New QB being Installed During Offweek

The defense probably regressed because we played two top five teams. Don't you think? It's not like we didn't see the issues against S. Carolina and Missouri. It just didn't cost us the games.

We didn't win time of possession against Missouri or South Carolina, either. Again, I'm not arguing that miserable offense hasn't cost us, I'm just not willing to attribute many of the obvious issues we see on the defensive side of the ball to morale issues over who the quarterback is.
Agree with Alabama offense. Georgia is limited at Qb with Bennett. Kentucky’s offense doesn’t impress me at all. We were playing good defense against Kentucky in the 1st half. Kentucky is the perfect example of JG’s pick 6 Td’s completely demoralizing the defense in the 2nd half.

I hear you. It's been about 25 years since I've been inside the mind of a college age man, haha, so I really don't know what they might be thinking. But it does seem logical to me that over time QB issues would drag down the morale on a curve. frankly, I think any unresolved issue that's allowed to go on over time without being corrected would affect morale increasingly as the season goes on. Including how our defensive shortcomings can affect the offense as well.
Like you, I'm a little too old to guess what college age kids might be thinking. lol.

I didn't feel like our staff coached to win yesterday, and that's one of the most frustrating things.

In reality, we're only one game behind where I hoped we'd be, regardless of how bad we looked the last three weeks. We have two weeks to correct the issues and to get things back on track. I still think it can be done.
I agree about the staff quitting and you will see many posts from me regarding the play calling starting in the 3rd Qtr. if we had tried to get first downs on the 1st drive like we did later on a 3rd qtr drive then the score may have been 28-17. I’m not upset we lost to Georgia and Alabama. I’m upset with the coaching decisions that hindered our ability to be more competitive. Kentucky is a whole different story. I am very bullish on being competitive and the effect it will have on current and future recruiting. I think that if Mim’s was on the fence regarding Georgia/UT then our performance did not help our chances. Same logic applies to the other recruits we are battling for.

Agree with Alabama offense. Georgia is limited at Qb with Bennett. Kentucky’s offense doesn’t impress me at all. We were playing good defense against Kentucky in the 1st half. Kentucky is the perfect example of JG’s pick 6 Td’s completely demoralizing the defense in the 2nd half.
That wasn't the case against Alabama, South Carolina or Missouri, though. And defensive issues showed in all of those games.

Anyway, off to watch the World Series. Go Rays!

I agree about the staff quitting and you will see many posts from me regarding the play calling starting in the 3rd Qtr. if we had tried to get first downs on the 1st drive like we did later on a 3rd qtr drive then the score may have been 28-17. I’m not upset we lost to Georgia and Alabama. I’m upset with the coaching decisions that hindered our ability to be more competitive. Kentucky is a whole different story. I am very bullish on being competitive and the effect it will have on current and future recruiting. I think that if Mim’s was on the fence regarding Georgia/UT then our performance did not help our chances. Same logic applies to the other recruits we are battling for.
We didn't expect to win but everyone wanted to see a moral victory. I get it, a test to see where your program is compared to the best. Regardless, the important stretch for where we are as a program starts in two weeks.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

I think the first half ky had like 75 yards total offense, jg sucked the life out of the team.

Fair enough. I see signs of it.

It's pretty evident we've had issues on defense all year. Our defense gave up roughly 400 yards of total offense to South Carolina in week 1. Its hard for me to believe there were signs of low team morale at this point. We had one of the longest active winning streaks in college football and there seemed to be a lot positive energy surrounding the direction of the program.

That being said, I'm just as disappointed in quarterback play this year as the next guy. I am all for putting JG on the bench if we have a better option, but the issues that we've seen on defense go far beyond low morale caused by JG. Its blows my mind to see the extent to which our fan base will go to bash players.

CFB is about talent. Saban and Dabo dont know more about football than other people, they just walk on the field with superior talent.

Pruiit hasnt really done a great job of recruiting and for that reason he walks on the field with average talent and gets his doors blown off.
It's really hard to even entertain this after getting dog walked by Kentucky. We have way superior talent compared to Kentucky. So your argument doesn't really hold any water.

Reactions: Tnphil
It's pretty evident we've had issues on defense all year. Our defense gave up roughly 400 yards of total offense to South Carolina in week 1. Its hard for me to believe there were signs of low team morale at this point. We had one of the longest active winning streaks in college football and there seemed to be a lot positive energy surrounding the direction of the program.

That being said, I'm just as disappointed in quarterback play this year as the next guy. I am all for putting JG on the bench if we have a better option, but the issues that we've seen on defense go far beyond low morale caused by JG. Its blows my mind to see the extent to which our fan base will go to bash players.
I think the possible morale problems started with the manner in how we were blown out in the 2nd half of the Georgia game. That is when all the s**t hit the fan and continues today. The break could not happen at a better time.

It's really hard to even entertain this after getting dog walked by Kentucky. We have way superior talent compared to Kentucky. So your argument doesn't really hold any water.
That same KY team got beat by Mizzou and a 1st year coach yesterday....KY had 155 yards of offense and the KY QB we couldn't stop threw for around 20 yards yesterday I heard them say.

Plus Saban specifically has made some great game decisions especially the introduction of Tua in the NC game. Did you notice how Saban gave Young quality snaps Saturday? Pruitt has the same opportunity but waited too late to put Maurer in. He also could have given Bailey snaps.

Reactions: cgrish

Ah...so you live in this fictional world where the team that wins is always the more talented team?

We really dont have superior talent to KY in the trenches, btw.

Ah...so you live in this fictional world where the team that wins is always the more talented team?
We do have more talent than Kentucky. That should of been a 20 point win. The pick 6’s killed us and demoralized the whole team. Kentucky proved how good they are with their most recent performance.

We do have more talent than Kentucky. That should of been a 20 point win. The pick 6’s killed us and demoralized the whole team. Kentucky proved how good they are with their most recent performance.

We really dont in the trenches. Once they got the absurd lead via pick 6s, the game was custom made for them given our qb woes.

KY just proved their like us, capable of losing to another pathetically average team.

We really dont in the trenches. Once they got the absurd lead via pick 6s, the game was custom made for them given our qb woes.

KY just proved their like us, capable of losing to another pathetically average team.
Overall talent on the OL matches Kentucky. We had a lot of rushing yards in that game. Kentucky is solid in the trenches but not world beaters and nowhere close to Georgia and Alabama in the trenches

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer

Even after the pick 6's we ran the ball on them pretty easily and our defense was completely shutting them down before the slew of interception after the fumble. Looked to me that we were pretty obviously more talented early on. If JG doesn't throw those picks we likely blow them out.

Overall talent on the OL matches Kentucky. We had a lot of rushing yards in that game. Kentucky is solid in the trenches but not world beaters and nowhere close to Georgia and Alabama in the trenches

And once you spot them a 14 point lead the entire dynamics change.

I'm guessing the data would suggest 2 pick sixes would mean a team loses the majority of the time.

Even after the pick 6's we ran the ball on them pretty easily and our defense was completely shutting them down before the slew of interception after the fumble. Looked to me that we were pretty obviously more talented early on. If JG doesn't throw those picks we likely blow them out.

Perhaps we do. At this point it is hard to imagine blowing anyone out with JG. Against average teams he seems to have a really good game maybe 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4.

Reactions: cgrish
Perhaps we do. At this point it is hard to imagine blowing anyone out with JG. Against average teams he seems to have a really good game maybe 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4.
We beat Missouri by 23 points or something like that. Same or more should have happened against Kentucky.

For those digital warriors out there who don’t understand the actual schedule and challenges Tennessee has had please read

1. Due to COVID, NO backup QB has been developed due to MANDATED quarantine from contact tracing. Blame Trump, Blame Biden, Blame China, Blame whoever. You can’t train a backup in 4 practices.
Nice try at spinning the situation. I’ll blame the incompetent QB coach, offensive coordinator and head coach. Shrout is in his third year here. Maurer is in his second year. Other coaching staffs around the nation are sucessfully playing true freshmen. Only UT’s incompetent coaching staff thinks it takes a lifetime to get a QB up to speed.

Nice try at spinning the situation. I’ll blame the incompetent QB coach, offensive coordinator and head coach. Shrout is in his third year here. Maurer is in his second year. Other coaching staffs around the nation are sucessfully playing true freshmen. Only UT’s incompetent coaching staff thinks it takes a lifetime to get a QB up to speed.
This. Good post.

We have a solid defense. Not stellar like UGA, but solid. Middle of the pack SEC.

With a decent QB...who can put together drives and score points, the statistics of our defense would be much, much better. The time of possession in our games is nearly 2 to 1 ....meaning our defense is on that field for 40 mins out of 60 . Twice as much as our opponents. Even with our improved depth across the roster, we will never be able to beat the big 3 on our schedule with JGs raggedy butt at QB.

He has never beaten them...0 and 8 .

Overall, even with the creampuffs, JG is...

9 and 18 as a starter. Loses 2 games for every single game he manages to win as a starter. ..

No quarterback in UT history with 20 or more games has even come close to that terrible winning % at 33%.....

JG will cost CJP his job if he doesn't make a change . Not this year...but all the losses from this year, especially to UK, will definitely be a factor when he is let go. Just like BYU and GSU last year. Losing to inferior teams will get you fired at UT....losing to UK and Vandy will get you fired at UT....

JG will absolutely get you fired at UT....Weinke is likely already gone....Chaney better watch out or he will be gone, too...

Reactions: tbh
Lol. I’ve heard it all now. We’ve had issues on defense since game one. That has nothing to do with who the quarterback is. Good grief.
The main issue being that we can't generate any pressure on the QB with our down linemen.
Whether that was the only reason the DL coach got the ax, remains to be seen.

I disagree and if they would have started maurer and opened the playbook up we actually had about 3 breaks that would have for sure made the game go into the 4th.
I think it woulda mattered in terms of showing any progress or national perception. I’d make them earn it. We didn’t even blitz 1 time in the first half. No shots in their soft secondary until too late. The Xs and Os still matter a little bit ...do you remember 2009 bama game we almost pulled off? Did you see the Ole Miss/Bama game a few weeks ago? Same if not more talent gap that came down to the wire

2009...wasn't that Kiffin's year with Crompton and two walk-on brothers starting on the OL ? This is the same Kiffin who coached Ole Miss to 40+ points this year against Bama with a new team and a new starting QB. Add 600+ yards on offense. They didn't win but their game was more exciting to watch than TN's disaster on Saturday. Coaching does matter and TN just does not appear to have it.

Reactions: KarnsTownVol

VN Store

Back