Next Tennessee Big Man

Tennessee is recruiting with a spot open for 2019, there currently isn’t one so they know somebody is leaving...Jalen Johnson and Walker are continuing to get minutes, while Kent is practicing he isn’t playing at all, call it an educated guess.

I don’t think height really matters that much in terms of what you define as a “big man”.

You can still be tall and not have any basketball skills.

Williams is only 6’7 but plays more like he’s 6’10.

He’s strong and can finish around the rim through contact.

Potential player of the year candidate and 1st round NBA draft pick. I’d say his lack of height isn’t affecting his game much.

Kent is battling an injury and hopefully he can play next season. UT signed Drew Pember a 6'10 kid from Bearden who will be added to the interior mix next season along with Fulkerson and Walker and Burns and Kent so CRB will have plenty of interior options to replace Alexander.

Kent is battling an injury and hopefully he can play next season. UT signed Drew Pember a 6'10 kid from Bearden who will be added to the interior mix next season along with Fulkerson and Walker and Burns and Kent so CRB will have plenty of interior options to replace Alexander.
Pember likely redshirts

Reactions: sport3500
Well they’ve already got DJ Burns on the roster for next year so should be good

That surely gives Tennessee a good start; however with Alexander gone, and if Kent is gone, I would fully expect them to try and land another big man.

7 footers in the lineup means all 5 can't switch when screened.

7 footers that have skills are really pretty rare.

Extra long arms make up for not as much height. Alexander has really long arms. So does Pons. I think that Williams has long arms as well.

Pember needs strength and endurance. OTOH he can drop threes.

If you wanted to see potential posts ,(4's and 5's), you should have been in the gym at McCallie School this weekend. IMG and Hamilton Heights were there. The HH big man is a very tall DE/OT with good footwork.

That surely gives Tennessee a good start; however with Alexander gone, and if Kent is gone, I would fully expect them to try and land another big man.
That’s why they’re recruiting Kessler, if they don’t land him I would expect them pursue a graduate transfer big

I find Fulkerson for the most part to be awful and is there simply to give Williams and Alexander a break. I cringe every time he touches the ball.

Reactions: jbr82
I really do believe that Grant is gone to the NBA next year. The only thing he lacks in this development is the three point shot. And he’s proven he can hit him if he’s asked to.

I fully expect Zach Kent to start next year. Barnes is high on him. Plus he hasn’t played because of an injury before or at the beginning of the season I believe

I'm not sure he ever plays here again

Last edited:
If you knew that you'd be aware that Fulkerson isn't for the most part awful. He's probably the best on the team at disrupting passing lanes and deflecting passes.

You should get a message to Barnes and maybe he won't play him anymore.
He's got a great motor too. He ran two USCjr players out of gas trying to defend him.

Pember needs strength and endurance. OTOH he can drop threes.

If you wanted to see potential posts ,(4's and 5's), you should have been in the gym at McCallie School this weekend. IMG and Hamilton Heights were there. The HH big man is a very tall DE/OT with good footwork.

Where does Jotoboh end up?

Kyle isn’t 7’ either, neither is GW...why do we need a 7 footer?

Alexander gives us legit size at the position. He has been an eraser when needed. His impact is most needed on the defensive end first. A 6'9" Alexander is not nearly as effective as a 6'11".

Haven't we even heard and know the Vols struggle more against length than just about anything. Do you really want a short team going against the regular multiple 7 footer Calpari likes to have at Kentucky for the very reason Catbone feels like you want some size in the post.

I would feel better if Fulkerson or Walker were at least showing consistent progress. They are nothing more than rest breaks and surprises when they score. On defense Fulkerson is good for a good hacking call while Walker gets lost.

Walker has played significantly better since SEC play. If he works on his FTs over the summer he’ll at least be a good 7th man type next year if he didn’t start.

I think Fulk is just a bit too inconsistent for some Vol fans. More good than bad to me, but people definitely focus on the bad because it’s a bit more obvious (he needs to work on a jumpshot and catching the ball like Alexander over the summer). If you look at his advanced stats, his rebounding is actually decent, so I think if he improves like Alexander did this year, he will be a good starter. The foundation is there. If he doesn’t improve, he’s still a serviceable 7th/8th man on a good team.

Reactions: Big time vol

VN Store

Back