New Tennessee metal

Oops. Probably a Timber. Don't like them either. We went hiking at Roan Mountain, years and years ago. My brother and I were hungry. Mom said she'd take us back to the car. Daddy wanted to walk through the trees, off the path. Which he did. Alan and I were eating sammiches and swinging our legs off the back end of the station wagon. Daddy emerged, and he looked like he was going to pass out. Three folks came out behind him. Knee high rubber boots, hoisting a branch with 2 Timber rattlers on it. Daddy said: I just walked through that area in tennis shoes.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
I agree with the mountain theme. Guess Shelby county wouldn't like it though. When I moved to Atlanta (1979,) I had a Toyota Corolla with a Colorado plate and a Tennessee driver's license. The officer who pulled me over (outdated plate) said: You need to decide where you live. The plate looked like this...

1648219647710.jpeg

I used to know several counties by the first numbers on the plate. They were listed in order of population ….Shelby was 1, Davidson was 2, Knox was 3 and etc.
Here is the list.... the numbers changed a few times except for the largest counties. I had forgot about that (we had 17 then 13... then I moved to either a 2 or 8).

Tennessee County Codes

Reactions: Juanita
Does anyone know what is going on with these plates?

2022_1000_BlueTristar__007_.jpg
I saw one of these yesterday, with white letters and numbers. It wasn’t that bad. It’s definitely a dramatic change.

Sullivan county has ALWAYS been 5...due to the large number of rednecks that live/exist here.

Not a Tennessee plate, but I snapped this: BWHEAT. I wanted to pull the driver over and ask what it meant. "Buckwheat?" "Buy Whatever Honey, EAT?" "Braves Win Hell (yeah) EAT?" It's a pretty tag. I'm impressed bc Virginians are stupider than Tennesseans. And they sure can't drive.
1651154517069.jpeg

Virginia custom tags are very common because they're just so cheap. I actually didn't have any uncustomized tag for years. That was a long time ago, but it was just a pittance. TN charged $60 for a long time, and really, I guess that's not bad, but it's not trivial. I have two of them, and they come due the same month, so it hurts more. Plus I'm about to put a Navy blue tag on a red collector car. And pay extra to do it.

Virginia custom tags are very common because they're just so cheap. I actually didn't have any uncustomized tag for years. That was a long time ago, but it was just a pittance. TN charged $60 for a long time, and really, I guess that's not bad, but it's not trivial. I have two of them, and they come due the same month, so it hurts more. Plus I'm about to put a Navy blue tag on a red collector car. And pay extra to do it.
I’ve got the white antique tag on my red vintage vehicle

I think it sucks that we have to pay for these new Tennessee plates and put them on whether we wanted them or not. I didn't. This, on top of the fact that new license plates depend on whether there is money available in the state budget to do them. There was this fiscal year. So if the money is there, and they make us replace our old plates, we shouldn't have to pay the fee for the new plate in addition, as well as having to take plates off and put new ones on. Government in Tennessee as usual.

I'm in Knoxville, and our county mayor, Glenn Jacobs, made a public statement last week that there would be no property tax increase. This was just a few weeks after it was announced that the County reassessed all properties. Most all of our assessments went up and so did our property taxes. Mine is going up probably $200 a year - for probably forever or until they raise the assessments again.

Lovely. Death and taxes and lying politicians.

I think it sucks that we have to pay for these new Tennessee plates and put them on whether we wanted them or not. I didn't. This, on top of the fact that new license plates depend on whether there is money available in the state budget to do them. There was this fiscal year. So if the money is there, and they make us replace our old plates, we shouldn't have to pay the fee for the new plate in addition, as well as having to take plates off and put new ones on. Government in Tennessee as usual.

I'm in Knoxville, and our county mayor, Glenn Jacobs, made a public statement last week that there would be no property tax increase. This was just a few weeks after it was announced that the County reassessed all properties. Most all of our assessments went up and so did our property taxes. Mine is going up probably $200 a year - for probably forever or until they raise the assessments again.

Lovely. Death and taxes and lying politicians.
The amount you pay in taxes won’t go up. You property assessment goes up but the tax per assessed value goes down proportionally…if you live in Knoxville proper the city mayor is pushing for basically a doubling of your property tax. Hopefully you live in the county and sleep well tonight

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think by law they "state" have to change the design of the plates every so many years.

Don't you always pay to have your plate renewed? It just happens to be a whole new plate this time around.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think by law they "state" have to change the design of the plates every so many years.

Don't you always pay to have your plate renewed? It just happens to be a whole new plate this time around.
Yeah I wasn't charged for the plate, just had to pay my annual registration fee and they sent the new one.

Correct

How many years?
Every 8 years.

Under Tennessee law, the plate may be redesigned every eight years if funds are approved in the General Assembly’s annual budget. This new license plate design will replace the current plate design launched in 2006, with modifications in 2011, 2016, and 2017.

VN Store

Back