Next gen console power (PS5 and Xbox Series X)

I'm so far behind on playing the must have games that by the time I get to the playing them, I can get the game of the year additions with all the dlc for 20 bucks.

I just recently started GTA V.

And I thought I was behind. This is actually a great way to play though. Games are cheap, and there’s plenty of reviews so you know what you’re getting.

I play the same way but I’m about 6 to 12 months behind. The only exception is usually the Final Fantasy games I typically buy at or very close to launch.

I've played games more recent than GTA V. Normally I'm a year or so behind. Sometimes I get burned out playing similar game types so it puts me behind sometimes and I don't play like I used to.

I got the past 3 Battlefields either day of release or a month later. Single player games I tend to lag on sometimes.

Not really a surprise to me. I mean how much better COULD graphics actually get? I feel like we've reached a point where graphics are near the best they can get and now systems are using extra power/memory for things like load times, field of view, lighting and effects ect.

We will see ray tracing, higher-res textures, better particle effects, longer/more detailed draw distance and faraway objects, better volumetric lighting, and better AA/higher resolutions. There's still a lot of room for improvement.

VR is the next big frontier in gaming. I'm telling you, once they get the tech, the form factor, and the price just right, nobody will be able to deny it. There will be no going back. The experiences in VR are on a whole different level from playing in front of your TV. I was a skeptic until I tried it myself but when I did I was blown away!

As far as traditional gaming goes, everything now is incremental. We will see improvements over current gen for sure but we are never getting that "Mario 64" moment again. Games will display prettier, run smoother, and load faster but nothing will fundamentally change the way we play games next gen. VR really is that next step in moving gaming forward to a new level.

Last edited:
VR is the next big frontier in gaming. I'm telling you, once they get the tech, the form factor, and the price just right, nobody will be able to deny it. There will be no going back. The experiences in VR are on a whole different level from playing in front of your TV. I was a skeptic until I tried it myself but when I did I was blown away!

As far as traditional gaming goes, everything now is incremental. We will see improvements over current gen for sure but we are never getting that "Mario 64" moment again. Games will display prettier, run smoother, and load faster but nothing will fundamentally change the way we play games next gen. VR really is that next step in moving gaming forward to a new level.

I definitely agree that VR is the future. That said, I think we might be 10 years away from VR beginning to enter the mainstream. Once the following are achieved there will be nothing to hold it back:

- Lightweight, cordless, self-contained headset (i.e., the headset is self-powered)
- 4K per eye display
- Very long battery life
- 120 FPS, or whatever is necessary to avoid blur, stuttering, and unnatural slowdowns

All the ingredients are there except for super-powered mobile chips. But I have no doubt that by the end of the decade there will be Tegra-style chips that are capable of putting out graphics comparable to what we'll see on XSX and PS5, and displays will be cheap enough that 4K per eye will be a trivial cost.

Being able to casually slip on a massively powerful, lightweight headset with no cables and no way to detect individual pixels will be the "seamless" VR experience that will be necessary to convince the masses, IMO. It may actually happen a lot sooner than 2030. Smartphones went from "cool but unnecessary" to "absolutely essential" due to improvements in speed, screens, and battery life in the span of about 5 years.

I think this console generation may be what pushes the needle in that direction. Right now VR is still really niche, but these consoles seem to have the power to deliver really compelling experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I definitely agree that VR is the future. That said, I think we might be 10 years away from VR beginning to enter the mainstream. Once the following are achieved there will be nothing to hold it back:

- Lightweight, cordless, self-contained headset (i.e., the headset is self-powered)
- 4K per eye display
- Very long battery life
- 120 FPS, or whatever is necessary to avoid blur, stuttering, and unnatural slowdowns

All the ingredients are there except for super-powered mobile chips. But I have no doubt that by the end of the decade there will be Tegra-style chips that are capable of putting out graphics comparable to what we'll see on XSX and PS5, and displays will be cheap enough that 4K per eye will be a trivial cost.

Being able to casually slip on a massively powerful, lightweight headset with no cables and no way to detect individual pixels will be the "seamless" VR experience that will be necessary to convince the masses, IMO. It may actually happen a lot sooner than 2030. Smartphones went from "cool but unnecessary" to "absolutely essential" due to improvements in speed, screens, and battery life in the span of about 5 years.

I think this console generation may be what pushes the needle in that direction. Right now VR is still really niche, but these consoles seem to have the power to deliver really compelling experiences.

The biggest advancement i want to see is in range of view. What I mean is, theres still a bit of a "tunnel vision" effect with VR, like you're looking at everything through a viewfinder. Hopefully future iterations will dramatically open that up and eliminate that effect. They also need to solve locomotion because a lot of people do get motion sickness from VR.

Reactions: Aesius
The biggest advancement i want to see is in range of view. What I mean is, theres still a bit of a "tunnel vision" effect with VR, like you're looking at everything through a viewfinder. Hopefully future iterations will dramatically open that up and eliminate that effect. They also need to solve locomotion because a lot of people do get motion sickness from VR.

Yep, that's another big necessary improvement that I forgot to mention.

IMO VR will be another desktop computer rather than a smartphone. Smartphones are ultra light and portable so they've become ubiquitous. Even 85-year-old grandmas have them. But those same grandmas may be befuddled by computers. I think the same will happen with VR. It will be amazing and transformative once the technology matures, but not everyone will jump onboard right away or ever. The idea of closing off your vision in a headset is just too foreign to people, and VR has failed as a fad too many times. People have been aware of VR for decades but it was always janky. It will be tough to convince people that it's different now and is actually mind blowing.

It will be interesting to see how many awesome applications come out of VR. John Carmack thinks that instead of revolutionizing video games, its biggest applications will be in productivity, education, and even tourism. I think the locomotion issue as you mentioned will always be a limiting factor for gaming, but slower-paced experiences is where VR will shine. I've also thought about how cool it will be for movies. Once the resolution is high enough, it will be like having your own IMAX theater in your house. Or there could be movies and TV shows filmed where you are IN the movie/show and standing among the characters and can freely look around to see what's happening at any time.

Yep, that's another big necessary improvement that I forgot to mention.

IMO VR will be another desktop computer rather than a smartphone. Smartphones are ultra light and portable so they've become ubiquitous. Even 85-year-old grandmas have them. But those same grandmas may be befuddled by computers. I think the same will happen with VR. It will be amazing and transformative once the technology matures, but not everyone will jump onboard right away or ever. The idea of closing off your vision in a headset is just too foreign to people, and VR has failed as a fad too many times. People have been aware of VR for decades but it was always janky. It will be tough to convince people that it's different now and is actually mind blowing.

It will be interesting to see how many awesome applications come out of VR. John Carmack thinks that instead of revolutionizing video games, its biggest applications will be in productivity, education, and even tourism. I think the locomotion issue as you mentioned will always be a limiting factor for gaming, but slower-paced experiences is where VR will shine. I've also thought about how cool it will be for movies. Once the resolution is high enough, it will be like having your own IMAX theater in your house. Or there could be movies and TV shows filmed where you are IN the movie/show and standing among the characters and can freely look around to see what's happening at any time.

I think sporting and concert events are areas where the potential is huge with VR. Imagine having the NFL Sunday Ticket where you can sit virtually in every stadium on the 50 yard line? That would be incredible because it would allow you to sit in the comfort of your own home, but watch the game as you would if you were actually there! In other words, you wouldn't have to be forced to just follow the ball anymore. You can watch any aspect of the game like you would if you were actually in the stadium.

Reactions: Aesius
Gears 5 multiplayer is being updated to 120fps on series x according to digital foundry.

Based on what the PS5 is listed to have, I don't understand how it will be so cheap. It looks like the performance of it will be equal to a rtx 2080 ($700+) and something like a ryzen 3700x($200). Add in Blu-ray, a lighting fast SSD, mobo, ECT, you have to be looking at $1200+ in PC parts. How is that going to be possible to release at $499?

I'm looking forward to psvr2. I agree that VR is the future. Anyone who hasn't tried a quality VR game, should do it right away. VR is the best thing to happen to the game industry since polygons.

Last edited:
Reactions: gainesvol82
Based on what the PS5 is listed to have, I don't understand how it will be so cheap. It looks like the performance of it will be equal to a rtx 2080 ($700+) and something like a ryzen 3700x($200). Add in Blu-ray, a lighting fast SSD, mobo, ECT, you have to be looking at $1200+ in PC parts. How is that going to be possible to release at $499?

I'm looking forward to psvr2. I agree that VR is the future. Anyone who hasn't tried a quality VR game, should do it right away. VR is the best thing to happen to the game industry since polygons.

It will almost certainly be sold at a loss at first. Sony lost money on every PS3 it sold for a long time. It's interesting because the 360 and PS3 were very powerful when released, whereas the Xbox One and PS4 were somewhat underpowered (hence the half-step of PS4 Pro and X1X) at release. But I believe they still lost money for a while on the PS4, even though its parts weren't anything groundbreaking or pushing the limits of PCs at the time.

It's been reported that it costs Sony around 450.00 to manufacture each PS5. If Sony wanted to, they could choose to eat 50.00 of that cost and sell it for 399.99. However I fully believe that 499.99 will be the price.

There are several factors as to why the manufacturing cost of these consoles is less than equivalent PC components. For one, they buy these components in enormous bulk, driving the individual parts costs down. Also, remember that console architecture is fundamentally different than PC architecture. Consoles use an all in one "system on a chip" design that contains both CPU and GPU architecture on one diode. By their nature, consoles aren't modular like PC's are. You don't pull out an old graphics card and pop in a new one. You don't pop out an old CPU and put in a new one. These self contained, all in one boxes are just cheaper to make.

I strongly doubt it’ll perform like a 2080. It would cost too much money. On top of that, yes these demos look great but let’s not forget more times than not demos compared to the finished product are many times completely different. I’d be willing to bet the graphics will be downgraded. Consoles will never be on the same field as top tier PCs bc it would no longer be a practical option for the typical gamer.

I strongly doubt it’ll perform like a 2080. It would cost too much money. On top of that, yes these demos look great but let’s not forget more times than not demos compared to the finished product are many times completely different. I’d be willing to bet the graphics will be downgraded. Consoles will never be on the same field as top tier PCs bc it would no longer be a practical option for the typical gamer.

If you go back and watch the original Unreal 4 tech demo running on PS4, you can see that the console has matched and in some ways surpassed that demo. So if history has proven anything, it's that at some point the PS5 will start to produce games more impressive than what the Unreal 5 demo showed.

VN Store

Back