Neyland Stadium name change?

Funny thing I was thinking about a guy I played ball with saw him a few years back he retired two star general, wing commander Iraq war, was at pentagon when it was attacked . Anyways funny I saw him out in a local store shopping and people don’t have a clue who he is what he did kind of funny. Anyways I don’t hate General Neyland nothing but respect and yeah after researching more he was a lot better than fulmer.

NO, NEVER. The man not only served our great university but also his country admirably. Also, if I am not mistaken we followed his master design for the stadium as well for a long time. We should never take away this man’s and family’s honor by even reconsidering to rename our stadium.

John Ward was a great radio personality and his dedication to his craft also benefitted the university in many ways. We should find a unique way of honoring his service if we have not already.

Hiring an adequate announcer to fill his spot would be nice.

Funny thing I was thinking about a guy I played ball with saw him a few years back he retired two star general, wing commander Iraq war, was at pentagon when it was attacked . Anyways funny I saw him out in a local store shopping and people don’t have a clue who he is what he did kind of funny. Anyways I don’t hate General Neyland nothing but respect and yeah after researching more he was a lot better than fulmer.

That took researching?

Reactions: SugarCC
Agreed.

And this was definitely one of those.

@utfantilidie , man, you need to read up on General Neyland. I mean, BEFORE you start threads like this.

Here's how legendary Neyland was: Bear Bryant was never able to win against him. Bryant once said (going from memory, might not be precise to the word), "I learned everything there is to know about football from Neyland, except how to beat him."

Four of our six claimed national titles came during the Neyland era: '38, '40, '50, and '51. The list of other accomplishments our program attained under his watch is almost incredible. Things like going an entire season undefeated and without any other team scoring a single point on us.

And beyond even all that, Neyland designed the stadium himself. He was a US Army Engineer officer, and played a big part in planning out how the stadium would be built and even foresaw future expansions. And "General" wasn't a nickname--he had an illustrious military career as well.

You're way off base. And it is hard to believe you didn't already know a lot of this, at least in passing. So one has to ask: are you a troll?
Couldn't agree with you any more. I think you hit the nail on the head with that last statement.

Would you ever consider changing the name of Neyland Stadium? It was Shields–Watkins Field (1921–1962). Things were a lot different then. I know he was a good coach and such but you know maybe it’s time to reconsider it. Myself I’d like to see it named John Ward Stadium. Just a thought.
Then keep your thoughts to yourself.

Would you ever consider changing the name of Neyland Stadium? It was Shields–Watkins Field (1921–1962). Things were a lot different then. I know he was a good coach and such but you know maybe it’s time to reconsider it. Myself I’d like to see it named John Ward Stadium. Just a thought.

1635426292887.gif

No, not "just a thought." It a clear departure from reality. The horror. The horror.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

Kesling Pee Troughs

Well, I am betting there are more commodes than pee troughs. However, unlike Bob, when you really need to go, there is a moment you are excited to see both. So, these items cause more excitement than Bob ever will.

IMO, the most boring thing I have ever seen at the stadium was that beige paint they painted the steel with for a few years. Name that boring paint Bob Kesling Beige. That works without having to invoke bodily functions.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
Well, I am betting there are more commodes than pee troughs. However, unlike Bob, when you really need to go, there is a moment you are excited to see both. So, these items cause more excitement than Bob ever will.

IMO, the most boring thing I have ever seen at the stadium was that beige paint they painted the steel with for a few years. Name that boring paint Bob Kesling Beige. That works without having to invoke bodily functions.
Bob’s Beige, I love it

Folks here can try to stir up name change all they want. It's Neyland Stadium and it will be Neyland Stadium when we have all passed away. Not changing any time soon, like 50-100 years soon if ever. I highly doubt it ever happens. The great majority do not want that to change. GBO!!!!!!

Bob’s Beige, I love it

Yeah, I didn't want to get too biological with it. And from what I hear, he really is a nice guy. I met John Ward, and he often was not such a nice guy. Busy I guess, but I did not need a nice guy doing the job. I need a competent guy. And I have found alot of people who are not competent hang onto jobs by being very nice. So this is why we have been stuck with Bob for so long, and people who listen to him find reasons to like him. My theory at least.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
No - No-No John Ward is a Legend I listened to him 1967 until 1998 and there will never be another but have you actually looked at Neylands history at what he did in the military as well as football. Just an old mans opinion but I could still be on a protest line if it was even talked about by the administration.

giphy (1) (1).gif

VN Store

Back