NFL.com combine grades/results

While before 40's became a big thing I find it extremely likely Bob Hayes would have been a sub-4.3 guy. Hell, if he time warped into today's combine it's entirely conceivable he would break the 40 record.
I'd bet there are a hand full of others also. Google says the nfl didnt start electronic 40 times until 1999 and nfl requires 5 years post retirement for HOF. So the window for players in HOF and in combine after 1999 is very small.

Reactions: k-town_king
He'll stick in the NFL because when he goes up for a ball he comes down with it about 90% of the time regardless of much the defender fights him.

And once he comes down with the ball, one man isn't going to bring him down. If you need 7 for a first down, he will get at least 7.5. I fear JJ have a short career because he does not protect his body; he lays it all on the line.

Reactions: govols10302bb
DWA is at least a big guy, so maybe he still gets a shot. I thought it was pretty impressive for a 261 lb guy to get a 35” vertical.
not with a 4.92 and he is a receiving TE....he is not known for his blocking at all.it explains a lot about our offense last year.. he was almost never in on running downs that coupled with his speed would let defenses key on the fact he was in the game its likely a pass and his limited speed would make covering him that much easier if u know he's going on a pass pattern. Like I said some O-linemen will wrun 4.8's thats insanely slow for a non blocking tight end.

not with a 4.92 and he is a receiving TE....he is not known for his blocking at all.it explains a lot about our offense last year.. he was almost never in on running downs that coupled with his speed would let defenses key on the fact he was in the game its likely a pass and his limited speed would make covering him that much easier if u know he's going on a pass pattern. Like I said some O-linemen will wrun 4.8's thats insanely slow for a non blocking tight end.
Jennings honestly blocks better than DWA

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71
He also is considered to be one of the best route runners to ever play the game and he was known for having some of the best and strongest hands to ever play the game. JJ is not close at all to Jerry Rice and never will be. Terrible reference I feel.

Jennings honestly blocks better than DWA
I think that's why JJ's 40 won't matter as much his blocking and special teams and his tape. Just like Charles Davis said he plays a lot faster than 4.72. Not putting him on that level but for example, Jerry Rice the undisputed G.O.A.T. at WR ran a 4.71. I guess a more relevant comparison would be Anquan Boldin (6'1" 212) who also ran a 4.71. This is the guy he reminds me most of.. Like an Aquan Boldin/Hines Ward cross.

edit: hah looks like smokinvol beat me to the Jerry rice 40 time reference

I think that's why JJ's 40 won't matter as much his blocking and special teams and his tape. Just like Charles Davis said he plays a lot faster than 4.72. Not putting him on that level but for example, Jerry Rice the undisputed G.O.A.T. at WR ran a 4.71. I guess a more relevant comparison would be Anquan Boldin (6'1" 212) who also ran a 4.71. This is the guy he reminds me most of.. Like an Aquan Boldin/Hines Ward cross.

edit: hah looks like smokinvol beat me to the Jerry rice 40 time reference
JJ had a terrible combine. He was nearly last in all measurables at WR in a deep class of receivers. I think his numbers alongside his past history is going to drop him out of the draft. It's not easy to make it in the NFL as an undrafted WR if that happens. JJ should also never be compared to Jerry Rice.

JJ had a terrible combine. He was nearly last in all measurables at WR in a deep class of receivers. I think his numbers alongside his past history is going to drop him out of the draft. It's not easy to make it in the NFL as an undrafted WR if that happens. JJ should also never be compared to Jerry Rice.
I love how people constantly bring up JJ's "past history" he had the one incident its not like the guy was some trouble maker. Anyone paying any attention to what was going on at UT at the time would be able to contextually discount even that. The only organization that would be scared off by JJ's past (unless you're talking about injuries) si an organization that thinks it's a mess. Yeah if your program is in the final stages of meltdown you might want to have JJ stay off social media but outside of that, he is one of the best locker-room/onfield/side-line presences you could ask for from all I have seen. Even his injuries can to some extent written off as they were kinda one-time freak accidents. One could say its part of his styler of play but again is that really as knock? He is the definition of a gamer.

I get the fact that you gonna support the guys that played here but lets be real Jennings didnt create much separation from anybody. He just use his strength alot of times to get the ball. I think he still got a shot of getting drafted. Callaway may get picked up.

I tend to agree with you. Not a good combine and people are worried about a few past incidents. I think it will drop him and have claimed for some time now that is how NFL teams will view him. I am not sure it drops him out of the draft. I can definitely see him dropping no later than 6th round. Some teams will want him and they will not want to chance 7th round or UFA.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I love how people constantly bring up JJ's "past history" he had the one incident its not like the guy was some trouble maker. Anyone paying any attention to what was going on at UT at the time would be able to contextually discount even that. The only organization that would be scared off by JJ's past (unless you're talking about injuries) si an organization that thinks it's a mess. Yeah if your program is in the final stages of meltdown you might want to have JJ stay off social media but outside of that, he is one of the best locker-room/onfield/side-line presences you could ask for from all I have seen. Even his injuries can to some extent written off as they were kinda one-time freak accidents. One could say its part of his styler of play but again is that really as knock? He is the definition of a gamer.
He had two incidents.

please jog the memory I don't remember anything other than the one. I remember lots of rumors but rumors are just that. I tend to forget we live in a post facts era.
Vanderbilt face stomp. The NFL doesn't miss anything, they'll go back to his HS days as well. I'm guessing that he got asked about more than 1 incident.

If the NFL watched the tape it will be obvious to them it was not him purposely stomping someone's face... fake news. He got pushed into the dude. There is a reason the SEC only suspended him a half. If they for a second thought he purposely stopped someone's face no way he gets a half-game suspension. they did it because they felt they HAD to do something because it would have looked bad if they didn't. the fact he only got half a game sent both messages. "We don't believe he did this on purpose but we won't tolerate such acts." any front office with sense will know this. The NFL has investigators for a reason. Also if u read his combine report neither of his "incidents" are mentioned and if you read through them they mention such things.

If the NFL watched the tape it will be obvious to them it was not him purposely stomping someone's face... fake news. He got pushed into the dude. There is a reason the SEC only suspended him a half. If they for a second thought he purposely stopped someone's face no way he gets a half-game suspension. they did it because they felt they HAD to do something because it would have looked bad if they didn't. the fact he only got half a game sent both messages. "We don't believe he did this on purpose but we won't tolerate such acts." any front office with sense will know this. The NFL has investigators for a reason. Also if u read his combine report neither of his "incidents" are mentioned and if you read through them they mention such things.
I'm a big fan of JJs but history says that toughness doesn't trump terrible combine numbers. This draft is loaded with WRs, as many as 10 may go 1st round, and JJs name is likely at the bottom of the list after this week. I just don't see him getting drafted simply because he is tough, there's a bunch of tough men in the league.

I'm a big fan of JJs but history says that toughness doesn't trump terrible combine numbers. This draft is loaded with WRs, as many as 10 may go 1st round, and JJs name is likely at the bottom of the list after this week. I just don't see him getting drafted simply because he is tough, there's a bunch of tough men in the league.

Lol. 10 wide receivers in the first round? Don't hold your breath on that one!

Reactions: NYCVolunteer
If he does not go in the first 3 rounds he's better off as a UDFA anyway. Don't tell me I have to go down the number of UDFA's from UT are still in the league since 2000? hint its almost more than we actually got drafted. And I'm talking about guys playing snaps not practice squad guys.

I don't know what the deal is if it is financial or some weird thing with contracts but teams tend to be more patient with UDFA's than late (4-7th) round draft pics. As a UDFA you have some chioce and can pick a team that fits your style and has a favorable depth chart situation or coaching staff for your developmental needs.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Lol. 10 wide receivers in the first round? Don't hold your breath on that one!
Agreed I dont think there will be much more than normal going the first day. In fact, many might drop because teams know they can wait because the class is so deep. There will definitely be a lot of 3rd round rated guys going in the 5-6th

please jog the memory I don't remember anything other than the one. I remember lots of rumors but rumors are just that. I tend to forget we live in a post facts era.
Vandy incident and the sideline blow up kicked off the team situation with the previous coaching staff.

Bituli got 15 more reps than I would but this has to be a low number for the LB’s. This won’t help him climb any draft boards but still hoping he finds a way to impress 1 team and makes it to the league.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Bituli got 15 more reps than I would but this has to be a low number for the LB’s. This won’t help him climb any draft boards but still hoping he finds a way to impress 1 team and makes it to the league.

A punter hit 25 reps...lol

I feel like these guys didnt prepare for this!!

The most wide receivers ever drafted in the 1st round in the entire history of the NFL was 7 in 2004.

Reactions: JacketVol

VN Store

Back