New SEC Divisions

I don't see those mergers happening. I think the four remaining conferences will stand pat for a bit. The ACC and Pac 12 will pick over the bones of the Big XII, and Notre Dame will join the ACC for real.

I agree.

Not to mention, if im the sec, im not taking everybody.

Wake forest brings nothing. And for fun, I’d let Duke rot. It would kill their basketball program faster than Thanos can snap his fingers

I agree.

Not to mention, if im the sec, im not taking everybody.

Wake forest brings nothing. And for fun, I’d let Duke rot. It would kill their basketball program faster than Thanos can snap his fingers

For that matter, what does Clemson bring to the table? The fact that they're really good st football at the moment doesn't make the state of South Carolina any more populated. They'd be worthwhile to the Big 10, but they aren't helping the SEC.

East is brutal

New SEC West: Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M

New SEC East: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt

My version:
New SEC West: Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M
New SEC East: Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt.

Play all 7 teams in you conference plus 2 teams from the other conference on a rotating basis. No exceptions.

I'm more in favor of the 8 and 8 divisions at this point. We already play Bama every year anyways so it doesn't matter that much they get moved to the East. Auburn is no more a better program really than Texas or OU. Tennessee has been down a long time. People will spin it as there are 4 powers in each division

Auburn, Bama, UF and UGA.
A&M, Texas, OU and LSU.

Now if UT every gets rolling, maybe the East will have 5 powers compared to the Wears Four but that's not the case atm.

I just hope the remainder of the Big 12 separates and spreads out to the rest of the conferences. But I just don't see enough brands to form these. "four 16 team power conferences".

SEC will have ; Bama, Auburn, UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, A&M, OU. That's 8 legit top 25 brands if not top 15 brands in all of college football.

Big 10 would have 3. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. Adding Iowa State (yes they're hot right now) and a Kansas school doesn't do much for them.

ACC has three. Clemson, FSU and Miami. FSU and Miami aren't what they used to be either. They could add WVU and am AAC team but so what?

PAC could add all the raining Texas teams fr the Big 12 and Okie State but still. They'd have USC, and Oregon. So 2.

Just not enough big name brands to go around.

IMO, TXAM and Mizzou should have never been admitted to the SEC. Think about it for just a moment. SEC..."Southeastern Conference"...and neither TXAM or Mizzou fit the bill, geographically or by any other measure. Does history count for anything anymore?

It was a mistake, it's done, and there's no undoing it. So now, I don't give a crap if they bring New Mexico, Utah, Alaska, and Hawaii into the SEC. Screw the history; ignore the geography; and just go for the money. The SEC hasn't been the SEC since Arkansas joined. Anything west of the Mississippi is not, by any stretch of a map or the imagination, the southeast, or the SEC.

There are a number of teams that could have and would have made more sense from a geographical standpoint. The fact that the SEC chose to go in a different direction tells you that the SEC leadership doesn't care at all about keeping the "SE" in the SEC. They just want to make as much money as they can off of a brand that was built over decades by teams that are actually in the southeast.

"Southeastern Conference", my butt. Right now we're the "Southeast of Kansas" conference. Adding Texas and OU will only require us to move the reference point west to Colorado, at which point we'd technically be the "SEC" again, so...why not?

Sometimes, it's about more than just the money. Or should be.

Go Vols.

Reactions: tbh
East is brutal

New SEC West: Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M

New SEC East: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt

Yep,
That division breakdown makes sense.

It puts OU, Arkansas, Texas, T-A&M, and Missouri in the west to crank back up their old rivalry's.

On my end the Vols admin could care less about making a rebound, they have not stepped up to pay a top head coach the right amount of $ for about 10 + years.

The funny thing is FLA won't be heading to the SEC champ game either.

Texas will be coming in the SEC and firing up 4 divisions does not make sense of who gets into the SEC title game.

I agree if I understand correctly. Like the people who say LeBron Sucks because isn't the best basketball player of all time bit most would say top 5 and maybe 2nd. So if you arent MJ you suck? 😆

None of the other greats would quit and leave the gym with time left on the clock, so yes, LeBron does suck.

I think the 4 pods will make the most sense. Won’t be called pods when it’s official. It will be North, South, East, and West

I hope that's not what they do. I'd rather have two 8 team divisions and play our 7 divisional opponents, 2 rotating west opponents, and 3 OOC opponents. If a kid stays at least 4 years he will have faced all 15 of the other SEC teams at least once.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
For that matter, what does Clemson bring to the table? The fact that they're really good st football at the moment doesn't make the state of South Carolina any more populated. They'd be worthwhile to the Big 10, but they aren't helping the SEC.
They’ve got a lot of fans and viewers in Piedmont and Mountain NC. App State loyalty can only be taken so far. NC ACC football is pretty dreary.

If a kid doesn’t go to class, he won’t make good enough grades to remain eligible to play.

Now that universities stand to make a ton more money off of their players and recruiting will be even more bloody and brutal, you will the already thin veil of the "student athlete" torn to shreds. Everyone except the most elite schools will lower their academic standards for athletes to the same level and finally we will stop pretending that football and basketball players are "getting an education". Academics will no longer be a barrier to getting a player on the field.

That is exactly the SEC schedule Tennessee played in 2018 less Mizzou. And other than Auburn its the same schedule Tennessee plays every year (less Missouri) so the biggest change will be to the other schools in the East. They get a piece of that Alabama ass every year.....
Yes yes and yes.. UT has always had a tough schedule. Throw Bama at UF and UGA and viceaversa. They deserve each other. One of them walks away with a L after they play and that is a good thing. Only harder thing for us is picking up Auburn. Not near the burden.

Reactions: wmcovol
Now that universities stand to make a ton more money off of their players and recruiting will be even more bloody and brutal, you will the already thin veil of the "student athlete" torn to shreds. Everyone except the most elite schools will lower their academic standards for athletes to the same level and finally we will stop pretending that football and basketball players are "getting an education". Academics will no longer be a barrier to getting a player on the field.

Schools have been making “tons of money” off the players for decades.

NIL is the end result of that, now the players can make money in plain sight also.

Regarding academics, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. As it stands now, kids who don’t make grades can’t play, whether they’re Bryce Young or the 3rd string long snapper.

I don't see those mergers happening. I think the four remaining conferences will stand pat for a bit. The ACC and Pac 12 will pick over the bones of the Big XII, and Notre Dame will join the ACC for real.

Those mergers arent going to happen in the next 5 years, but I think they will happen. In business, larger businesses consume/eliminate their competition all the time, even when the competition is far inferior and adds little/no value because of the savings that comes from not having competition and the benefits of having a de-facto monopoly on the sport. The amount of money the SEC can command when they basically control the entire eastern half of the US (minus the midwestern states) will be tremendous, especially when ESPN itself is near/surrounded by that footprint.

Does Wake Forrest bring a lot to the table? No. But who says the SEC takes ALL the ACC teams? They just have to take enough of them that the ACC no longer exists and there's no competition left there.

Those mergers arent going to happen in the next 5 years, but I think they will happen. In business, larger businesses consume/eliminate their competition all the time, even when the competition is far inferior and adds little/no value because of the savings that comes from not having competition and the benefits of having a de-facto monopoly on the sport. The amount of money the SEC can command when they basically control the entire eastern half of the US (minus the midwestern states) will be tremendous, especially when ESPN itself is near/surrounded by that footprint.

Does Wake Forrest bring a lot to the table? No. But who says the SEC takes ALL the ACC teams? They just have to take enough of them that the ACC no longer exists and there's no competition left there.

I agree with all of that. I just think we're at least another decade before those next moves occur.

Reactions: MWAVolfan
I agree with all of that. I just think we're at least another decade before those next moves occur.

I think NIL will speed all of this up. A decade from now we wont recognize the college football landscape. OU and TX coming to the SEC is a baby step. We aren't running or even walking yet.

Reactions: bamawriter

You may be spot on with a decade as the number. Just think, A&M and Missouri joined the SEC approximately 10 years ago. Now the league is poaching the two biggest draws from the remaining BIG12. We anticipate that will officially come to fruition in a year or two, as they debate the finer points of the tv-rights deal, buyouts, potential lawsuits, etc.

Then, I could see there be a short time for everyone to watch and see how it works. Is the move successful?

That being said, everything is in flux right now. No one knows how the NIL, the one-time transfer, or realignment will affect college football, and essentially the sport is in a trial and error stage until they figure it out.

Reactions: bamawriter

VN Store

Back