New SEC Divisions

I fully expect that. How are you going to tell a kid who's making a million dollars to go sit in a Psych 101 lecture?

You don’t. It’s their choice to attend class or not.

And it’s the school’s choice to enforce or ignore compliance standards if that kid chooses not to go to class.

I think NIL will speed all of this up. A decade from now we wont recognize the college football landscape. OU and TX coming to the SEC is a baby step. We aren't running or even walking yet.

You could be right. I definitely don't have a crystal ball. I expected the Big XII to die when their rights came up, but I'd be lying if I said that I was expecting OU and Texas to announce the move in July of 2021.

Reactions: RhodesVol
I agree with all of that. I just think we're at least another decade before those next moves occur.

Another thing that will come with NIL that will benefit the universities is that "scholarships" will be replaced by "contracts" and you better believe that these kids will be signing contracts that give "X" percent of the kid's endorsement deal money to the university for use of their facilities and playing on their field.

You don’t. It’s their choice to attend class or not.

And it’s the school’s choice to enforce or ignore compliance standards if that kid chooses not to go to class.

I hear you but I have to think that over time as more coaches lose players due to situations like that, and they will, the Nick Sabans of the world will push for the removal of the academic factor for player eligibility. Hide and watch!

23 Teams in 1932. No divisions. worked fine then.

1932 Southern Conference football standings
Conf Overall Team W L T W L T

Tennessee +7–0–1 9–0–1
Auburn +6–0–1 9–0–1
LSU +4–0–0 6–3–1
VPI6–1–0 8–1–0
Vanderbilt4–1–2 6–1–2
NC State3–1–1 6–1–2
Alabama5–2–0 8–2–0
Tulane5–2–1 6–2–1
Duke5–3–0 7–3–0
Georgia Tech4–4–1 4–5–1
Kentucky4–5–0 4–5–0
Virginia2–3–0 5–4–0
Ole Miss2–3–0 5–6–0
Georgia2–4–2 2–5–2
Maryland2–4–0 5–6–0
North Carolina2–5–1 3–5–2
South Carolina1–2–1 5–4–2
VMI1–4–0 2–8–0
Washington and Lee1–4–0 1–9–0
Florida1–6–0 3–6–0
Clemson0–4–0 3–5–1
Mississippi State0–4–0 3–5–0
Sewanee0–6–0 2–7–1

Reactions: LittleVol
I hear you but I have to think that over time as more coaches lose players due to situations like that, and they will, the Nick Sabans of the world will push for the removal of the academic factor for player eligibility. Hide and watch!

The sky just isn’t falling in my world over all this.

Schools have relaxed academic standards and created bogus “student-athlete curriculum” to keep kids eligible long before NIL and I don’t see that changing because kids get to make money now.

Last edited:

With NIL, these kids are paid professionals and not student athletes. That's just the reality. I think the "student" part will be abandoned eventually sooner rather than later.

I mean all good football schools have ultra low barriers for academics already. Now they wont have to pretend and keep up the façade anymore.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
For that matter, what does Clemson bring to the table? The fact that they're really good st football at the moment doesn't make the state of South Carolina any more populated. They'd be worthwhile to the Big 10, but they aren't helping the SEC.

ehhh, this is your hubris talking. That's a dangerous way to think. You have a chance to get Clemson, you get Clemson. You have to take along some trash teams, you do that too. If anything else, it gives you one more team to beat every year.

ehhh, this is your hubris talking. That's a dangerous way to think. You have a chance to get Clemson, you get Clemson. You have to take along some trash teams, you do that too. If anything else, it gives you one more team to beat every year.

But what if Clemson resorts to their mean? You can't just look at the next few years. You have to assume this is an indefinite relationship.

But what if Clemson resorts to their mean? You can't just look at the next few years. You have to assume this is an indefinite relationship.

If any team regresses to their mean, they don't look too hot. But if we are talking about ACC teams that have the potential to excel in any given period of time, I think Clemson counts as a great pick up as well as FSU and Miami. North Carolina and VT are also solid "gets".

Then if you consider basketball, the ACC brings tremendous credibility and an instant boost to the SEC

I foresee a 12 team playoff model coming soon. And from what I know, that’s one reason OU is tossing out the bait. Don’t know about Texas. Another reason is the OU AD told the Big 12 commish to stick it, that the continuous 11am kickoff times was bs and they were done. Bowlsby reportedly told OU tuff shat. Can’t say I blame them as they are the face of the Big 12 and if the commish won’t get you at least SOME prime time tv slots, I’d tell the commish to go f himself as well. I know that they won’t always get prime time tv slots in the SEC but damn.....

It's money, $30 million more per year, as well as prestige, recruiting and the recognition that the B12 was soon to be extinct.

OK could get into about 60% of the CFPs with B12 membership, 80% with 12 teams.

7 teams on both sides of the Mississippi River. Play 9 game SEC schedule rotating each year

Actually don't mind this. UGA and UF would finally have to play Bama every year and we get to keep all of our current rivals. If this ever happened there would no doubt be a chorus of whines from the sad wing of our fanbase that wants us to join the ACC and drop all hard games

A few years back, Tennessee was not doing too well. I am sure it was duuring the Bill Battle era. Anyway, I had a day off from school, and went with my Dad where he worked. Somebody in his office had a joke future schedule. Among the teams they had listed was Farragut High School, Tennessee School for the Blind, a nursing home team, and a Girl Scout troop. Wish I had hung onto that thing. But I am sure someone could make an updated version. Next time the whiners get their panties in a bunch, hand them a copy. It might calm them down somehow.

My version:
New SEC West: Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M
New SEC East: Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt.

Play all 7 teams in you conference plus 2 teams from the other conference on a rotating basis. No exceptions.

You’re dreaming

Tennessee would have to work like heck to win the East Division

Win the division? We have thousands of miles ahead of us before we can even compete with the majority of teams in the East, let alone work our way up to be a .500 team in the East.

VN Store

Back