Nice additions to my memorabilia

The best there ever was at UT.

For some, that might be up for debate. But not from me. Al Wilson was something special, and was one of the big reasons why that was a national championship year. Without him? That would have been a hole not easily filled. It would have probably been another year we came close.

He was great. Watched him in HS, College, and NFL............but not the best in Tennessee history. Sorry!
His effort and intensity will never be surpassed. Al gave his all every damned play. If someone calls him the greatest that’s fine by me

Since you did not list your best? Allow me a guess.: Doug Atkins.
Best linebacker? Yea, I can definitely see that. Andy Spiva or Steve Kiner (2 X All-American.) maybe.....

Best player in history.....I could find several others, but I would always want Wilson on my team.

If we disagree on whether he was the best Vols LB, can we at least agree that he was possibly the best leader any of us have seen wearing Orange in the last 40 years?

Reactions: Carl Pickens
The best there ever was at UT.
Al was great...no doubt about it...but the Vols have had stellar linebackers for years and years...A lot of people think Al walked onto the campus and was the man from day one...and that's just not the way it was...To me...one of the most impressive things about Al is how he matured into the role as an outstanding backer and leader....

Since you did not list your best? Allow me a guess.: Doug Atkins.
I mean It’s not like you could fault anyone for naming one of Wilson, Atkins or White as the greatest defender to ever wear the orange.
Take your pick and roll with it.
GBO!!

I liked when he and Jamal Lewis got into a bench press duel one summer and were pushing up ridiculous amounts that few, if any, of the OL could even match, when a very nervous S&C coach (Johnny Long maybe?) stopped them before they shredded a pectoral.

I watched most if not all of those mentioned here play (yep, my spring chicken days are forever lost inside a neck-deep snowdrift) and all were top-notch. It's hard not to give a shout-out to Dale Jones in this discussion. He was a terrific LB (just ask Vinnie Testaverde) who earned numerous All-American honors and was a dynamic team leader. While I'm at it, Jerod Mayo also deserves a nod. He was a first-round draft pick after only 3 years on the Hill. If I was forced to choose though, it's hard not to lean towards Al Wilson as arguably the best of the bunch when you combine his abilities both as a player and a leader.

Lets not forget Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds if we are talking Vol linebackers but I do believe Al Wilson was the best "Leader" to ever wear the orange and white.
From my days. Kiner can't go without mention. Same for Jackie Walker and Frank Emanuel.

Reactions: onevol74
Mr. Wilson did a sit down signing for a friend of mine. It was a fund raising for a scholarship in memory of his son. There are other items he has available.

Reactions: BluegrassVOL

VN Store

Back