Neyland Entertainment District

Tabletop on G10 sounds neat but I’m not inspired by Vol Navy seeing a hotel instead of Neyland Stadium from where they’re berthed. If South and East Stadium Halls are getting razed how hard could it be to build a hotel right into the stadium itself?
I'm thinking waterfront and stadium views would be a huge selling point.

Side note: the state budget has money for that pedestrian bridge starting between G10 and the arena and crossing the river to south Knox. It wouldn’t be a stretch to picture a whole village over across the river and a walk to the game and to bars and whatnot on top of the garage. It’s easy to get excited about what all’s possible there.

Oh for sure. I was looking at the athletic department page about it and they put up some images of other venues like this in Toronto. We’d lose a bunch of seats but someone would pay all the money in the world for this.
View attachment 551988

NEYLAND ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT: <p> An Unparalleled Rocky Top Experience - University of Tennessee Athletics

They had to pass a law in Toronto I believe to make it illegal to “do the deed” with windows open in the rooms adjoining the stadium.

I immediately thought of the Battery when I read this.

Certainly makes sense. The Braves are printing money with their complex.

'Course, they also have games 80+ nights per year.
Folks who have seen the Battery will instantly be more excited about this than those who haven’t. Converting that area from parking lots to a well thought out retail district with year round appeal will be huge.

Be nice if they could help out some of the businesses that were destroyed by the ridiculous development on the strip.
9854521.jpg
Things have certainly changed over the years. This was Neyland when I started going. First game was in the temp bleachers. Saw a few from the hill side on a blanket when we couldn't get tickets.

Good point about the strip. It is quickly being replaced by apartments since UT has such a housing shortage for students. I could see this as a strip replacement. It is probably a good thing. As many good memories I have of the strip it was getting pretty seedy. Seemed like someone was getting shot there almost nightly.

9854521.jpg
Things have certainly changed over the years. This was Neyland when I started going. First game was in the temp bleachers. Saw a few from the hill side on a blanket when we couldn't get tickets.
Yeah, we lived on Tradition during the down years with all the buffoon coaching but now that we appear to be on the rise it's **** tradition let's be like all the other guys.

Question; who is going to get rich off of this project?
The initial investors and developers should see some healthy profits. The F&B folks will kill it. Original buyers of the condominiums should look to see their investment grow at a good clip.
When I was in school the strip was awesome. Over the years the University has pushed onto that Cumberland space and it is nothing like it used to be. UT needs that atmosphere back in a big way. I go to at least six Braves games a year. What they have done with the battery area is nothing less than phenomenal. I cannot wait to see how this project plays out.
I was fortunate enough to enjoy a couple of games in the renovated parts of lower Neyland last year. Danny White does not play. What he envisions and creates is world class. His mind set really reminds me of how the Augusta National Golf Club goes about enhancing the patron experience on an annual basis. Every year there is something more. Everything is done with utmost forethought and class. We are in a place now that I would have never imagined three years ago with Phil running the show. We are so lucky to have landed AD DW.

It’s an embarrassment what’s happened with the strip. Parking garages and more apartments in lieu of small restaurants and bars for the students to visit or those in town for a TV football game.

I was shocked to see what happened over the past years and then recently over Christmas break. My concern is some students may get into a car and drive to a bar in the Old City, etc since the strip is very limited for night life.
Agree. Boy, I used to walk down from Reese, hit he last lap or tap room, no.. first Eddies Liquor store to cash a check for $5.10 (Eddie kept the .10) that lasted a whole night of quarter beers, or hit the Maltese Falcon in Shelbourne towers. With all this fancy schmancy strip we got now, hard for a student to have a good time on $5 and still not have to drive.

but alas... heavy sigh.. Simon and Garfunkel sang.. Joe Dimagio, where have you gone? I think change the lyrics to "Cass Walker, where have you gone?"

VN Store

Back