Next yr starting 5

Discussing possible starting five/rotations gets me thinking about next years regular season schedule! I thought Kellie did a great job at beefing it up from what she inherited her first two seasons. Hopeful to see a couple new additions to our non-conference schedule with possibilities like: Notre Dame, Indiana, NC State, Louisville, etc.

Don't want to be negative, but the fact is, Jordan Walker is more of a liability at point guard. She makes a good play every now and then, but the careless passes and turnovers are killers.

I do not believe she will see much time the other people we have coming in. I want to see us push the ball up the court much faster and not allow defenses to set up.

I am very excited about next year. We will have a bunch of players who will hustle for 40 minutes. Too many of our games this year were close simply because we did not hustle and fight for the ball for 40 minutes; only 12 to 15, maybe. We won the game against Belmont with the big shot by Sara Puckett, but they embarrassed us with their hustle. That should never happen. Having bad shooting nights will happen, but we SHOULD NEVER BE OUTHUSTLED. That is something we can absolutely control.

I love Walker toughness and grit she plays with. But her outside shot is very inconsistent and she is not explosive Athlete and her height to be 2 guard starter at high level. She will play considerable minuets however. Powell Horston Jackson Puckett Key starting 5. Miles Walker Pissot Marta and Striplin with current roster. In CHRIST Alone
Wynn will see significant time.

She will have a chance to supplant one in second group. Like her Athletically tall strong for guard but her lack of offensive game other than slasher to basket right now has her odd player out but again if she works hard her deficiencies upside is big. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
The crazy one is you to think she isn't very good. A real fan of the team would know she has played out of her natural position and is being asked to play how she has never played. Kellie knows this which is why she added Powell so that Walker can play off the ball and be far more productive.
yes, and she has improved considerably throughout this year. Who knows how good she will be next year? It is really hard to know for sure the type of playing time different players will get other than the big 3 (Keys, Jordy, and....RICKEA), especially given that some of our Freshmen may take huge leaps in their game as Sophomores. I think we will have enough depth that she will substitute liberally, and in some games some bench players may get more minutes than the starters. This will also help us play more of a press defense without getting worn out. And with the press, how can you leave out Wynn. I am starting to drool with all the possibilities, but I am ready to bug the ticket office for my season tickets.

The crazy one is you to think she isn't very good. A real fan of the team would know she has played out of her natural position and is being asked to play how she has never played. Kellie knows this which is why she added Powell so that Walker can play off the ball and be far more productive.
We will see come next fall, you may be right, not

I sure hope Kellie can manage everyone’s expectations. Lots of good players to spread minutes around. If she can keep everyone happy and maintain the close knit/family culture it will improve the appeal to the next wave of recruits.

Also, I would like to not see wholesale subs, and instead see everyone being comfortable playing with everyone. If she can create that then it’d be very difficult for opposing coaches to plan against the LVs.

Jordan Walker will be a third year point guard for Kellie. She knows the system, and we need an experienced PG. She will be starting, along with Jordan, Tamari, Rickea, and probably Sara.
I think Marta will battle Sara for a spot in the SL. Can't go wrong with either in the SL and can't go wrong either coming off the bench to sub for the other. Potent lineup, period. GBO.

Reactions: Bret178
Don't want to be negative, but the fact is, Jordan Walker is more of a liability at point guard. She makes a good play every now and then, but the careless passes and turnovers are killers.

I do not believe she will see much time the other people we have coming in. I want to see us push the ball up the court much faster and not allow defenses to set up.

I am very excited about next year. We will have a bunch of players who will hustle for 40 minutes. Too many of our games this year were close simply because we did not hustle and fight for the ball for 40 minutes; only 12 to 15, maybe. We won the game against Belmont with the big shot by Sara Puckett, but they embarrassed us with their hustle. That should never happen. Having bad shooting nights will happen, but we SHOULD NEVER BE OUTHUSTLED. That is something we can absolutely control.
You are absolutely spot on with your evaluation of walker, she is weak

You very much underestimate her. She is a natural 2 and I believe will be a big contributor next year. Given the depth we have I think a lot of players will be between 15-25 minutes a game. What a luxury.
She can’t shoot nor is she big enough to guard the 2 spot, she is a liability

Tamari, Marta, Rickea, Jordan Horston, Jordan Walker

Then lots of good play off the bench.
I like this SL but I think Jordan W will be starter. JW has, in my view, been the unsung hero of this year's squad and I believe she has so much more give as the LVs march to a National Championship. Let's get'em.

Starters/Bench
PG-Powell/Miles/Eddy
SG-Walker/Wynn/Rennie
SF-Hortson/Tess/Pissott
PF-Jackson/Puckett/Marta
C-Key/Striplin/Sanders

Kellie will not rush Pissott and with the team we will have, hopefully we will have a lot of leads and get to get a lot of time for our reserves during non-conference play.

This lineup is my take if no one leaves and I still think we could add at least one more 5 player
This is the ticket. This SL gets the LVs to the Final Four. Count on it.

You are absolutely spot on with your evaluation of walker, she is weak

What's the standard she is being evaluated against? "Weak" seems quite a stretch for any reasonable expectation. She is a starter on a sweet 16 team and has made big contributions to get us where we are now. If the standard is Michael Jordan then I'll agree she is weak. She is however one of the better guards in the SEC and worthy of a bit more respect than she gets from some here.

I’m just not as sold on Marta as some are. Don’t get me wrong, she is good and adds depth but I don’t see her ever stating next year.
Of course we haven't seen Marta play in a while, but its really hard for me to see her beating out Puckett for starting or minutes. I think Sara is going to be a star.

Always a new challenge, I think it now shifts to managing minutes and roles for KJH. And protecting the wonderful culture she's built. I don't think she should bring in any more players. It's already going to be hard to get meaningful mins for all these players. I see Darby in particular as struggling for mins. Too many players now who can do what she does, only better.

The current team, with all they've been though, will always be the foundational building block for the New Lady Vols!

this thread is the height of projection - live in the reality of an ongoing season. frankly I think you'll should be ashamed giving up on the current team - which is how I interpret the responses.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
I’m guessing Miles gets asked to leave after the season is over. Part of the reason why getting a PG in the portal was so important. I hope I’m wrong because I really like Miles.
200w.gif

Where did that epiphany come from.

VN Store

Back