53 five stars between 2003-2023. There were 3 and 4 star QBs that also started during those time frames (Eric Ainge and Tyler Bray being a couple of them).

Ok, here you go

The interesting thing is that only 1 of the 5 from 2023 has seen any significant playing time.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

VN Store

Back