Nico getting contacted by other P5 Schools?

For those people that claim "Other teams start true freshman at QB with success"...name one.
Name me an NFL caliber, hell even an SEC caliber, QB that has started as a true Freshman in the last 30 years.

Manziel...nope - redshirt and had a year to learn Sumlin's offense.
Jared Goff...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - Cal went 1-11 and jared had 18 TD to 10 INTs with a sub 60% completion rate.
Matthew Stafford...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - UGA went 9-4 that year behind a stout running game. Stafford finished with 7 TDs and 13 INTs
Pat Mahomes...yep, started due to injury as QB2 - Tx Tech finished 4-8, good enough for 8th place in the Big 12

Granted all of those guys went on to have success at the college and NFL level, but I wouldn't call any of their freshman seasons a success.
Any others?
Jalen Hurts at Bama

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Major football programs are sniffing around high profile players of another major program.

Next up in the news, water is wet.

If he goes....he goes. Tough to get too attached to players or coaches in today's climate.

If they are contacting him its against NCAA rules.
When has that ever stopped anyone? I think a lot of teams look at NIL and the portal, it’s all fast and loose, and think why not push the boundaries. They see the NCAA as toothless now, more or less.

And he lost the job as a sophomore when he had to split time with Tua T. who eventually won the starter role and Hurts transferred to OU.
He really didn't split with Tua. Tua played a little here and there in mop up duty. Then after another full month of practice before the playoffs, he started the 2nd half. We all know what happened then

Man that makes perfect sense. Nico is the sure starter for next year, He has a great head Coach who develops QB's. He will run a fast paced offense with lots of potential for TD throws and TD runs. Is at the most prolific stadium and fanbase. Yeah, makes sense, transfer to a new school, have to learn new system, new coaches. Yeah perfect.

Reactions: ursaminotaur
What did everything think what was gonna happen when he isn’t getting a chance over a QB that has a 61 QBR? There are teams that are willing to give him a chance if Heupel won’t.

And again, how do you know he’s not ready? He has got to throw 5 passes all season long. He should have played more than what he has and yet Heupel won’t put him in because he doesn’t want a QB controversy if he plays better. Remember Heupel also thought Hooker wasn’t ready and started Milton over Hooker also.
If we lose the first five-star QB we have had in twenty years because our brilliant coach insists on playing a QB no other SEC team would even start, Heupel needs to go. That would be gross negligence of the highest order.

For those people that claim "Other teams start true freshman at QB with success"...name one.
Name me an NFL caliber, hell even an SEC caliber, QB that has started as a true Freshman in the last 30 years.

Jared Goff...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - Cal went 1-11 and jared had 18 TD to 10 INTs with a sub 60% completion rate.
Matthew Stafford...yep, started as a true freshman as an early enrollee - UGA went 9-4 that year behind a stout running game. Stafford finished with 7 TDs and 13 INTs
Pat Mahomes...yep, started due to injury as QB2 - Tx Tech finished 4-8, good enough for 8th place in the Big 12

Granted all of those guys went on to have success at the college and NFL level, but I wouldn't call any of their freshman seasons a success.
Any others?
Did you start following us yesterday? Just at this school we have had not one but two in the last twenty-three years. Ainge didn’t just start - he beat #3-ranked UGA, in Athens, and took us to the SEC championship. Casey Clausen started nine games as a true freshman and led us to an 8-4 record.

All Trevor Lawrence did as a true freshman was win the NC.

It’s okay to be uninformed. But when you come on here and post a blanket diatribe toward anyone who actually knows something about college football, it gets annoying.

1. If there's any truth to this (and there may not be), it is more likely he's being contacted by other NIL cooperatives, rather than schools. Big difference there. One is a violation of NCAA rules, the other is not (afaik).

2. Just because they're calling, that doesn't mean he's interested. Folks call me all the time trying to sell me stuff. I'm never interested. Nico can be in the same boat.

3. Doesn't make any sense for him to even consider alternatives, because (a) the only guy ahead of him on the roster is on his final year of eligibility, (b) Nico is the presumptive heir, and (c) he's at a school with a really savvy head coach who absolutely knows how to develop QBs. Also, Nico supposedly has one of the most lucrative NIL deals in all of college sports; little chance anyone is outbidding that by enough to make it worth the pain of a move.

Bottom line: this might have some element of truth to it. But even if it does, it's a big nothing burger. Feel free to push it aside and get on with the more important things in life and football.

Go Vols!
Here's a possibility.

Nico IS being contacted by NIL collectives and perhaps that gives Nico or his NIL agent some leverage to "happen to mention" to Spyre that he's been contacted.

Think Mike Gundy's agent letting it be known that he was getting contact from UT and suddenly Oklahoma State is interested in giving him a raise and extension.

Welcome to modern college football.

Per Basilio, ND and USC both are contacting Nico. Take this with a grain of salt, i know TB is always on the "Sky is Falling" routine. I did not hear this myself because i do not listen to him. This was passed on to me by a friend who does. Someone can confirm. But my thoughts on this is, if he wants to go let him go. You gave him a hefty deal to come here. He wasnt ready, If he thinks he is and is unhappy let him leave.

I’m sure that Malachi Nelson is totally on board with USC trying to grab Nico.

Any others?

QB Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma (1985),​

QB Chad Henne, Michigan (2004),​

QB Philip Rivers, NC State (2000),​

QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor (2008),​

QB Josh Rosen, UCLA (2015), QB Peyton Manning (1994), Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence (2018), Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (2017).​

It has been done and will be done in the future!​

Did you start following us yesterday? Just at this school we have had not one but two in the last twenty-three years. Ainge didn’t just start - he beat #3-ranked UGA, in Athens, and took us to the SEC championship. Casey Clausen started nine games as a true freshman and led us to an 8-4 record.

It’s okay to be uninformed. But when you come on here and post a blanket diatribe toward anyone who actually knows something about college football, it gets annoying.

Every qb you have mentioned as being successful, and they were, was surrounded exponentially more talent offensively than this team has and it isn't even close. That 2000 Tennessee team had several future NFL players on it. The 2004 team had one of the best receiving groups in UT history in addition to Cedric Houston at rb. You should take your own advice

Lawrence is a good one.

Ainge got knocked out and did not finish his freshman season. The argument could be made that starting too soon led to his addiction and derailed his career.

Casey Clausen took over 10/21/00 and got to cut his teeth on a very soft back-end schedule.

Reactions: JettVol

QB Jamelle Holieway, Oklahoma (1985),​

QB Chad Henne, Michigan (2004),​

QB Philip Rivers, NC State (2000),​

QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor (2008),​

QB Josh Rosen, UCLA (2015), QB Peyton Manning (1994), Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence (2018), Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (2107).​

It has been done and will be done in the future!​

Manning played because others got hurt as did Tua at Alabama who came in for the injured Hurts. I don't care enough to look up the careers of the other qb's you listed but starting due to injury is much different than choosing to start a true freshman over others. Yes it happens but it isn't as common as most think and usually isn't a recipe for success

VN Store

Back