Neyland Entertainment District

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
WebsiteGraphic-9900000000079e3c.jpg

From UTSports

Danny White has initiated the exploration of a public-private partnership aimed at the development of a first-in-class entertainment district spanning the Tennessee River waterfront near historic Neyland Stadium.

Anchored by a planned hotel adjacent to the stadium's south end, the mixed-use Neyland Entertainment District could uniquely enhance the Tennessee football gameday experience while also transforming the campus riverfront and supplementing Knoxville's array of gathering centers with yet another attractive leisure and entertainment hub.

The university's initial concept for the project—which would improve the aesthetics of Neyland Stadium's exterior façade and strengthen campus's connection with the Tennessee River—includes a boutique, full-service hotel with for-sale condominiums and conference/event space. The vision also features the potential development of a "tabletop" above the existing G10 parking garage to support additional tailgating, restaurants, retail and family-friendly entertainment activities.

"Innovation is at the forefront of everything we do," White said. "The ideation of this new Neyland Entertainment District exemplifies that mindset. This is a massive project that has the potential to positively impact our entire city. We're eager to see what world-class developers dream up to creatively maximize this extraordinary market opportunity. We have the capacity for constructing an entertainment ecosystem that doesn't presently exist anywhere across the collegiate landscape.

"This is far greater than an activation on seven or eight days a year. This is a year-round destination that not only enhances our gamedays but also elevates the everyday academic experience of our entire student body and campus community year-round."

Same architect who did Battery Oark at Braves stadium if I am reading correctly.

Looks like they only have an RFI out, so no developers or architects are involved yet. Right now the firm they are working with are just consultants to help them with the process. But you're right, same firm that worked with Cobb County to estimate economic impact and sell to the residents how much public money they were about to give lmao

the idea is pretty cool. I would hope there is some of the university spilling into this as well.

I would like to see another bridge, preferably a pedestrian one, over the river. although that would be a LONG walk, would maybe need to create an island/stop, which could be a cool option for tailgating or a restaurant or something unique.

The railroad is going to be an issue. Those guys NEVER give up their land, that might be what the table they mentioned is for.

also hopefully they clean up the river right there. so much trash from 2nd creek right there at the boat dock.

Having a 12-story hotel/condo towering over the stadium and blocking/altering the view of the stadium from the river doesn't sound great.
Depending on where they place that 12 story hotel, it may not loom too much or block the river view. Ideally there would be some type of open plaza connecting down to the river, with some smaller buildings lining it, and the hotel is behind those.

the idea is pretty cool. I would hope there is some of the university spilling into this as well.

The railroad is going to be an issue. Those guys NEVER give up their land, that might be what the table they mentioned is for.

also hopefully they clean up the river right there. so much trash from 2nd creek right there at the boat dock.

Yep, a couple of goal posts if I remember correctly.. New hotel does not need to block goalpost access to the river.

It sure is nice to have a forward thinking AD that is open to creative ideas versus automatically saying, “well, we can’t do this”—the kind of thinking that has hampered TN athletics too often.

For those questioning a 12 story hotel blocking river & mountain views—just who in the heck would it impact outside some folks on the very top rows of the south end of the stadium? Besides, a 12 story building won’t be much higher than the top of the stadium—if at all—depending on exact site location.

Be nice if they could help out some of the businesses that were destroyed by the ridiculous development on the strip.

It’s an embarrassment what’s happened with the strip. Parking garages and more apartments in lieu of small restaurants and bars for the students to visit or those in town for a TV football game.

I was shocked to see what happened over the past years and then recently over Christmas break. My concern is some students may get into a car and drive to a bar in the Old City, etc since the strip is very limited for night life.

VN Store

Back