New way too early top 25

Not sure I agree with your assessment of SCs bench. I haven't seen enough of Feagin or Johnson yet and will the two freshmen even see the floor? If it's like last year they won't so i don't know how much of a factor they will be. In return, we have seen what the freshmen can do against top competition along with Jillian and Jasmine Franklin.

Not saying it's overwhelming but i don't know k exactly tip it heavily in SCs favor...
Watkins may not play much, but I bet Cooper will as one of the backups for Cooke and Beal.

I give the edge to SC's bench more because of players like Amihere and Cardoso. They have more upside than anyone on Tennessee's bench. Then you have someone like Johnson who was a recent HS POY. Tennessee's bench is more complementary pieces vs. ones that have the skillset to come in and take over.

I think Tennessee should be #5 behind Texas, Stanford, UConn, and South Carolina. Rori Harmon and Aliyah Moore will probably take the sophomore leap next year and they both showed a lot of promise in their first year. They were a big away from making the FF and I think they got that in Taylor Jones. I wouldn’t underestimate them especially with Vic coaching.

The other three teams are FF vets and has the experience factor of playing in the FF and what it takes to get there. Connecticut has been there 14 straight times with Stanford and SC going back to back times. All three teams lost key pieces but I don’t think it will be enough for any of them not to be the best 3 teams in the country. Stanford finally has a PG coming in with Indya Nivar very tough combo guard with size and a good shooting touch. I think replacing the Hulls and Wilson will be tough but they have Demetre ready off the bench and the Greek 6’3” guard who’s very good. The front court with Jones, Brink and Belibi remains and they added Betts. Stanford is going to be very tough.
Same for SC and UConn who probably will play each other again in the national championship IMO. Personally I think the SC sophomores will all take a leap that will help them tremendously and I think a healthy Bueckers will be playing with a vengeance! Next season will be another good one!

Watkins may not play much, but I bet Cooper will as one of the backups for Cooke and Beal.

I give the edge to SC's bench more because of players like Amihere and Cardoso. They have more upside than anyone on Tennessee's bench. Then you have someone like Johnson who was a recent HS POY. Tennessee's bench is more complementary pieces vs. ones that have the skillset to come in and take over.
Rivers was a HS POY too and Dawn barely brought her off the bench

I would beg to differ..
Tennessee returns 3 (Hollingshead, Puckett, and Miles) SEC freshmen this season who won SEC FR of the Week honors in some cases multiple times. Upside? In addition to that potentially a former starter @PG as a potential player off the bench in either Walker or Powell. The talent of an upcoming FR All-American in Justin Pissott alongside Striplin and Wynn puts Tennessee bench at second to none status to me. There’s another wildcard in Marta Suarez.
People will of course lean towards other teams and make a case but when they go head to head Tennessee will be equal to any team they face. Those are the facts.

I think Tennessee should be #5 behind Texas, Stanford, UConn, and South Carolina. Rori Harmon and Aliyah Moore will probably take the sophomore leap next year and they both showed a lot of promise in their first year. They were a big away from making the FF and I think they got that in Taylor Jones. I wouldn’t underestimate them especially with Vic coaching.

The other three teams are FF vets and has the experience factor of playing in the FF and what it takes to get there. Connecticut has been there 14 straight times with Stanford and SC going back to back times. All three teams lost key pieces but I don’t think it will be enough for any of them not to be the best 3 teams in the country. Stanford finally has a PG coming in with Indya Nivar very tough combo guard with size and a good shooting touch. I think replacing the Hulls and Wilson will be tough but they have Demetre ready off the bench and the Greek 6’3” guard who’s very good. The front court with Jones, Brink and Belibi remains and they added Betts. Stanford is going to be very tough.
Same for SC and UConn who probably will play each other again in the national championship IMO. Personally I think the SC sophomores will all take a leap that will help them tremendously and I think a healthy Bueckers will be playing with a vengeance! Next season will be another good one!

They lost their two most aggressive defenders and the heart and soul of their team in Warren and Allen-Taylor. That’s why I don’t think they’ll be as good. They will have better offense, but so far Harmon is a terrible defender.

Warren and Allen-Taylor both guarded really well and Warren could guard 1-4 making her a very versatile piece of what they did.

Reactions: Mr.Pivot
Sara Puckett made the biggest shot of her basketball career and during one of the biggest moments of the season as a freshman in the NCAA tourney… put respect on her name. When it comes to a 6th man or a bench player.. I can’t let anyone come on VolNation and claim there’s not any Tennessee players coming off the bench with more or the kind of upside than any SC player. Different positions.. still put Sara Puckett production in her 1st season up there with Cardosa or any SC bench player and tell me what do you get? Cardosa wasn’t asked to do nearly as much as Puckett was last season. Puckett isn’t just some complimentary piece. All-SEC Freshmen team speaks for itself.
She’s the real deal. And if a Vol fan believe that then folks we gotta call that out.. it’s bogus!

Stopped reading way before that...when I didn't see Tenn in the top 4. Creme has no credibility whatsoever, it's just waste of space and time.
Click bait at it's finest. When we finally get to NCAA selection shows he is always so confused as to why the teams he picked didn't end up anywhere near where he seeded them. But they still call him an expert smh.....

lol I think Sara Puckett has a ton of upside and if she comes off the bench will most likely be a 6th woman of the year candidate and i only say that because she is a starter in the making.

I do understand what u are saying about complimentary players and that's a testament to them being able to elevate the starters and just how good our team can be. I know we TN fans are super pumped.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No one knows what any of these players will look like freshman to sophomore. Some will advance quickly to another level and some will not. I'm not worried about any team in WCCB if Franklin has totally recovered to the player she was before the injury. Any team that can figure a plan to guard Franklin, Horston, and Jackson with the perimeter shooting of Pissott and Powell handing out the passes will be in the National Championship game. How you going to double team Key with Franklin, Jackson, Powell, and Horston in the lineup. Franklin has 180 career steals and 130 career blocks. I am 100 percent confident in her play if she is the same as before the injury. I'm totally convinced Tennessee is going to be very hard to handle and almost impossible to beat at home. I think we match up well with any team in WCCB and now we have to prove it. We have UConn and SC at home this could be a wonderful season for Tennessee.

Tennessee was 18-1 last season before going on a brutal road stretch with 4 freshmen playing major roles. Last season was the mystery, this season if healthy as a team then we do KNOW what to expect. Experience makes a big difference.

Last edited:
They lost their two most aggressive defenders and the heart and soul of their team in Warren and Allen-Taylor. That’s why I don’t think they’ll be as good. They will have better offense, but so far Harmon is a terrible defender.

Warren and Allen-Taylor both guarded really well and Warren could guard 1-4 making her a very versatile piece of what they did.

Harmon isn’t a good defender? :eek: She had like 6 steals one game in the Big12 Tournament championship and was sometimes a one woman pressing crew for them. I think Moore will be good defensively as well as Hunter who didn’t get much playing time. Matharu isn’t a bad defender either and they have some very athletic players coming in that are very versatile. Vic is in his 3rd year and already has a foundation in place they will be very tough.

Did Tennessee beat Texas on the road w/out Burrell? In that game, I actually thought Tennessee didn’t play particularly well. With the added weapons, I’ll give Tennessee the edge. Crème polls don’t carry much weight at all.

Harmon isn’t a good defender? :eek: She had like 6 steals one game in the Big12 Tournament championship and was sometimes a one woman pressing crew for them. I think Moore will be good defensively as well as Hunter who didn’t get much playing time. Matharu isn’t a bad defender either and they have some very athletic players coming in that are very versatile. Vic is in his 3rd year and already has a foundation in place they will be very tough.

I watched them the entire season. She got repeatedly benched for poor defense. At least 5-6 times I watched her get benched for standing and watching the play instead of getting back. The other team got an open layup.

Quick hands do not a defender make. Good halfcourt defense is about positioning and understanding. She might get a few steals but she was out of position more than she was in position because of it.

Did Tennessee beat Texas on the road w/out Burrell? In that game, I actually thought Tennessee didn’t play particularly well. With the added weapons, I’ll give Tennessee the edge. Crème polls don’t carry much weight at all.

Wasn’t on the road. Was in Knoxville, we were supposed to play in Austin in 2020 but the game was cancelled just before tip.

Something I’m still salty/suspicious about two years later lol.

I watched them the entire season. She got repeatedly benched for poor defense. At least 5-6 times I watched her get benched for standing and watching the play instead of getting back. The other team got an open layup.

Quick hands do not a defender make. Good halfcourt defense is about positioning and understanding. She might get a few steals but she was out of position more than she was in position because of it.

You obviously didn’t watch her in the NCAA tournament. I watched a different played you’re describing.

With the new additions, including Justine and Edie, this will be the most competitive team to ever wear the Lady Vol colors in many years....

We know what the competition is going to do...We know that UConn is going to rely on Paige, and Fudd, for most of their scoring...Each team has been scouted and diagnosed on where their strength and weaknesses are...

We are the only team in wcb that the competition has no blue print on how to defeat us....It's no longer the get the ball to Key to score attack, but instead the competition will be scrambling to find out who is our go to players when the game is on the line....

When these ladies and coaching staff, find out who plays well with each other, and who can be counted on to "make the needed shot" wcb will see what they have all dreaded, The return of the Lady Vols to prime time...

Coach Kellie knows how to climb a ladder....
328738.jpg.jpg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Tennessee looks good enough on paper right now to become the #1 team in WBB during the season. All we need is health. These predictions, game analysis, etc are good for discussion. Just part of sports. The players Tennessee added and the core returning is second to none. I loved the excitement our incoming players are showing to be apart of the LVs. They’re a family. They’re confident. I expect the staff to play at least 11 possibly 12 players every game. Teams won’t be able to match this kind of talent for 4 quarters. Can’t wait for the season to start.. I’ll take this roster against anyone in the country and I mean it. Teams like Texas, UConn, Stanford, and South Carolina don’t have any advantage over Tennessee.
Iowa has no business being ranked ahead of Tennessee.
Fun times on Rocky Top 🍊.

Oh my! Never forget the importance of coaching on how a team of players perform. Perhaps better stated, never forget the lack of coaching on the way a team performs. Not sure Kellie could make this a top 10 team even with Lebron James playing.

I dnt think it would be a game to be honest maybe close in the first half depending on where the game is played
Agreed Iowa is good against Big Ten and Mid Major Teams. SEC top half and ACC teams and most likely even PAC 12 teams would make them look mediocre in which they are imo . Indiana i would give more praise to than Iowa if history was the reason for ranking ? Iowa does not even have a history so scratch that theory. Its the Caitlin Clark effect clearly .

I dont find his rankings that objectionable. South Carolina as a pre-season #1 is going to be universal. Uconn should be really good. Stanford, check. I think Texas and particularly Iowa are "iffey" picks but not outrageous. Tennessee as 6th is fine. I hope the all polling services put us in the 6-10 range. Nice to be more of underdog working their way up and upsetting the favorites.

It really doesn't matter if Creme picked us at #1 or #28. This is a maybe, what-if? poll.

It's just an out of season poll if we are #6 on the poll no big deal.if we were ranked #1 on the poll also no big deal at this time of the year

Oh my! Never forget the importance of coaching on how a team of players perform. Perhaps better stated, never forget the lack of coaching on the way a team performs. Not sure Kellie could make this a top 10 team even with Lebron James playing.
She coached last years team to higher ranking than that before injuries caught up with us. May want to pick some other statistic to hang your hat on.

VN Store

Back